Player Discussion Zach Redmond (Cleared Waivers- Sent Down)

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The scores the last 2 games might have something to say about this.

Not really
Pateryn got more than 15 min of ice time only twice in the season so far (the first game of the season, and in the 0-10 loss against Columbus).

Barberio and Hanley, it's even less.

Redmond is getting a lot more icetime than the others because he's playing great.
He skates really well, he helps the transition a lot, and has barely done any mistakes so far.
He even got 3 pts in 2 games.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
I love how comfortable with the puck he is. Head is always up. Nice summer pick-up. Hope he can stay healthy.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
He is way more complete than Tom Gilbert IMO. Tom was paid to what he brought to other teams, not to what he was bringing to the habs. He just needs to stay healthy. I still don't know how physical he is and one question remains unanswered: can he fight? :sarcasm:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I read Redmond's wiki page. He's a triplet. Awesome!

At 15, he suffered a transient ischemic attack (stroke) and had to re-learn to walk & talk. Then that horrific injury. The guy's been through some trauma. Tough kid.

It's only 2 games but he's been good so far. Good outlet passer. Good skater. He's never been able to stick anywhere, so I'm sure we'll see his warts soon enough. Good depth D and cheap.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Next to Beaulieu? Who should be in top 4 but is fine where he is for now.

According to what? Beaulieu's draft rank? Beaulieu hasn't shown that he's more than a 5th D at the NHL level -- maybe he doesn't have what it takes to be more.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
According to what? Beaulieu's draft rank? Beaulieu hasn't shown that he's more than a 5th D at the NHL level -- maybe he doesn't have what it takes to be more.

He has shown and he is a top 4 D. What he lacks is consistency.
He would be in the top 4 of a lot of teams.
He would be playing in our top pairing if it wasn't for the emergence of Emelin

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Have to agree 100%. Beaulieu has shown more consistency and should eventually make his way to top pairing. Right now the pairings are doing well but Emelin is not a top pairing D over the long haul. However hard to monkey with the linep lately.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

He's shown some flashes but as you rightly say, he lacks consistency and that can be due to a lot of factors -- maybe lacking consistency is his ceiling. He makes the same mistakes over and over. Provides little in the way of offence, takes a lot of risks, is not reliable in his own zone -- essentially is manifesting the type of attributes and limitations that make him more suited to a bottom pairing role.

I very much doubt he would be a no. 4 on another team, unless it's a bottom dweller where a revolving door of low level Ds exists -- he's no no. 4 -- if he were, Bergevin may not have had such a difficult time trying to get value for him over the summer.

FWIW, even if Emelin were not getting top 4 minutes, I don't think it would have mattered one bit what Beaulieu's role would have been -- he'd have to earn that top 4 role on his own, not on account of someone else failing.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Combined.
Greg may have a physical edge but Zach is a Hockey Player.

I'm liking our #5-6-7 more with Redmond.

I don't want to see Barberio anymore...he will watch/stare/eat popcorn while the opposing players crash/fall on Price. Seen him do that TWICE already...that's enough.

Barberio lets opposing players crash on Price and then goes back to the bench like nothing happened. I don't want that kind of dman on our Habs. No way.

Emelin...Weber
Markov...Petry
Beaulieu...Redmond
Hanley...Pateryn

Add an Oduya and/or Seidenberg a la cheap? (at the March trade deadline).

Obviously, I want a McDonagh, Vlasic, Hjalmarsson, but...the price would be VERY VERY expensive (especially for McDonagh and Vlasic). And...why would NY and SJ trade those awesome dmen to us? To get Sergachev...that would be the main reason. But, I'd only do that if McDonagh and Vlasic are guaranteeing to be Habs for at least 4-5 seasons. Sergachev for 1-2 yrs of McDonagh/Vlasic...forget it. Gotta be at least 4-5 seasons.

xcnuck

Dec 11, 2007
SD
Redmond

Personally, I think Redmond does not fit the Habs system. He joins the rush when there isn't a forward in position to back him up, which is what led to the 3-on-1 the Bruins scored on yesterday. Taking a long shift and then trying to keep up with Byron on a rush while the forwards were changing... come on, you should know better than that. He's lucky he had Beaulieu as a partner to cover for him.

Maybe there is a team out there looking for an offensive-minded D-man. I think he's a guy we could consider trading for a forward. We're going to need some grinders while Galchenyuk and Desharnais are out...

Disagree with previous poster about Barberio - he's way more defensively responsible than Redmond.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I read Redmond's wiki page. He's a triplet. Awesome!

At 15, he suffered a transient ischemic attack (stroke) and had to re-learn to walk & talk. Then that horrific injury. The guy's been through some trauma. Tough kid.

It's only 2 games but he's been good so far. Good outlet passer. Good skater. He's never been able to stick anywhere, so I'm sure we'll see his warts soon enough. Good depth D and cheap.

:amazed:
Crazy story
I discover new diseases everyday.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Personally, I think Redmond does not fit the Habs system. He joins the rush when there isn't a forward in position to back him up, which is what led to the 3-on-1 the Bruins scored on yesterday. Taking a long shift and then trying to keep up with Byron on a rush while the forwards were changing... come on, you should know better than that. He's lucky he had Beaulieu as a partner to cover for him.

Maybe there is a team out there looking for an offensive-minded D-man. I think he's a guy we could consider trading for a forward. We're going to need some grinders while Galchenyuk and Desharnais are out...

Disagree with previous poster about Barberio - he's way more defensively responsible than Redmond.

let him play a few games. He didn't play for 8 months before his 1st game with MTL.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com

You have it backwards. The forward should cover him when he moves it up. A dman has to assume a forward will cover him. No one did, that's on the forward, not the dman.

xcnuck

Dec 11, 2007
SD
You have it backwards. The forward should cover him when he moves it up. A dman has to assume a forward will cover him. No one did, that's on the forward, not the dman.

watch the play again, the guys were changing, it was the end of his shift, he had no one to cover him. the D can't always assume there will be a guy back, he needs to make sure before joining the rush before taking himself out of position. if he goes for a change on that play (which he needed to), there is no odd-man rush. maybe he just needs coaching, but for a guy with over 100 NHL GP he should know these things.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Getting back into game shape, will take more than a few games, especially with all new teammates. Don't forget Redmond was injured in pre-season, had two warmup games at the AHL level, then straight up to the Habs to play, his timing will be off speed for NHL competition(AHL speed/talent is not even close to NHL's)not to mention knowing each teammates forte's.(Give him a few practices to become aware of the limitations, most Habs defencemen employ.):nod::nod::nod:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He looks a bit more polished than beaulieu with the puck, but his play without the puck needs to get better in order to grab a full time roll.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
All these bottom guys are marginal players and need to play exactly how the coach wants or someone will take their spot. That's the life of these bottom guys and it keeps them honest and hungry. Barberio pateryn Redmond Beaulieu they will all be in and out of the lineup that's why they are 5 6 and 7 DMen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad