Your UFA targets in order of Priority?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If we could land Karlsson and Lee, I'd say we hit a home run and are ligit cup contenders especially if we can move Petry to shore up the LD. Even if we trade Petry for an additional 1st to beef up the prospect pool, we can live with a left side of Mete, Kulak and Benn if paired with Karlsson, Weber and Juulsen.

Lee Domi Shaw
Drouin KK Gally
Tatar Danault Armia
Byron Poehling Lehkonen
Weal

LD Karlsson
Mete Weber
Kulak Juulsen
Benn

Suzuki, Brook, Romanov, 2019 1st, Ylonen etc all developing the way they should the way Patches, PK etc developed under Boucher in Hamilton.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
First of all why would anyone think the inept buffoon Bergevin is going to land any top free agents going into year number 8 ....he has landed ...ZERO...in his first 7 years....and i would rather make trades than sign free agents other than Karlsson if he wants to play here you sign him.
Inept Buffoon.....lol

Oh man, you just way too emotional to deal with :laugh:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Karlsson
Panarin
Duchene

These 3 guys in that order, but I think it’s a pipe dream to think we’ll land even one of them. The rest of the FAs? Meh, just don’t overpay and I don’t care either way.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From this list the only players I'd make a serious run at would be...

Panarin 7/$10M aav
Duchene 7/$8.5M aav

However, we land neither. Panarin wants to play in the States and I don't think Duchene wants to deal with the brutal Montreal media and unforgiving fanbase

I don't think Panarin would consider us either but I'd make the call 1st. You are not in on Karlsson?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not about limiting...a player you're targeting, especially a UFA...the coach and his system and how he's going to use the player HAS to be a consideration for the coach, because it's obviously one for the player.

I mean, that goes without saying.

Again, if you're going to invest the kind of money it's going to cost to sign Duchene...only to play him 14-15 mins a game because the coach is afraid of matchups. It's almost guaranteed to be a bad signing.

I have no issues with Danault, I think he's criminally underrated by fans here...so that's not what i'm saying.

He's a very good player, but he's limited...i'm just not sure CJ sees it that way.

I'm content with how we are playing Danault for now. I might change my opinion when the other centers show ability to be trusted in a top 6 role though. Time will tell. This don't prevent me from singing Duchene.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Spending 8M per year or whatever it's going to cost to lock down Duchene, is appealing to me, but not if he's going to play 15 mins a game because CJ is constantly chasing his opponents by playing Danault against top lines.

Habs need to eventually get to a point where a guy like Danault, whose a very good player, is centering their 3rd line. Habs have to get to a point where they are dictating the pace and match up of a particular game, not the other way around.

I just don't think that's in the DNA of a coach like CJ who is consistently in "prevent" mode.

That's a great point. UFA's don't always make sense with coaching styles and management philosophies. Montreal will always be chasing teams down the stretch because they are so small in key positions.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
List your top 5 UFA targets in order of priority? Provide your max term/AAV you would offer each of them

Panarin (26)
Skinner (26)
Hayes (26)
Nelson (26)
Duchene (27)
Johansson (27)
Gardiner (27)
Lee (27)
Karlsson (28)
Eberle (28)
Nyquist (28)
Simmonds (29)
Zuccarello (30)
Edler (32)
Methot (33)

Would not consider
Panarin - not worth the money and/or term
Hayes
Nelson - we have centers
Duchene - we have centers
Johannson
Karlsson - defensive liability and his ankle scares me
Nyquist - we have centers
Zuccarello

would consider
Skinner - depending on money and term
Gardiner - depending on money and term
Lee
Simmonds depending on money and term
Edler depending on money and term

Undecided
Eberle
Methot

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm content with how we are playing Danault for now. I might change my opinion when the other centers show ability to be trusted in a top 6 role though. Time will tell. This don't prevent me from singing Duchene.
Again, this is the type of "preventive" mentality that CJ has...which is fine, it's safe.

But its ultimately not effective in the long run.

If Danault has turned into the "new Plekanec" then this team will just remain in the cycle its been in what seems like forever.

Suffocating players who are more skilled and offer more upside, for players who are perceived more as "safe".

I have no issues with how they used Danault THIS year, it made sense...but things need to progress moving forward. perhaps not immediately, but progressively.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
I think Duchene might be the only one who would actually want to play here. If that is the case, sign him. I don't think Karlsson would want to come here, unless he really liked Ottawa and wants to be back in Canada. Panarin is my favourite target on that list but I have little hope he would sign here no matter the money. Edler on a shorter term deal could be a very nice add. Would allow Mete to slide down in the lineup.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would not consider
Panarin - not worth the money and/or term
Hayes
Nelson - we have centers
Duchene - we have centers
Johannson
Karlsson - defensive liability and his ankle scares me
Nyquist - we have centers
Zuccarello

would consider
Skinner - depending on money and term
Gardiner - depending on money and term
Lee
Simmonds depending on money and term
Edler depending on money and term

Undecided
Eberle
Methot

I'm not saying no to a center/winger like Duchene. This is not just about centers, this is about adding top 6 talent that skates well and has offensive skills. Duchene fits IMO. I'm not saying no to Duchene cause he plays center or no to Karlsson cause he is a RD.

We don't need top 9 depth like Johannson, Nyquist, Lee, Simmonds, Eberle, Zuccarello IMO. I pass on them unless they sign with us for a very good team friendly deal but doubt that happens. Same goes for Gardiner, Hayes, and Nelson. It only fits if the deal is right for us and they are all going to get offers that is more than I would prefer. Adding wingers like this when we already have too many top 9 players is not something I would spend my cap space on. As far as Hayes and Nelson, I like what they bring but I think term would be my problem based on what they would be offered by other teams

Edler is a interesting option if he don't resign with the Canucks. Might be able to get him on a 3 year term at $6M. Higher AAV than I would like but the 3 years in term is key. Gives us time to develop Mete and Romanov. Prefer 1 or 2 years but 3 years might make him sign.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm not saying no to a center/winger like Duchene. This is not just about centers, this is about adding top 6 talent that skates well and has offensive skills. Duchene fits IMO. I'm not saying no to Duchene cause he plays center or no to Karlsson cause he is a RD.

We don't need top 9 depth like Johannson, Nyquist, Lee, Simmonds, Eberle, Zuccarello IMO. I pass on them unless they sign with us for a very good team friendly deal but doubt that happens. Same goes for Gardiner, Hayes, and Nelson. It only fits if the deal is right for us and they are all going to get offers that is more than I would prefer. Adding wingers like this when we already have too many top 9 players is not something I would spend my cap space on. As far as Hayes and Nelson, I like what they bring but I think term would be my problem based on what they would be offered by other teams

Edler is a interesting option if he don't resign with the Canucks. Might be able to get him on a 3 year term at $6M. Higher AAV than I would like but the 3 years in term is key. Gives us time to develop Mete and Romanov. Prefer 1 or 2 years but 3 years might make him sign.

Edler would be a solide option before waiting Romanov and Mete. The guy is still playing 23 min by game

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again, this is the type of "preventive" mentality that CJ has...which is fine, it's safe.

But its ultimately not effective in the long run.

If Danault has turned into the "new Plekanec" then this team will just remain in the cycle its been in what seems like forever.

Suffocating players who are more skilled and offer more upside, for players who are perceived more as "safe".

I have no issues with how they used Danault THIS year, it made sense...but things need to progress moving forward. perhaps not immediately, but progressively.

You mean DD, Eller, and Danault deserving more ice time over Pleky? Like I said, I'm fine with how we are using Danault based on the centers we have and how we can trust them in a top 6 role. Kotkaniemi and Poehling will have to play effectively to earn their spots over Danault. Time will tell. If you can't outperform bottom 6 talent when you go up against them, how can you outperform top 6 talent? We are not a 100% rebuilding team so it is what it is and they need to earn their roles.

None of this prevents me from going after Duchene. I want top 6 depth like this and I think he would fit very well with Domi.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Edler would be a solide option before waiting Romanov and Mete. The guy is still playing 23 min by game

Agreed! Something tells me Edler want to say in Vancouver but the Canucks want a team friendly deal where Edler wants a deal that is right for him. Will Edler be willing to leave money on the table to stay? That's the angle the Canucks are taking IMO.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Agreed! Something tells me Edler want to say in Vancouver but the Canucks want a team friendly deal where Edler wants a deal that is right for him. Will Edler be willing to leave money on the table to stay? That's the angle the Canucks are taking IMO.

I think he will but if by chance he became UFA, he is the #1 player on my list

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You mean DD, Eller, and Danault deserving more ice time over Pleky?
Not even those names...I don't think the Habs ever even considered looking outside the organization to reinforce their centers, they were just happy with Plekanec because they thought no one could do a better job then he could.

I could see the same thing happening with Danault here, and that IMO, would be a mistake.

Again, this is no slight to Danault, i'm a big fan...but he can't be leading your team in TOI if you have any serious aspirations. I repeated this for YEARS with Plekanec and it's the same with Danault now.

Like I said, I'm fine with how we are using Danault based on the centers we have and how we can trust them in a top 6 role. Kotkaniemi and Poehling will have to play effectively to earn their spots over Danault. Time will tell.
I'm also fine, for now, with how they're using Danault...but again, this has to progressively change. As time goes on, more room has to be made for a guy like Kotkaniemi.

This talk about "he needs to be trusted in a top 6 role" is just nonsense IMO...was Danault "trusted" in a top 6 role before he got it? No, they basically handed it to him because they had no choice.

None of this prevents me from going after Duchene. I want top 6 depth like this and I think he would fit very well with Domi.
I don't mind going after Duchene...but if you do, you have to change the way this team deploys it's players.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He certainly fits our needs! And if we can get Edler on a higher AAV to lower the term, it fits even more

Yep ! We have capspace

The ideal for me would be to sign Edler and Eberle for 2-3 years the time Suzuki Ylonen Romanov Mete our next 1st round pick developpe. But I don’t think Eberle will take 2-3 years. I would go at 4 years but not more

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not even those names...I don't think the Habs ever even considered looking outside the organization to reinforce their centers, they were just happy with Plekanec because they thought no one could do a better job then he could.

I could see the same thing happening with Danault here, and that IMO, would be a mistake.

Again, this is no slight to Danault, i'm a big fan...but he can't be leading your team in TOI if you have any serious aspirations.

I'm also fine, for now, with how they're using Danault...but again, this has to progressively change. As time goes on, more room has to be made for a guy like Kotkaniemi.

This talk about "he needs to be trusted in a top 6 role" is just nonsense IMO...was Danault "trusted" in a top 6 role before he got it? No, they basically handed it to him because they had no choice.

I don't mind going after Duchene...but if you do, you have to change the way this team deploys it's players.

I think it will change if the centers behind him show ability to be trusted in all game situations and produce offensively. We will see how stubborn Julien is

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep ! We have capspace

The ideal for me would be to sign Edler and Eberle for 2-3 years the time Suzuki Ylonen Romanov Mete our next 1st round pick developpe. But I don’t think Eberle will take 2-3 years. I would go at 4 years but not more

I am in on Edler but not Eberle. I rather not sign a winger. I'm OK with Duchene cause he can play both wing and center. But Eberle, Nyquist, Simmonds, Zuccarello, etc I pass on. Panarin is the only winger I would go after. Centers like Hayes and Nelson are a good fit for us but they will be looking for both AAV and term and term would be a problem with me.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think it will change if the centers behind him show ability to be trusted in all game situations and produce offensively. We will see how stubborn Julien is
This will never happen if they're never exposed to these situations...I read the same excuse for years with Plekanec.

At some point, the Habs and CJ are going to have to start to expose Kotkaniemi to these situations. You drafted him with the goal of him being a centerpiece of your franchise, at some point, you have to transition into it.

It's fine now, he just finished his rookie season...but next year, his role should gradually increase.

Reactions: bsl

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I am in on Edler but not Eberle. I rather not sign a winger. I'm OK with Duchene cause he can play both wing and center. But Eberle, Nyquist, Simmonds, Zuccarello, etc I pass on. Panarin is the only winger I would go after. Centers like Hayes and Nelson are a good fit for us but they will be looking for both AAV and term and term would be a problem with me.

I don’t understand why we have depth now on Center, and Center always cost more so you will overpay.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t understand why we have depth now on Center, and Center always cost more so you will overpay.

Cause centers can play wing when you need them to. Wingers usually can't play center. It's not like we know for sure Kotkaniemi and Poehling will turn into for sure top 6 talent. I think they will but don't know how long it will take and I would like insurance. Duchene is insurance and we won't have too much options like this every year to sign (if he is even interested).

I want the kids to force their way into the line-up vs we give them spots cause we have hope in them. When they force their way in the line-up, you deal with what you have at that point and we become a trade hub where we can engage in trades to fill holes or keep the future core of assets full by getting more future picks.

I rather not go after wingers that provide a minimal return and bump some of our existing top 9 talent to the 4th line. Panarin and Skinner (forgot about Skinner in the last email) are the two wingers I would consider if they consider us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad