Yzerman Media Availability; July 4th (12:45)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Nobody asked why we paid to give Walman away?
He basically said they had 2 d-men sitting in the stands at the end of the season. One of them was Walman at the end of last year, the other was Holl. He also said they may have one more deal but didn't give any particulars. Given he said they left enough cap space to sign Mo, Ray and Berggren, I think the deal is to send some salary to another team. But that's just a guess.

Reactions: heyfolks

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why should we dump him anywhere? Let the prospects play at Griffins, not steal ice-time from them and Holl sit on the bench.

Why there is this HUGE NEED for dumping him? Let him just be. We need extra guys for injury cases. He is insurance guy.
Depends where else you want to carry depth. Keeping 7 d instead of 8 gives us more flexibility elsewhere. Also, it's almost certain he would pass thru waivers. Husso would also fit, but I think someone grabs Lyons if we expose him.

I'm not trying to dump him, he's just the safest guy to move thru waivers if we need to.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He basically said they had 2 d-men sitting in the stands at the end of the season. One of them was Walman at the end of last year, the other was Holl. He also said they may have one more deal but didn't give any particulars. Given he said they left enough cap space to sign Mo, Ray and Berggren, I think the deal is to send some salary to another team. But that's just a guess.
I thought it was interesting he said we can’t do that again (have millions sitting in the box) but we’re on track to do that again.

Especially if these kids play like he is saying… then for sure one of Maatta/Holl/Petry is in the box.

So you would almost assume there are more moves coming? I wish someone would have called this out.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I thought it was interesting he said we can’t do that again (have millions sitting in the box) but we’re on track to do that again.

Especially if these kids play like he is saying… then for sure one of Maatta/Holl/Petry is in the box.

So you would almost assume there are more moves coming? I wish someone would have called this out.
I think it is pretty easy to see what happened. I mentioned it in another thread:
  • Detroit gets exposed by Ottawa late in the 2022-23 sesaon.
  • Yzerman makes some trades and adds a bunch in free agency last summer.
  • Ray + Mo contracts and youth is starting to push for playing time, so he's got to start moving out salary.
Like I said in the lineup thread, I have to imagine they trade or waive Holl if he's expected to spend another season in the stands. You can't let $3.4 million sit unused for this season and the next one. That's the one you really need to move. Husso would seem to be an option to be moved if he loses out on the starter spot, but I have no confidence in our goaltending at this point, so I can see carrying 3 goalies and having the other in Grand Rapids.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Depends where else you want to carry depth. Keeping 7 d instead of 8 gives us more flexibility elsewhere. Also, it's almost certain he would pass thru waivers. Husso would also fit, but I think someone grabs Lyons if we expose him.

I'm not trying to dump him, he's just the safest guy to move thru waivers if we need to.
Part of why I was annoyed with the waiver exempt kids getting pushed down all the time. We have guys on claim resistant contracts that can move up and down just as freely.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it is pretty easy to see what happened. I mentioned it in another thread:
  • Detroit gets exposed by Ottawa late in the 2022-23 sesaon.
  • Yzerman makes some trades and adds a bunch in free agency last summer.
  • Ray + Mo contracts and youth is starting to push for playing time, so he's got to start moving out salary.
Like I said in the lineup thread, I have to imagine they trade or waive Holl if he's expected to spend another season in the stands. You can't let $3.4 million sit unused for this season and the next one. That's the one you really need to move. Husso would seem to be an option to be moved if he loses out on the starter spot, but I have no confidence in our goaltending at this point, so I can see carrying 3 goalies and having the other in Grand Rapids.
If no one claims him off waivers that money is gonna sit there again.

And what’s the plan with Maatta? Between Edvinsson, Johansson, Chiarot, Gustafson I don’t see a spot for him. Are you gonna have a 3m player as your #7D?

I don’t see how we are not going to be in the exact same scenario we were last year unless he does something here. And I’m not sure anyone is just going to take these players off our hands for us. And I wouldn’t expect them get claimed off waivers eitbed.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Gustavsson
Maatta - Johansson
Holl
Petry

Doesn’t look great no matter how you pair these guys lol

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
But coaches have eye tests too, and many more of them, we don't know what or when Mo (or any of the crew) is not 100%, and after him for RHD...the wings got what the wings got (Petry was the best option on the bench?). If Newsy thought the team was better off some nights with Mo at 20 minutes versus 23 or 25 or more, then I think we have to have at least some faith in the coaching staff and trainers.

I personally would think it is better to have Mo play all 82 games with some variable time versus "nicks factor" rather than run him down against the training staff suggestions and only get him 76 games, but what do I know...and it is not like teams advertise when players are not 100%, so when they are playing a little less than their norm, I always suspect there is a "nagging nick" reason not being shared.

Lalonde thought 41 games of Chiarot-Seider was good and played Husso into the dirt at the beginning of the season even when he sucked. His eye test is shit and I have very little faith in him right now. Especially after hearing some rumors that hey lost the room late last year.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Lalonde thought 41 games of Chiarot-Seider was good and played Husso into the dirt at the beginning of the season even when he sucked. His eye test is shit and I have very little faith in him right now. Especially after hearing some rumors that hey lost the room late last year.

I'm stunned that Yzerman is allowing Lalonde to coach his players after Lalonde openly and repeatedly said that their winning wasn't sustainable and that "well our division is really good and we may not be in a playoff chase next year because New Jersey will be better".

I don't give a damn about anyone else's team. It's your job to make this team better than the competition.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I'm stunned that Yzerman is allowing Lalonde to coach his players after Lalonde openly and repeatedly said that their winning wasn't sustainable and that "well our division is really good and we may not be in a playoff chase next year because New Jersey will be better".

Same. Saying shit like that and showing that you don't believe in your players is a really, really good way of losing the room and getting piss poor performance from your team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don't give a damn about anyone else's team. It's your job to make this team better than the competition.
Yzerman questioned if it was sustainable in this very press conference.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Same. Saying shit like that and showing that you don't believe in your players is a really, really good way of losing the room and getting piss poor performance from your team.

Not to mention I got so sick and tired of listening to every presser and hearing Lalonde constantly gush about the top players on the other team. It's become clear that he's not head coaching material.

Yzerman questioned if it was sustainable in this very press conference.

Then he's not doing his job. It's unacceptable to be unclear on making the playoffs entering Year 6 as GM. You can only sell this "patience" talking point to the fans for so long. And I don't want to hear the usual immediate go-to defense from the Steve bots of "but look at what he inherited from Ken Holland". This is 95% Yzerman's roster. At some point, he needs to be held accountable for the terrible contracts given to players like Copp and Holl and Husso.

If his name was Bob Smith instead of Steve Yzerman, multiple threads would be calling for his firing right now.

Reactions: FMichael

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know another GM in a serious hockey market that would get away with essentially saying they're not any better than they were last year heading into Year 6 on the job.
I get that there are a lot of unknowns with the current state and future of this team.

But it is kind of crazy how he is allowed to just be so non committal when it comes to anything regarding the team, or the direction or timeline of the team.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I get that there are a lot of unknowns with the current state and future of this team.

But it is kind of crazy how he is allowed to just be so non committal when it comes to anything regarding the team, or the direction or timeline of the team.

He might not be as non-committal to ownership and Wings staff, players, etc. He just doesn't share his plans publicly other than to give broad, generalizations "We want to win" "Please be patient" "We want to build for the long-term", etc. etc.

For all we know, he has daily meetings with ownership to go over a detailed roadmap of every iota of information and step, etc. (I doubt it, but more to make a point).

Yzerman doesn't share anything - thats just his style? Just because they are unknown to us, doesn't mean they are unknown to them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He might not be as non-committal to ownership and Wings staff, players, etc. He just doesn't share his plans publicly other than to give broad, generalizations "We want to win" "Please be patient" "We want to build for the long-term", etc. etc.

For all we know, he has daily meetings with ownership to go over a detailed roadmap of every iota of information and step, etc. (I doubt it, but more to make a point).

Yzerman doesn't share anything - thats just his style? Just because they are unknown to us, doesn't mean they are unknown to them.
Tell us you have a detailed timeline but don’t want to share it. Give us something.

Thinking you owe nothing (as far as explaining the plan/timeline) to the people who put their dollars into the team in a very puclic-facing role is very frustrating.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Oh I'm guessing the conversations with ownership and management are MUCH more detailed and blunt about players, plans, expectations, etc. And more direct with the players as well.

Are there GMs that really are more straightforward in public interviews?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Yzerman has the patience of Kutuzov when the French invaded Russia.

I mentioned this several months ago, but Florida/Tampa/Boston/Toronto aren't going anywhere for the next few seasons. They're perennial playoff teams. Too much talent. At least three teams make the playoffs from the Metropolitan division. That means the Wings are only playing for one playoff spot. So are five or six other playoff contenders.

Not enough spots to fight over until we can break into the top 4 of the Atlantic.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

What specifically were you expecting him to say? It is an Yzerman press conference, never a source for great commentary on the team.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
A poster on a Red Wings subreddit commented on how Walman became a problem in the locker room (poster didn’t mention who he knows on the Wings roster but his comment was made within a few days after the regular season ending).

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad