Yzerman Media Availability; July 4th (12:45)

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Helene asked 2-3 things, one of which was external issues, and he said a little of all she asked why they moved him.
Okay but none of these answers are what I'd call "plausible". They only explain why we got rid of Walman. They don't even attempt to explain why we paid a second to do it.

Reactions: David D

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ed, Al, and Jonny are up. Use them, Lalonde.

Just like planned. Nothing news really there.

It was good to hear he said Edvinsson is getting a big role. Our biggest addition to Top4 defence.

Own kid. Everybody must be hating that.

And also confirmed Berggren role, when people in here are seeing him as a trade bait.

Great to hear that Stevie sees the team as I do. With smart brains going forward.

Walman case was already closed on that earlier presser. People should stop being butt-hurt and get over it. That trade was a roster spot opening for Ed and cap space opening for Talbot. Absolutely a Great trade. Sometimes you have to live with the negatives, to create more positives. And that just happened.

We will move on and let's start the hunt towards 100-point season.

Reactions: ShakenNotStirred

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015

It was good to hear he said Edvinsson is getting a big role. Our biggest addition to Top4 defence.

And also confirmed Berggren role, when people in here are seeing him as a trade bait.

Great to hear that Stevie sees the team as I do. With smart brains going forward.

Walman case was already closed on that earlier presser. People should stop being butt-hurt and get over it. That trade was a roster spot opening for Ed and cap space opening for Talbot. Absolutely a Great trade. Sometimes you have to live with the negatives, to create more positives. And that just happened.

To be fair he's bigged up players before and still traded them. So let's wait and see what happens with Berggren.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Really don't like him saying he is good with the blueline they have right now.
What's not to like? What is he supposed to do to fix it? Everyone wants the young kids to get a chance. Well here it is. Edvinsson and Johansson get a chance. Gustafsson is a better ghost. Sure we'd all love another legit top 4 dman but he hasn't developed yet.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Okay but none of these answers are what I'd call "plausible". They only explain why we got rid of Walman. They don't even attempt to explain why we paid a second to do it.

He said it's hard to move money (cap hit), so he needed to add a pick. He went out and got a free 2nd rounder in the Gibson trade while getting an equally as good, and much needed prospect (as we lacked this type of prospect in the system).

So the "we paid a 2nd" really depends how you look at it. We just gave Grier Predator's 2nd that was free to us. Kinda like trading a paperclip for a stapler with a box of staples.... then using a roll of staples to give to the garbage man to take our trash.

Otherwise we'd still have Gibson and still no free 2nd. Either way, that 2nd was never going to be used in this weak draft by Detroit. I'm not saying Yzerman fleeced Trotz (so overused), but Yzerman got exactly the player he wanted and still somehow got Trotz to agree to throw in a free 2nd.

Last edited:

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
He said it's hard to move money (cap hit), so he needed to add a pick. He went out and got a free 2nd rounder in the Gibson trade while getting an equally as good, and much needed prospect (as we lacked this type of prospect in the system).

So the "we paid a 2nd" really depends how you look at it. We just gave Grier Predator's 2nd that was free to us. Kinda like trading a paperclip for a stapler with a box of staples.... then using a roll of staples to give to the garbage man to take our trash.

Otherwise we'd still have Gibson and still no free 2nd. Either way, that 2nd was never going to be used in this weak draft by Detroit. I'm not saying Yzerman fleeced Trotz (so overused), but Yzerman got exactly the player he wanted and still somehow got Trotz to agree to throw in a free 2nd.
Don't bring logic into this. We need to find reasons to complain. If he fixes one problem we double down on a different one.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
To be fair he's bigged up players before and still traded them. So let's wait and see what happens with Berggren.

I'd like him to be our bargain producer with 1.1M at the 3rd line.

Then, his value goes up, and he could be trade bait at next off-season.

But currently he is nothing, until shown something.

I believe he will be easily 0.5 ppg producer.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Mostly the Walman trade was to open a spot for Edvinsson, and space for Talbot at same time.

So if Fabbri deal is opening space for Tarasenko, the deal versus free agency go like this:

Fabbri + 4th <> G Alenxader + Tarasenko

Walman + 2nd <> Cam Talbot

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Mostly the Walman trade was to open a spot for Edvinsson, and space for Talbot at same time.

So if Fabbri deal is opening space for Tarasenko, the deal versus free agency go like this:

That Walman trade is still horrific lol. The Fabbri one is a clear win for Detroit.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal

Even if he’s not in the plans and is to be traded, Yzerman would never publicly announce it.

Walman was traded because of internal locker room issues… let’s just say his off ice performance =/= his on ice performance.

I look forward to seeing Ed and Albert playing this year. Brings excitement seeing our young prospects finally flourishing after all these years.

He also mentioned how Raymond is also expected to be taking another step in his progression and I think for every fan; that should be the most exciting thing to monitor/watch this upcoming season.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It's horrific, when you refuse to understand the purpose.

When Edvinsson becomes a great defenceman for us, you must cheer and celebrate how "horrific" that trade was.

Just get over it.

Time to move on.
Flawed logic. You are basically saying I have a great potential replacement so a lesser asset can be disregarded for much lower than it's value. That's not good business.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Flawed logic. You are basically saying I have a great potential replacement so a lesser asset can be disregarded for much lower than it's value. That's not good business.

What exactly do you believe walmans value was? Please enlighten us.

You are convinced Yzerman called 1 gm and just said I'll give you walman and a 2nd?

Reactions: RabidBadger

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

Trading Gibson also opened another contract slot, seeing as the wings will be at 46/50 when the 4 RFAs are signed, that may come into play later in the year. Just a footnote...as I note several teams are near the limit without full rosters yet...there may be several teams will be loading up on rookies this year, or trading clusters of assets.

Going to miss the Capitals Friendly...

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Nobody asked why we paid to give Walman away?
The media in Detroit for the Red Wings is as spineless as they come. They never ever ask Yzerman anything remotely tough.

What's not to like? What is he supposed to do to fix it? Everyone wants the young kids to get a chance. Well here it is. Edvinsson and Johansson get a chance. Gustafsson is a better ghost. Sure we'd all love another legit top 4 dman but he hasn't developed yet.
Well Justin Holl, Petry and Maatta are on the team so start with getting rid of them. Giving Yzerman a free pass on a Blueline that will likely be worse then last year is laughable.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
The media in Detroit for the Red Wings is as spineless as they come. They never ever ask Yzerman anything remotely tough.

Well Justin Holl, Petry and Maatta are on the team so start with getting rid of them. Giving Yzerman a free pass on a Blueline that will likely be worse then last year is laughable.
It won't be worse than last year. At all. And yes there's some bad contracts but that's the way it is when you're a bad team.

Can you explain how you get rid of those contracts and attract star dmen to replace them?

What would you rather have Walman and a second or Jensen and a 3rd?

What would you have said if we traded chychrun for Jensen and a third?

This board would have exploded

There's also the fact that there was no way Ottawa was making that trade with an inter divisional rival that's on a similar rebuild/playoff timeline as them.

Don't you think 15 teams would make that trade? They traded him to an aging caps team desperate to cling onto another playoff berth

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Why will it likely be worse? Those guys were all on the team last season too.

Reactions: norrisnick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad