NFL: Your teams worst loss

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
ervfzgrqdpnc7lh5gqwq

Couple of notes regarding this game:

-Panthers were undefeated at home this season (only NFL team to achieve that)
-Delhomme had a career revival season (underwent surgery the previous season/off-season)
-Steve Smith had one of his best seasons ever
-Cardinals were 0-5 on the East coast that season (including a game in Charlotte)

But, before the game the Panthers seemed full of themselves, a few of them when asked on local TV after practice were kind of laughing when asked about the Cardinals, like they were going to be easy work. They set themselves up for failure big-time and boy did they ever deliver. Fitzgerald dominated them. Jake Delhomme was never the same after this. Two seasons later the Panthers finished with a league-worst 2-14.

At least a few months later, the Hurricanes made one of their deep playoff runs and this was forgotten by me. But I think if you ask any Panthers fan this question, this one comes to mind immediately.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Gets me thinking, the Eagles have had too many. Playoffs the 2008 NFC championship game for me. I was so convinced they were going to beat the Cardinals who they destroyed on Thanksgiving at home. They had already beat up the Steelers that year too, they sacked Ben like 8 or 9 times that game. I remember him saying along the lines that after that game he questioned if he wanted to keep playing football.

As for regular season game, Im not sure. Pretty much pick any loss from the 2011 "Dream Team" season and that was painful. Also 42-0 to the Seahawks in 2005 on MNF.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Most painful for me is the championship in Seattle. Had that game wrapped up and they gave it away. Sherman's rant was the shitcherry on top. The championship against the Giants was bad, too. Lost to a vastly inferior team due to risk averse coaching and Kyle Williams giving new york 10 pts.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Vikings was the 2009 NFC Championship game against the Saints, I don't care what anyone says about the 1998 game. Missed calls by the refs, unbelievably inopportune turnovers, Saints beating cheaters with their bountygate, stupid overtime rule, etc. Most infuriating game I've watched in any sport.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Ever or this season?

This season it was Monday Night vs. Baltimore.

The one that hurt me the most all-time, either SB loss I witnessed in my lifetime, both against the Patriots.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Suzuki

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Gets me thinking, the Eagles have had too many. Playoffs the 2008 NFC championship game for me. I was so convinced they were going to beat the Cardinals who they destroyed on Thanksgiving at home. They had already beat up the Steelers that year too, they sacked Ben like 8 or 9 times that game. I remember him saying along the lines that after that game he questioned if he wanted to keep playing football.

As for regular season game, Im not sure. Pretty much pick any loss from the 2011 "Dream Team" season and that was painful. Also 42-0 to the Seahawks in 2005 on MNF.
it's the 2003 NFC Championship game [last game in Veterans Stadium] and nothing else is truly close even tho the next year's NFC Championship featured the Eagles scoring 3 points at home whilst obviously getting the L

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
it's the 2003 NFC Championship game [last game in Veterans Stadium] and nothing else is truly close even tho the next year's NFC Championship featured the Eagles scoring 3 points at home whilst obviously getting the L
Both of those game were bad. I just expected the worse for those games based on Reid. The 2008 game in how everything happened down the stretch I didn't think there was a chance they would lose. Just a bunch of terrible playoff losses though. Pretty much every single one was close and excruciating terrible.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yup. Kerry Collins probably had the worst Super Bowl performance by a QB ever lol

That team went 12-4 in the NFC and got blown out by Baltimore.
To be honest, I don't think anyone was going to beat Baltimore that year.

Giants could've made it a game but Collins, Barber, Hillard, Toomer didn't do jack on offense.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Vikings was the 2009 NFC Championship game against the Saints, I don't care what anyone says about the 1998 game. Missed calls by the refs, unbelievably inopportune turnovers, Saints beating cheaters with their bountygate, stupid overtime rule, etc. Most infuriating game I've watched in any sport.

You do realize the Vikings had their own bounty program.

According to offensive lineman Artis Hicks in an excerpt on Deadspin, “It was part of the culture.”

“I had coaches start a pot and all the veterans put in an extra $100, $200, and if you hurt someone special, you get the money. There was a bottom line, and I think we all bought in: you’re there to win, and if taking out the other team’s best player helps you win, hey, it’s nothing personal. Just business.”​

Turns out the Vikings also had a bounty program when Brett Favre was QB

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
What bothers me about the 1998 NFC Championship game, sure Gary Anderson missed the field goal but the Vikings defense couldn't stop the Falcons from a game tying TD drive? Robert Griffin missed the game sealing INT near the goal line, pass rush couldn't get to Chris Chandler for some reason...

On top of that, the Vikings had 2 time outs and about 50 seconds left when they got the ball back. Dennis Green takes a knee? Why? You don't think Cunningham would've threw a bomb to field goal range to either Moss, Carter or Reed?

What a missed opportunity.

member 157595

Joe Montana to John Taylor, left side of the end zone. 34 seconds left on the clock. January 22, 1989. I was just a little kid and I was heartbroken. Can picture that play in my sleep even though I haven't watched a Bengals game since 2016.

It turned out that was realistically the last chance the Bengals truly had of winning the Super Bowl, since Mike Brown exerted control shortly after and drove the franchise straight down the toilet. Since he intends on passing the franchise on to other family members once he passes, unless they run into a Rocky Wirtz Hail Mary nothing will change.

member 157595

When the Pats lost to the Giants on the brink of a perfect record.

I'm a transplant (born and raised in NY state) that lives in the Boston area. The locals here still talk about that game, all the time. It definitely still stings and even a run of success afterwards doesn't fully erase that memory.

I had the opposite experience (forgive me for the following story, I'm genuinely not trying to rub salt into a wound because that's not how I am.) After the 2007 Super Bowl, my grandfather (and the biggest Giants fan you'd ever meet) died, and it was a painful death. It was in the winter and we couldn't even bury him on the day of the funeral since it was 0 degrees F and the ground was hard as a rock. When the Giants upset the Patriots less than a year later my family was convinced he had something to do with it. It was pretty emotional for us.

I was very happy when the Red Sox won the WS in 2004, despite growing up in a Yankees family, because I love seeing long-suffering, loyal fans rewarded for their loyalty.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For me the game out in San Francisco after the 2011 season after the Saints came back down 17-0 and the wild 4th quarter. The Saints would've then had the NFC Championship Game at home against the Giants, who later made it known that they were terrified to have to go down there. That one bites me more than even the game in Minnesota or Seattle or the Rams.

The Eagles had to be the last game at the Vet. I don't think anything else is in the conversation. Tampa Bay had no chance to win that game, it was cold, the Eagles owned them, they wiped out the Falcons the week before, the defense was on a roll. They had it all their own way, and then had a huge start with a big kick return and scored in the first minute. And then Joe Jurevicius happened and it just went splat.

Last edited:

World of Ice

I'm a transplant (born and raised in NY state) that lives in the Boston area. The locals here still talk about that game, all the time. It definitely still stings and even a run of success afterwards doesn't fully erase that memory.

I had the opposite experience (forgive me for the following story, I'm genuinely not trying to rub salt into a wound because that's not how I am.) After the 2007 Super Bowl, my grandfather (and the biggest Giants fan you'd ever meet) died, and it was a painful death. It was in the winter and we couldn't even bury him on the day of the funeral since it was 0 degrees F and the ground was hard as a rock. When the Giants upset the Patriots less than a year later my family was convinced he had something to do with it. It was pretty emotional for us.

I was very happy when the Red Sox won the WS in 2004, despite growing up in a Yankees family, because I love seeing long-suffering, loyal fans rewarded for their loyalty.

Yeah, I don't doubt that they still talk about it. The whole David Tyree catch just about shattered my heart on the spot. I would have traded our win over the Giants in the regular season for the Superbowl obviously.

Come to think of it the loss to the Eagles hurt pretty bad too because Tom Brady was firing on all cylinders up until that last drive but our D laid an egg. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for six superbowls, it's otherworldly to think about and the fact that I grew up with it makes it all the more special. Something I'll never forget as I grow old.

And yeah when the Sox won the WS in '04 I was ecstatic, same with '13 which was a magical year.

Reactions: OmniCube

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Eagles had to be the last game at the Vet. I don't think anything else is in the conversation. Tampa Bay had no chance to win that game, it was cold, the Eagles owned them, they wiped out the Falcons the week before, the defense was on a roll. They had it all their own way, and then had a huge start with a big kick return and scored in the first minute. And then Joe Jurevicius happened and it just went splat.

Brutal game of course, especially as you noted with Duce's early td and then Bobby Taylor got a interception at around the 50 soon after. Funny how this game is always brought up, when they had a chance to win the Super Bowl two years later which was so much worse and particularly how it happened. But that is what Reid does, he has nut kicking playoff losses. He already has four with the Chiefs, losing by 1, 2, 1, and 6 and 3 of them were at home. But he has the chance to wipe that all out today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad