Your Wildly Outrageous (History of) Hockey Opinions...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Marner, Matthews, Tavares, the entire leafs are all significantly worse playoff performers than Marcel Dionne.
IDK like that all is relative to expectations. Dionne is probably in the conversation during his peak as one of the best regular season players in the league (with like Trottier and Lafleur probably), at least at the forward position. So relative to those high expectations, he is *very* disappointing.

I think the only comparable in that group to Dionne's relative value is Matthews. No one thinks Marner is one of the best players in the league, and to the extent Tavares was ever in the conversation, it was like for two seasons at most. Is Matthews' disappointment at the same level as Dionne's? IDK not absurd. He scores at like a 30g pace in the postseason, which is pretty damn bad for a guy who averages like 50+ during his peak.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
IDK like that all is relative to expectations. Dionne is probably in the conversation during his peak as one of the best regular season players in the league (with like Trottier and Lafleur probably), at least at the forward position. So relative to those high expectations, he is *very* disappointing.

I think the only comparable in that group to Dionne's relative value is Matthews. No one thinks Marner is one of the best players in the league, and to the extent Tavares was ever in the conversation, it was like for two seasons at most. Is Matthews' disappointment at the same level as Dionne's? IDK not absurd. He scores at like a 30g pace in the postseason, which is pretty damn bad for a guy who averages like 50+ during his peak.

Dionne had better stats than Matthews, while playing on a worse team, while playing generally against better teams.

Reactions: lextune

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
No he didn't. The talent pool has expanded since 1985-1996.
Since 1985 till 1996 yes. Since 1996 till now? Definitely not. There are fewer Canadian males playing hockey today and the barrier for entry is higher and higher. It's not that the decline has been extreme but definitely somewhat tangible. The only country where hockey registration numbers have grown significantly is the USA but even within the USA all of the growth was done prior to the year 2000.

From the numbers I have for the USA,

Number of registered players
22/23 - 556186
01/02 - 525373

At first glance this might seem like a good extra 5% growth in the American talent pool. The problem is it includes adults and women. Once we isolate the male youth:

22/23 - 316184
01/02 - 365777

The peak was in the 03/04 season with 373k youth players. We are at about a 20% decline from the peak at this point. So since about 2010 or so we can say the US talent pool within the NHL has been decreasing too.

Massive decline within Eastern Europe. Unfortunately I don't have numbers from the communist era. In Russia there was a significant bounce back since the early 2000s when the number of youth players decreased all the way to mere 40k - now it's about 80k. In Czechia/Slovakia it continues to decrease to this day (another 20% since the early 00s). Pretty sure back in CSSR hockey was way bigger than in the early 00s as CSSR was a true powerhouse superior to Sweden/Finland. By the way the Finnish hockey is also down about 20% since the early 00s. Swedish hockey is up 10% though.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Lemieux peaking (88-93) during peak high talent is something that has a strong argument, US golden generation, east block before the impact of the 1991 collapse on youth, infrastructure, etc... happen on, almost certainly the peak for Canadian talents, Selanne-Sundin

It felt like was harder for Canada to win best on best in the 1987/1996 window than the 2010-2016 window.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Since 1985 till 1996 yes. Since 1996 till now? Definitely not.

Disagree.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Disagree.

I posted actual hockey data. You posted a population graph of how many people live in Canada. The talent pool in the game of ice hockey is the amount of people who play the sport, not the amount of people who live in Canada lol.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I posted actual hockey data. You posted a population graph of how many people live in Canada. The talent pool in the game of ice hockey is the amount of people who play the sport, not the amount of people who live in Canada lol.

Nobody claimed what you say here - that population = talent pool.

You did not prevail in the discussion that I linked.

Reactions: Voight

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Nobody claimed what you say here - that population = talent pool.
Yeah they tried to link not the entire population but the population of the male youngsters via the number of births. That is a very bad way of going about it and we both know it. The OP did it to reach his already preconceived conclusion.

You did not prevail in the discussion that I linked.
That is due to the heavy bias towards the pre-expansion era players. These two posts demolish all of the nonsense in the thread so I was not the only one criticizing what cannot really even be called methodology.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Dionne had better stats than Matthews, while playing on a worse team, while playing generally against better teams.
Like I said - I don't think it's an absurd comparison. I don't really care about the teams as a whole a lot because Matthews is going to get the top matchup of the opposing team no matter what his supporting cast is. Dionne going from 120ish points to 80ish points in the playoffs compared with Matthews going from something like 53 goals to 31 goals seems like a solid comparison, although I don't think Matthews' total PPG takes quite as a severe dip. The Kings also had really tough playoff matchups (as does Matthews in the Atlantic tbf).

I'd probably still give the edge to Dionne but I see the argument - especially since Matthews' primary value is as a goal scorer.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
26 months ago McDavid overtaking Lemieux seemed ludicrous. I still think the chance is small.

But 3 great playoffs in a row, an all time great season, and a very very good season. It at least seems possible now.

Lemieux was always the most vulnerable of the big four. At some point someone will overtake him.

Lemieux only played 316 games after his 30th birthday. It all comes down to how McDavid ages.

Aside from his rookie year, this season was the worst of his career with regards to his place in the scoring race.

Third place. That would be a career year for the majority of players.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Lemieux peaked in the most competitive era. Absolutely dominated the superstars of his day like Yzerman, Jagr, Bure, Sakic or Lindros.
If 1992-93 just happened, we'd say Lemieux's competition were the ones that were actually top 10 in scoring: LaFontaine, Oates, Yzerman, Selanne, Turgeon, Gilmour, Mogilny, Robitaille, Recchi.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Ok, digging in on this, I'm not positive that I understand all of it to be honest.

I don't get the Eddie Joyal reference. I've already pre-dealt with the WHA top 20 scorers, it definitely has the reverse effect than I think you want here. I mean, we're talking top 20 scorers. That's elite. Most of the guys couldn't do anything in the NHL and then more couldn't hang more than a couple years after the league started to sure itself up. I detailed each one of them. But maybe I'm not getting your angle, which is possible...

- Re: The '68 Expansion vs. the '80 absorption and old players sticking around.

Yeah, that happened in an uncommon way with '80 also. Except, it was shown that the mini-generation after them (your Stoughtons and Rogers's'ss'sss') couldn't hang in the same way...in a mathematically unlikely way: Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 3 (Secret of the Ooze)

You also highlight how important the sponsorship era and its accompanying development is to creating sustainable and adaptable NHL talent...instead of empty, one-way talents that were taking advantage of bad league conditions. The stars of the 60's had that. The guys that were jumping into the pro ranks at 18, generally didn't...

But...if all that is to say "there's only 4 NHL caliber teams' worth of guys in a 12, 13, 14-team WHA", I wouldn't call that unreasonable. We won't know if it's right or not until we roll up our sleeves...but that seems fine.

So, if I'm interpreting that correctly...we collectively don't need to do the "can you BELIEVE it 32 teams?!?!" thing any more, right? In the same way that no one said "54 TEAMS!" when the KHL formed and started swiping players in ~2010...
What was the expansion talent pool?

The question we run into expansion is

...but how many legit NHL teams could you have formed out of that league?

I tried rather bluntly to point this out a few years ago:
Team 1968 vs Team 1980

In 1968, the AHL/CHL/WHL didn’t have enough scoring talent for one NHL team, let alone 6. The NHL wasn’t 100% efficient at getting all of the top talent to play in the league, but they got most of them.

You looked at the Top 20 scorers in the WHA and were disappointed. Take a look at these guys and be sad that you think the 1966 AHL was better than the WHA:
1966-67 AHL Leaders

Some of them weren't even invited to the NHL when there was a doubling of jobs.

As for Blaine Stoughton and Eddie Joyal, if we’re saying that Eddie Joyal is elite when he’s 20th in in points in 12 team league, why is Stoughton not when he’s 22nd in points and 6th in goals in 1981-82, in year 3 of the post-merger? He drops to 36th in points and 15th in goals in 1982-83. In 1983-84 with only 23 goals around the trade deadline, he loses his spot to a bigger, younger, faster Sylvain Turgeon – who was 19 and wouldn’t have been allowed to play before the 1980s. (Dumping a $200k (maybe $300k?) contract was also a key consideration). How was Eddie Joyal, the Wayne Gretzky of the class of 68, better than that?

Blaine Stoughton has a hard time in 1984, because once his scoring touch is gone, he's expendable. If he'd been around in 1972, someone would have taken a shot at him. After all, the elite Eddie Joyal is hanging around with 21 points in 70 games and a -43. Since 44 points in 68 games was enough to get Stoughton banished to the AHL, I'm willing to bet 1972 Eddie Joyal doesn't make the 1984 NHL, but 1984 Stoughton probably finds a job in the smaller 1972 NHL. (I mean if young Stoughton leads the Maple Leafs in playoff scoring in 1975, and saves their bacon against the Kings, why wouldn't a more accomplished Stoughton get a shot?)

...and a player that still could have been playing junior broke the assists and points record.
...and one team won all the Stanley Cups.
...and a Minnesota high school d-man would be a point per game player at 18.
...and soon a Mass. high school goalie would win a Vezina at age 18.

Which isn't to excuse the mid-70's at all...

18 year old players found success in the 1980s NHL?

Good.

They probably still could have succeeded in the 1970s NHL, but the league minimum was 20-years old. The lack of teenage success in the pre 1980s NHL wasn’t because of a superior on-ice product, it was because the NHL was blocking the participation of teenagers by rule.

Barrasso winning a Vezina is part skill and part good fortune. He was good. But he also played on one of those 6-8 teams that almost always had good GAA numbers. Buffalo was 1 PPOA away from facing the fewest PP chances against in the NHL. The goalies on winning teams were in a 2-man rotation, and didn’t put up big numbers (Fuhr’s 30 wins led the NHL). If you believe this Norris fella, Barrasso played slightly easier minutes than the league average, while Bob Sauve played harder minutes, which also exaggerated the gap between Barrasso and his backup. BUFFALO SABRES GOALTENDING HISTORY: YEAR-BY-YEAR

The 1980s NHL had access to talent pools that did not exist in the expansion era.

They had access to younger players.

They had access to European players and a new American talent stream. 0 Swedes and Finns were in the NHL in 1968, and unlike Australia, they have managed to produce a ton of NHL-calibre talent.

They had an unusually strong cohort of players starting to play that shortened the careers of all those guys with 1950s birthdays by outcompeting them, with the best of the 79-84 generation continuing to be high end players into the late 1990s.

When there were 30 North American teams in 1976-77, that debuting cohort had 12 players make it to 1986-87: 1976-77 NHL Debuts | Hockey-Reference.com (11 there + Morris Lukowich from the WHA).

When there were 21 teams in 1979-80, 38 debuting players made it to 1989-90, and 22 were still playing the year after the last of the 76-77 guys (Carlyle) was gone. 1979-80 NHL Debuts | Hockey-Reference.com

From here: How inflated were Bobby Hull WHA stats?
Exhibition games aside. The WHA went 189-331-120 (.389 pts%) over the next two seasons (including games that had to produce two points for a WHA squad) and many of the top WHA players had their production levels significantly reduced or flaked out almost entirely...despite the NHL being at about its lowest point in terms of league quality since WWII...
The 1980 Whalers made the playoffs fair and square, without a special expansion division. The 1981 Edmonton Oilers also managed to sweep the 1981 Montreal Canadiens. The Expansion 6 didn't win a series until the 1974 Flyers won the Cup.

The 1982 Nordiques would go to the conference finals. The 1983 Oilers go the Finals, and the 1984 team wins the Cup.

Again, by the equivalent point in time the 1968 teams hadn't won a playoff series.

The Jets...were in the wrong division after 1981 to help me out in this argument. Although again, look at the credit Mike Liut gets for turning around the Blues and imagine what WInnipeg could do if they were able to land one of the 3 good WHA goalies instead of getting the Blues mediocre backup Ed Staniowski.

When there were 3x more Russians in the NHL in 1999 (or whatever) than there are now...was it better? And now, it's worse? Of course not. Vladimir Chebaturkin did not improve the league. Pavel Bure did though.

Yep. And the 1968 expansion gave us a half of a league full of Chebaturkins.

That's why 40 year old Howe is a 100 point scorer. Records fall, and they all fall to the old guard.

In the early 1980s, none of the stars sets a significantly better personal best, (except for Mike Bossy.)

There was a Gretzky and a Howe and a Nilsson in the WHA. And if they were able to keep future Pearson-winner Mike Liut, future Jennings winner Pat Riggin, and future 1982 Cup Finalist Richard Brodeur, (or even Nilsson for that matter) they'd have likely done a lot better collectively as a regular season threat. Would they not be Bures, instead of Chebaturkins? How many Expansion 6 players won the Hart or the Pearson or any other significant trophy?

In year 4, Bill White became the first non Original 6 player to make a post-season AS team, in 1972. At the equivalent point, the 1982-83 First All-Star Team consists of Mike Bossy, Pete Peeters, and WHAers Gretzky, Messier, Langway, and Howe, with Michel Goulet on the 2nd team.

Why not also look at WHA talent that came in earlier as well? Rejean Houle was a good enough two-way forward they played him with Gainey and Jarvis. John Tonelli was a contributor to an 1980 Isles that won the Cup against a team that former WHA-er Ken Linseman led in points. Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson helped turn the Rangers into contenders.

All of them are better than Gord Labossiere.

After all, there were plenty of one-way talents in the 1970s NHL too. A lot of those guys couldn't score at all.

The average team scores 209 goals in 1967. That goes down to 206 goals in 1968. Was the league about the same in quality or perhaps slightly better defensively? Of course not.

In 1968 every O6 team is at 209 GF or more. The E6 teams are between 153 goals and 200. Because East teams play each other more often, the awful Red Wings are the worst defensive team in the NHL. Against the O6, it's almost 80s level scoring against the Wings: 3.82 GF/G for O6 teams. The other half of the league? 2.75 GF/G, with 4 of 6 teams at 2.5 goals per game or under.

There's a n illusion of good defense in that E6 vs E6 games are low scoring. They usually get blitzed by O6 teams. But because they can't even score on each other, the overall league GPG goes down.

While the later 1979-80 expansion would see the new guys have enough scoring talent to score on bad existing teams, the 67-68 expansion saw AHLers enter the league who exhibited negligible scoring skills.

As the Sea Captain might say, "Aye. Not a Bure in the bunch."

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Ooh! One of my old standbys.

Norm Ullman is vastly overrated. I'm proud if my various hate posts did anything to keep him out of the Top 100.

Of course you mad fools put him at 101, but no cares by that number.

Reactions: The Macho King

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Bure only had one healthy prime season that overlapped Lemieux (1992-93).
Lindros only had one healthy prime season that overlapped Lemieux (1995-96).
Sakic only had two healthy prime seasons that overlapped Lemieux (1995-96, 2000-01).
Yzerman and Jagr, sure.

At best, Bure and Lindros are in the 90-100 spot all-time. Kucherov will walk into the top 50 pretty easily.

Kucherov has a clean path to third best Euro-NHL forward behind Jagr and Ovechkin.

At his best, I 100% believe Lemieux was better than McDavid. But he only played 60% of a career. McDavid will overtake him in games played in four years.

I still don't think McDavid does it, but Lemieux's glaring weakness of full seasons is what hurts him. After age 23, he only hit 70 games in a season twice. He only hit 60 games in a season five times after age 23.

McDavid already has more 70+ game seasons post age-23 than Lemieux does.

Again, it all comes down to how he ages.
Only way I can see him overtaking Lemieux is if he has a Gordie Howe-like prime. Which I suppose isn't impossible.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Junior Hockey, College Hockey and Elite Minor Hockey that feeds into Junior Hockey (most of which feeds into College Hockey other than CHL not USports bound players) have only grown since 1995. I don't think the number of rec house league players (something that is dying and would heavily impact registered player numbers but not the pathways to Pro Hockey) matters too much. Also would say Sweden/Finland/Switzerland/Germany/"Misc. Western Europe" all experienced growth... (in 1994-95, Swedes were 3.7 % of NHL games played, now 9.4 %) even as Ex-Communist bloc took a bit of a bit but also rebounded pretty well.

Canadian talent probably peaked as a whole (and not just a few flashy names) with early/mid millennials. Boomer generation grew very affluent and had a good number of kids, with parents dreaming of putting their kid into NHL. That's when things started to explode with all the extracurriculars and people getting all serious well with lots of professionalization before kids even got to Juniors, at a time when Hockey was still an undisputed cultural king and not diluted with other things. Yet still at a time when the game was still mostly affordable to middle class families and you didn't have to be super wealthy like today.

Sort of that perfect blend like ships passing in the night of everyone going super HAM to be very polished from very young ages as far as their skill and skating, while also being still widely accessible

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
US golden generation

It felt like was harder for Canada to win best on best in the 1987/1996 window than the 2010-2016 window.
I mean if one tricky bounce on an OT shot goes over Luongo's glove then USA wins a gold medal in 2010 (in Canada) and would have gone 2-0 against Canada. 1995-96 USA is 18.4 % of NHL games played, today USA is 28.8 %. By '96 you still hadn't yet had the Sun Belt Expansion making the Auston Matthews of the world possible. From a best-on-best level sure it's comparable enough, which can be deceptive as there's more just luck involved in having the right mix of players to fill the various roles a hockey team needs, etc. but the downstream of the League USA is definitely in more of a "golden age" now.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I really doubt I'll ever put McDavid above Lemieux. I don't view the players as guys accumulating certain checkpoints, whether they are trophies, numbers of games played, top X scoring seasons, whatever. I consider Lemieux just clearly better, from watching both and also considering numbers. It would be dishonest of me to put McDavid ahead barring a freakish level of longevity that somehow bridges the gap.

To my eyes McDavid is clearly not totally healthy this season, for most of the season and also right now in the playoffs. He still had a great year and is having a very strong playoffs, and that's despite not being at his best. He's not Lemieux though. Kucherov, MacKinnon, Draisaitl, etc. aren't touching Lemieux in seasons where he 90% of the games or so, even if like McDavid in some years he isn't totally healthy.

Overall I'd add to this, and I don't think that this is wildly outrageous, I care far more about who the better player (judged by an established level of top play) was than I care about who accumulated the most career value. To me it seems that some people are only interested in comparing careers and not players, but they aren't even aware of it.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
League USA is definitely in more of a "golden age" now.
Yes USA is stronger now has an NHL pipeline (and less of a golden generation, just a regular thing, do not expect a drop like they had)

And we are talking mostly about best-on-best type of talent and player (only ?) when talking who Lemieux competed with to be the best in the world or not, same for McDavid now.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
also considering numbers.

I was going to say they start to look not that dissimilar with, in the playoff

Drai....: 1.78
McDavid.: 1.78
Rantanen: 1.29
Kucherov: 1.26
Mack....: 1.25
Makar...: 1.26

Is that different of prime Lemieux, say 88-93 Lemieux in the playoff.

Lemieux: 1.92
Gretzky: 1.73
Messier: 1.38
Oates..: 1.36
Hull...: 1.29

Regular season

88 to 93
Lemieux...: 2.28
Grezky....: 1.96
Selanne...: 1.57
Yzerman...: 1.57
Lafontaine: 1.38
Messier...: 1.37

21-24
McDavid.: 1.74
Kucherov: 1.55
MacK....: 1.52
Drai....: 1.44
Panarin.: 1.30
Matthews: 1.30

But elite scoring has been way more similar since COVID to the 80s early 90s than I thought, arguably no need to adjust...

Reactions: Overrated

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I really doubt I'll ever put McDavid above Lemieux. I don't view the players as guys accumulating certain checkpoints, whether they are trophies, numbers of games played, top X scoring seasons, whatever. I consider Lemieux just clearly better, from watching both and also considering numbers. It would be dishonest of me to put McDavid ahead barring a freakish level of longevity that somehow bridges the gap.

To my eyes McDavid is clearly not totally healthy this season, for most of the season and also right now in the playoffs. He still had a great year and is having a very strong playoffs, and that's despite not being at his best. He's not Lemieux though. Kucherov, MacKinnon, Draisaitl, etc. aren't touching Lemieux in seasons where he 90% of the games or so, even if like McDavid in some years he isn't totally healthy.

Overall I'd add to this, and I don't think that this is wildly outrageous, I care far more about who the better player (judged by an established level of top play) was than I care about who accumulated the most career value. To me it seems that some people are only interested in comparing careers and not players, but they aren't even aware of it.
When we talk about players, this forum has always sided with the term "top" that is some combination of peak, prime, career. I get wanting to rank players on how good they are at their best, but I do think there is something to be said about showing up consistently year after year.

I do think we do a peaks project at some point though.

I do want to re-iterate that I don't think McDavid overtakes Lemieux. At his best Lemieux was just a straight up better player. But McDavid's peak (2021 regular season, 2022 playoffs, 2023 regular season) is really high in a way we haven't seen since Lemieux.

For Lemieux, outside of 1989, 1993, and 1996, he's fairly approachable in the regular season. Outside those three seasons, he basically battled injuries from 1988-1996, then has a great but not otherworldly 1997, and retires.

Sure, Lemieux 1989 and 1993 are better than anything McDavid did. But there's a lot of 70% Mario in there for most of his prime.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yes USA is stronger now has an NHL pipeline (and less of a golden generation, just a regular thing, do not expect a drop like they had)

And we are talking mostly about best-on-best type of talent and player (only ?) when talking who Lemieux competed with to be the best in the world or not, same for McDavid now.
I guess I'm saying with best-on-best it's more about roster assembly. Compare Soviet to Russia. Since everything was top-down, Soviets could focus on developing players specifically to slot into roles. Nowadays, Russia could be about equal in overall player pool but if they have say.. 6 goaltenders who could be good enough for a best on best, but no centers, that is just inefficient, so best on best suffers but overall players could be similar.

As far as just high-end scoring talent, I guess let's look at a 5-year period with '96 as the middle year and compare it to most current 5-year period (which since we can't look to future, would give us a better picture of the '21-'22 talent pool).

1993-94 through 1997-98 Americans, total scoring rank amongst Top 20 Americans:
1. Bret Hull - 10th overall (not starting a real/fake american debate, we know he was an IIHF American)
2. Keith Tkachuk - 13th overall
3. John LeClair - 15th overall
4. Doug Weight - 16th overall
5. Mike Modano - 24th overall
6. Jeremy Roenick - 26th overall
7. Brian Leetch - 27th overall
8. Craig Janney - 37th overall
9. Tony Amonte - 40th overall
10. Chris Chelios - 60th overall
11. Bryan Smolinski - 69th overall
12. Kevin Stevens - 86th overall
13. Derek Plante - 88th overall
14. Scott Young - 91st overall
15. Ted Donato - 100th overall
16. Kevin Hatcher - 101st overall
17. Marty McInnis - 102nd overall
18. Bill Guerin - 107th overall
19. Pat LaFontaine - 108th overall
20. Phil Housley - 109th overall

2019-20 through 2023-24 Americans, total scoring rank amongst Top 20 Americans:
1. Auston Matthews - 5th overall
2. Matthew Tkachuk -10th overall
3. J.T. Miller - 11th overall
4. Kyle Connor - 20th overall
5. Johnny Gaudreau - 21st overall
6. Patrick Kane - 23rd overall
7. Jake Guentzel - 29th overall
8. Quinn Hughes - 33rd overall
9. Jason Robertson - 37th overall
10. Alex DeBrincat - 38th overall
11. Adam Fox - 40th overall
12. Joe Pavelski - 41st overall
13. Clayton Keller - 42nd overall
14. Brady Tkachuk - 44th overall
15. Dylan Larkin - 49th overall
16. Brock Nelson - 52nd overall
17. Jack Hughes - 60th overall
18. Chris Kreider - 62nd overall
19. Vincent Trocheck - 67th overall
20. John Carlson - 69th overall

Boeser (70), Rust (76), Eichel (79), Schmaltz (80), Wheeler (88), Thompson (103), Tuch (108) would all get you to the same rank spot over time period as Housley's 20th highest American over time period.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I was going to say they start to look not that dissimilar with, in the playoff

Drai....: 1.78
McDavid.: 1.78
Rantanen: 1.29
Kucherov: 1.26
Mack....: 1.25
Makar...: 1.26

Is that different of prime Lemieux, say 88-93 Lemieux in the playoff.

Lemieux: 1.92
Gretzky: 1.73
Messier: 1.38
Oates..: 1.36
Hull...: 1.29

Regular season

88 to 93
Lemieux...: 2.28
Grezky....: 1.96
Selanne...: 1.57
Yzerman...: 1.57
Lafontaine: 1.38
Messier...: 1.37

21-24
McDavid.: 1.74
Kucherov: 1.55
MacK....: 1.52
Drai....: 1.44
Panarin.: 1.30
Matthews: 1.30

But elite scoring has been way more similar since COVID to the 80s early 90s than I thought, arguably no need to adjust...
Looks like clearly Lemieux to me, and he wasn't playing, often on the same line, with someone scoring at the same rate as he was in the playoffs. Not that I think that Draisaitl is as good as McDavid, playoffs or otherwise.

I don't want to spend much time on McDavid vs Lemieux in a thread that isn't really about that, but I think McDavid is clearly one of the guys on the Jagr tier, but shaping up to have possibly the best individual career of any of those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad