Yzerman Media Availability; July 4th (12:45)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not a press conference that really made my feel great about anything.

Believe he was asked if he thought the team was better than last year and he said it’s probably the same.

The whole vague spiel about not having a timeline and preaching patience and we’re still building is getting kinda old.

He mentioned Berggren and Johansson several times and said he expects a bigger role for Edvinsson.

Did say at one point another move (implied a trade) was possible but nothing imminent.

Also said Ed, Johansson, Gustafson can play both sides on defense when asked about pairings.

Don’t know if he mentioned Chiarot, Maatta, or Holl one time? Read into that what you will.

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
I wish someone would have flat out asked him about moving or trying to move the Holl contract. Other than that I liked what he said. I do think Derek will be on a tight leash if the team struggles defensively again. Steve talked about hopefully the team doesn't need so many dramatic ot wins, crazy comeback wins or blowing big leads. He fully expects then to be keeping more pucks out and with Coach Q available lalonde better be better.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I wish someone would have flat out asked him about moving or trying to move the Holl contract. Other than that I liked what he said. I do think Derek will be on a tight leash if the team struggles defensively again. Steve talked about hopefully the team doesn't need so many dramatic ot wins, crazy comeback wins or blowing big leads. He fully expects then to be keeping more pucks out and with Coach Q available lalonde better be better.
Seriously!! Helen St James is over here asking about nutrition when there are some super obviously questions that never get asked. Don’t understand it.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Yzerman treats media as entirely perfunctory. He knows he’s obligated to speak to them but sees them entirely as a liability. I think it was Friedman last year who basically told a couple of Yzerman stories but the TL;DR, he doesn’t share anything with them because there’s no point and he sees it as a competitive disadvantage to do so both with players and with other teams.

So he is both very … truthful with his answers but it’s all half truths by omission. “I’m happy with our defense”… yes, technically that is true, but what he doesn’t say is “…but I’m still actively going to try to add better players and remove ones I don’t think are performing”

Or “I fully expect our young players to play big roles going forward” but it’s the unspoken …”…in five years” or “…if they really commit to improving themselves”

He speaks in vague general truths because he just doesn’t see any point or value in sharing anything more than that with the press

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Not a press conference that really made my feel great about anything.

Believe he was asked if he thought the team was better than last year and he said it’s probably the same.

The whole vague spiel about not having a timeline and preaching patience and we’re still building is getting kinda old.

He mentioned Berggren and Johansson several times and said he expects a bigger role for Edvinsson.

Did say at one point another move (implied a trade) was possible but nothing imminent.

Also said Ed, Johansson, Gustafson can play both sides on defense when asked about pairings.

Don’t know if he mentioned Chiarot, Maatta, or Holl one time? Read into that what you will.

were you expecting him to pull out a chart and pointer? He's vague because he doesn't know what prospects are going to have an impact. He's vague because he doesn't know if a J.T. Miller type trade happens.

Otherwise, he did say 5 to 10 years. But it was unclear if he meant 5 to 10 years starting at the 2024 hockey season or when he came into office.

He didn't mention Maatta, Chairot or Holl by name, but he did mention he expected more injuries on defense last season, but they all stayed relatively healthy. This upcoming season he would rather not carry 6.4m in the press box.

Lastly, he said he's not done adding.

Nobody asked why we paid to give Walman away?

Yes. That was last week on draft day 2 and he gave a plausible answer.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Did think it was odd no one asked about Holl. But we know he tried to get rid of Holl at the trade deadline earlier this year so you'd imagine he's trying again now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad