Your top 3 Propsects Now.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
5 preseasons games, a prospects camp, a prospects tournament and training camp

He ain't wrong though. The thread was intended as another Zadina bash fest.

As to the original question, I would rank them as follows based on the overall impact I expect them to have on the Wings organization:

1. Seider
2. Zadina
3. Veleno

The gap between 2 and 3 is super small in my opinion. Seider will not be a star but is looking very good for an 18-year-old defensemen. He is better with the puck than even I suspected and his head and feet alone will take him a long way. Zadina is the furthest from contributing but still has more pure skill and offensive instincts than Veleno. He clearly isn't NHL ready and needs to continue to get stronger and more explosive. Finding space and separation will come with improved skating and continued professional play. He will be forced to find ways to use and react to his teammates by playing against better players. He still clearly has some junior hockey habits he needs to drop and needs to get better away from the puck. Long term though I still like his potential (though this thread is obviously not about the long term). Veleno is the opposite of Zadina. He is bigger, stronger, more athletic and a much better skater. I think Veleno will break a lot of hearts though on this board. He will do a lot of good things in terms of transporting the puck, gaining the offensive blue line and defensive play, but he won't be nearly as prolific as most are expecting him to be from a production perspective. He is the classic example of a fast player who does not play fast. He is pretty slow to make decisions with the puck and it bothers me that he spends so much time chasing the puck. A good motor is a great asset, but you still need to be smart with it. The puck seems to find Zadina much more easily than it finds Veleno. Anyways, he will be a really solid player but won't be the offensive contributor most are expecting. Posters think he will be a great player because he is a great skater, which is a super simplistic (and dangerous) way of evaluating a player.

If anything my expectations of both Zadina and Veleno have dropped slightly. I am not expecting Zadina to become a top-line winger and I am not expecting Veleno to become an everyday top-six center like I once did. Seider, however, has the opposite impact on me. I honestly think he will be better than I initially thought (and I wasn't exactly bearish about him to start with).

breuk

Feb 1, 2010
Alaska
Same as you:
1. Seider
2. Veleno
3. Zadina

The third spot is super close between McIsaac and Zadina for me. I think Zadina just needs more time, we've got to keep being patient with him.
What is up with McIsaac? Is he injured?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Seider
Zadina
Veleno

Hasn't really changed for me. Seider has just been flat out impressive so far. I like the pick a lot more now than I did when we made it and I was pretty okay with it when we made it. I give Zadina a fair amount of flak but he clearly works hard out there, he's creative, he tries to do things. Right now they don't work very often, but I think a lot of it will come with maturity and repetition. Veleno looks good but I don't think he has the upside of Zadina.

Reactions: 14ari13

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Veleno and Zadina will need time to adjust to the NHL pace. Defenders limit your time with the puck drastically more in the NHL versus the CHL/AHL. Which also means that you have to make your decisions faster.

When I look at Zadina, I see someone who's brain is working at a different pace than his hands and feet. I think this is why he's looked a bit "sloppy" out there. Give him a season or so, he'll be good to go.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Seider and Veleno are NHL ready , Zadina most likely next year . Hope BU will change our prospect pull next year

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His shot is the most concerning part of his game.
It was supposed to be a strength. And it's not.

I'm reading my McKeen's pre-draft scouting write-up right now, and I'm thinking of canceling my sub. Hockeysfuture fanboy/bloggers could have written that ****.
They embellished his skating/shooting so much, I'm not even sure how I can take them seriously.

Go back and watch the 17-18 WJC and tell me that assessment was wrong. Where he scored 7 goals in 7 games against mostly older players. I guarantee that you won’t.

These things are fluid. Evaluations can change over time, and as players jump up a level of play. I definitely thought he would be ahead of where Zadina is today. That’s for sure.

I’ve been very encouraged by Seider. Honestly it’s made me happy. But I think this thread is kind of fishing for hot takes, and I’m going to try to avoid taking the bait on this one. I try not to cut bait too early with guys I had big belief in. I know I did it with Huberdeau and he became what I thought he would... just not on the time table I thought. A little patience would do this place a world of good. I’ve had to learn that the hard way more than once.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
It’s amazing how quickly some of you are ready to give up on a 19 year old prospect because he’s not lighting it up during preseason in his draft+1 season. Zadina is going to be a 30+ goal scorer in this league. Give the kid some time to mature his game. Let’s not have a knee jerk reaction due to him not looking like a #1 overall pick. That’s what it feels like is happening here.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is far too early to be burying Zadina.

He has things to work on, none of these guys are ideally playing in the NHL for the season we are enduring anyway. Getting callups or things of that nature sure I am fine with that. But they all have things to work on in Grand Rapids, it isn't the end of the world. I was worried about the pick on draft night, but I don't think he is a bust and I think people need to relax while the kid figures it out. Seider for me has taken over the 1 spot because of his athletic ability, but Zadina and Veleno are still in the same virtual dead heat they were for me on draft night. They represent different things for our future, hopefully both have really positive years in Grand Rapids.

styleisle

Dec 17, 2010
Portland, OR
Y'all high as hell if you think Zadina is our 3rd best prospect. Sure he has some kinks to work out but that doesn't eliminate the fact that the kid still has an elite shot, extremely good playmaking abilities, and silky mitts.

Give him time, we have plenty considering we're not going to be pushing the playoffs this year or most likely next year.

1: Zadina
2: Veleno
Seider

Don't think Seider and Veleno are far off on terms of skill. I hope Seider can bring more offense, he looks like he can be legit.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Y'all high as hell if you think Zadina is our 3rd best prospect. Sure he has some kinks to work out but that doesn't eliminate the fact that the kid still has an elite shot, extremely good playmaking abilities, and silky mitts.

Give him time, we have plenty considering we're not going to be pushing the playoffs this year or most likely next year.

1: Zadina
2: Veleno
Seider

Don't think Seider and Veleno are far off on terms of skill. I hope Seider can bring more offense, he looks like he can be legit.

youve been watching seider display the fire in his veins - ruggedness - smarts - hands - graceful skating - excellent passing as an 18 year old and your putting zadina whose shown just nice edges and hands and nothing else ahead of him ??????????? and im high ? seider aint getting lucky out there , hes displaying the total package of an nhler . mean while a year into it and zadina looks soft - stupid - with a weak shot . go by scouting reports if you want im going by what ive seen and that evidence indicates to me not only seider but also jv bring more to a team than zadina

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
youve been watching seider display the fire in his veins - ruggedness - smarts - hands - graceful skating - excellent passing as an 18 year old and your putting zadina whose shown just nice edges and hands and nothing else ahead of him ??????????? and im high ? seider aint getting lucky out there , hes displaying the total package of an nhler . mean while a year into it and zadina looks soft - stupid - with a weak shot . go by scouting reports if you want im going by what ive seen and that evidence indicates to me not only seider but also jv bring more to a team than zadina
Gotta agree with you on this one, I don't think he's watched any preseason games.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think it is:

Seider - He is so smart and poised out there already, hard to see him not becoming quite quite good.

Zadina - 19 still, way too early to right him off. I will say though, he definitely needs to hit 25 goals and at least 50+ pts in the AHL this year, as most players that struggle in the AHL aren't anything special in the NHL. I hope he plays 10-15 really awesome games in the AHL and gets his confidence back, and is ready to come back up to Detroit though.

Veleno - He looks to be very close to NHL ready, although I think he needs just a little more time to play pro, so going to the AHL at the start I think is a good idea.

Slightly OT - I think Rasmussen has improved greatly in confidence and strength and should make the team right now, as he has been better than most of the people he is battling for a roster spot.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If I try to erase what I know about draft position right now. And just go by my eye test:

Here is my ranking

1) Veleno
2) Seider
3) Hirose

I still think Zadina has the ability to become a great player, he just isn't that right now, meaning he needs to be in GR. Of course I think everyone on this list should be in GR.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
He ain't wrong though. The thread was intended as another Zadina bash fest.

As to the original question, I would rank them as follows based on the overall impact I expect them to have on the Wings organization:

1. Seider
2. Zadina
3. Veleno

The gap between 2 and 3 is super small in my opinion. Seider will not be a star but is looking very good for an 18-year-old defensemen. He is better with the puck than even I suspected and his head and feet alone will take him a long way. Zadina is the furthest from contributing but still has more pure skill and offensive instincts than Veleno. He clearly isn't NHL ready and needs to continue to get stronger and more explosive. Finding space and separation will come with improved skating and continued professional play. He will be forced to find ways to use and react to his teammates by playing against better players. He still clearly has some junior hockey habits he needs to drop and needs to get better away from the puck. Long term though I still like his potential (though this thread is obviously not about the long term). Veleno is the opposite of Zadina. He is bigger, stronger, more athletic and a much better skater. I think Veleno will break a lot of hearts though on this board. He will do a lot of good things in terms of transporting the puck, gaining the offensive blue line and defensive play, but he won't be nearly as prolific as most are expecting him to be from a production perspective. He is the classic example of a fast player who does not play fast. He is pretty slow to make decisions with the puck and it bothers me that he spends so much time chasing the puck. A good motor is a great asset, but you still need to be smart with it. The puck seems to find Zadina much more easily than it finds Veleno. Anyways, he will be a really solid player but won't be the offensive contributor most are expecting. Posters think he will be a great player because he is a great skater, which is a super simplistic (and dangerous) way of evaluating a player.

If anything my expectations of both Zadina and Veleno have dropped slightly. I am not expecting Zadina to become a top-line winger and I am not expecting Veleno to become an everyday top-six center like I once did. Seider, however, has the opposite impact on me. I honestly think he will be better than I initially thought (and I wasn't exactly bearish about him to start with).
The thread was intended more to be a Seider love fest. Most people hated the pick at first. I think most have changed their minds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad