Yzerman Media Availability; July 4th (12:45)

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
nice tan but it's seriously time to ditch the Dasani water as much money as Stevie's got he should be rocking Fiji water for sure

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I struggle to figure out how you come up with the notion that Rasmus Andersson = Jakob Chychrun = Jake Walman
I never said that that's why you struggle with it.

I'm liking the idea Berggren learning from both Kane and Tarasenko.
Larkin
Kane
Senko
Cat
Razor
That's a lot of offensive power. They should score a bunch this year which is exciting by itself.

I'm liking the idea Berggren learning from both Kane and Tarasenko.
Larkin
Kane
Senko
Cat
Razor
That's a lot of offensive power. They should score a bunch this year which is exciting by itself.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I never said that that's why you struggle with it.

Larkin
Kane
Senko
Cat
Razor

Larkin
Kane
Senko
Cat
Razor
I agree. So nice you said it twice.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Larkin
Kane
Senko
Cat
Razor

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
He said it's hard to move money (cap hit), so he needed to add a pick. He went out and got a free 2nd rounder in the Gibson trade while getting an equally as good, and much needed prospect (as we lacked this type of prospect in the system).

So the "we paid a 2nd" really depends how you look at it. We just gave Grier Predator's 2nd that was free to us. Kinda like trading a paperclip for a stapler with a box of staples.... then using a roll of staples to give to the garbage man to take our trash.

Otherwise we'd still have Gibson and still no free 2nd. Either way, that 2nd was never going to be used in this weak draft by Detroit. I'm not saying Yzerman fleeced Trotz (so overused), but Yzerman got exactly the player he wanted and still somehow got Trotz to agree to throw in a free 2nd.
if anything, it was a 3 team trade, just not advertised in that way.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Why will it likely be worse? Those guys were all on the team last season too.
Yah and they are a year older too. Petry will be 37 in December. Holl is still on the team and might actually play more this season. If you listened to Yzerman's press conference he mentioned that because of few injuries to the Blueline some players sat more then planned.
Walman and Ghost's offense is gone replaced by less.
Who is going to play with Seider all year Chiarot?

It won't be worse than last year. At all. And yes there's some bad contracts but that's the way it is when you're a bad team.

Can you explain how you get rid of those contracts and attract star dmen to replace them?

What would you have said if we traded chychrun for Jensen and a third?

This board would have exploded

There's also the fact that there was no way Ottawa was making that trade with an inter divisional rival that's on a similar rebuild/playoff timeline as them.

Don't you think 15 teams would make that trade? They traded him to an aging caps team desperate to cling onto another playoff berth
You don't sign or trade for shitty contracts in the first place it isn't hard. That Holl deal never should have been signed and I said so at the time and same with Petry. This isn't rocket science here we are spending more then 8.5 million on Maatta, Petry and Holl. Roy signed for 5.75 for example.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
He said it's hard to move money (cap hit), so he needed to add a pick. He went out and got a free 2nd rounder in the Gibson trade while getting an equally as good, and much needed prospect (as we lacked this type of prospect in the system).

So the "we paid a 2nd" really depends how you look at it. We just gave Grier Predator's 2nd that was free to us. Kinda like trading a paperclip for a stapler with a box of staples.... then using a roll of staples to give to the garbage man to take our trash.

Otherwise we'd still have Gibson and still no free 2nd. Either way, that 2nd was never going to be used in this weak draft by Detroit. I'm not saying Yzerman fleeced Trotz (so overused), but Yzerman got exactly the player he wanted and still somehow got Trotz to agree to throw in a free 2nd.
wolverine.png

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
nice tan but it's seriously time to ditch the Dasani water as much money as Stevie's got he should be rocking Fiji water for sure

No joke, Dasani is the worst bottled water I have ever tasted. It is like some super salt chemical drink. Even the no name and lower priced ones taste fine, but Dasani is horrible.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Yah and they are a year older too. Petry will be 37 in December. Holl is still on the team and might actually play more this season. If you listened to Yzerman's press conference he mentioned that because of few injuries to the Blueline some players sat more then planned.

You don't sign or trade for shitty contracts in the first place it isn't hard. That Holl deal never should have been signed and I said so at the time and same with Petry. This isn't rocket science here we are spending more then 8.5 million on Maatta, Petry and Holl. Roy signed for 5.75 for example.
Oh good. So somehow captain hindsight can fix us. Great.

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021

I have no issue with the Maatta deal. He helped stabilize things at a dark time and was pretty solid the first season. Petry and Holl, that's a little different. I guess Holl made a little bit of sense given the situation at that moment, but an overpayment in money, and more so in term. Then, we added Petry, and compounded the problem. He's been a warrior in the past, and looked better in the second half, but still ended up being an overpayment in money and roster space.
Now, we put it in the context of Chiarot, who was fine last season I guess, and we end up with a logjam. I don't think it's the end of the world, but the totality of those defense moves turned out to smell a little like bengay.
Stevie could have had a little more faith in the prospects and not gotten so jammed up.
I'm sucking down the rye at the moment though, so grain of salt...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I have no issue with the Maatta deal. He helped stabilize things at a dark time and was pretty solid the first season. Petry and Holl, that's a little different. I guess Holl made a little bit of sense given the situation at that moment, but an overpayment in money, and more so in term. Then, we added Petry, and compounded the problem. He's been a warrior in the past, and looked better in the second half, but still ended up being an overpayment in money and roster space.
Now, we put it in the context of Chiarot, who was fine last season I guess, and we end up with a logjam. I don't think it's the end of the world, but the totality of those defense moves turned out to smell a little like bengay.
Stevie could have had a little more faith in the prospects and not gotten so jammed up.
I'm sucking down the rye at the moment though, so grain of salt...

Petry is fine as a 3rd pairing guy. The problem is Uncle Fester playing him more than Mo Seider some nights. It's bonkers to think that Petry was getting 22-23 minutes some nights while Mo was getting less. I just don't understand the thought process there.

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
Petry is fine as a 3rd pairing guy. The problem is Uncle Fester playing him more than Mo Seider some nights. It's bonkers to think that Petry was getting 22-23 minutes some nights while Mo was getting less. I just don't understand the thought process there.
I guess trying to not bury Mo makes some sense, but really that sh!t seems like valuing experience over actual capability.
Edit: Kinda reads like overvaluing the predictability of a player over anything else. As a coach you don't have to think much, because you know exactly what they will do, whatever that's worth.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I guess trying to not bury Mo makes some sense, but really that sh!t seems like valuing experience over actual capability.

And that's a major problem I'm seeing with both Yzerman and Lalonde. It's time to let our kids prove themselves but they're still riding busses in the minors.

Reactions: FMichael

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
And that's a major problem I'm seeing with both Yzerman and Lalonde. It's time to let our kids prove themselves but they're still riding busses in the minors.
I do get the notion of not letting the young players just learn to get clobbered every night. I think a culture of losing can be a real problem that gets teams stuck even with a whole lot of talent.
But, this isn't the '02 wings. I think we could be at least a little more aggressive bringing in the youth. Vets are not learning anything from barely missing the playoffs. It's a balancing act of course, but maybe we could have had a couple more prospects learning from that near miss.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Understand people wondering why Seider doesn't get extra ice time, but there's one thing not often mentioned. Give me the name of a defenseman who puts in more d-zone work, dishes and takes more hits, is as challenged by top players, blocks as many shots, is as quick to get to corners and often shadows his man above the faceoff circles, and still is getting up-ice. The physical and mental demands of his shifts are unreal. Always targeted on forechecks, often double-teamed. Faces by far the highest quality of competition of any defenseman in the league. His durability and endurance are mind-boggling. Yet, we want him to play more. I get it, we want him to play as much as possible, especially given the lack of D quality otherwise. But, despite all evidence to the contrary, he is not a machine and I think to some extent the coaches are trying to keep him healthy and available for the extreme defensive workload he is given and takes on willingly every shift.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Holl deal itself is fine, imo. For grabbing a guy off free agency to come in and play 17-18 minutes a night on the third pair and eat some pk, neither the term nor the cap hit seem bad to me. Is it bottom of the barrel cheap? No, but the troy stechers of the NHL are not something I care to revisit any time soon.

What kills the Holl deal is doubling down on Petry. I get Yzerman's thinking that "hey, someone always gets hurt, roster space will resolve itself" but Petry was the unnecessary signing at that point. Is he better than Holl? Yeah, but we're still buying a second guy to fill that one spot. Hopefully we just dump Holl into GR this year from the start if he's not playing every night.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hopefully we just dump Holl into GR this year from the start if he's not playing every night.

Why should we dump him anywhere? Let the prospects play at Griffins, not steal ice-time from them and Holl sit on the bench.

Why there is this HUGE NEED for dumping him? Let him just be. We need extra guys for injury cases. He is insurance guy.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
But coaches have eye tests too, and many more of them, we don't know what or when Mo (or any of the crew) is not 100%, and after him for RHD...the wings got what the wings got (Petry was the best option on the bench?). If Newsy thought the team was better off some nights with Mo at 20 minutes versus 23 or 25 or more, then I think we have to have at least some faith in the coaching staff and trainers.

I personally would think it is better to have Mo play all 82 games with some variable time versus "nicks factor" rather than run him down against the training staff suggestions and only get him 76 games, but what do I know...and it is not like teams advertise when players are not 100%, so when they are playing a little less than their norm, I always suspect there is a "nagging nick" reason not being shared.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad