Speculation: Your Teams Offer Sheet History

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Because when you OS someone, you're going to be overspending on a player. Now you're the team in cap trouble and another team is just going to OS your player because you're cap trouble.

Not always. If teams have almost zero dollars available and you OS a player at his probable value, they may not be able to match it.

Obviously teams would have to be smart about it and I'm sure most teams would be

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Thanks! Updated above and I'm only going to use 2006 on which has the common compensation as it seems before that had some varying compensation that we can't really compare to today's game and business model.

I'd love to keep adding any other rumours or ones like the Saad one to try and get a better idea of the threat and consequences of the threats (the Kessel situation).

Maybe put the "since 2006" in the OP so that message doesn't get missed.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
This is BS. Link?

Agreed, there no truth to that at all. The Oilers attempted to acquire Hamilton viz trade route until the butt hurt Bruins brass thought the 17th + 33rd + Nurse was what the cost would've been..FAARR more then what the Flames paid.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Rangers signed Joe Sakic to an offer sheet in 97, but Colorado matched it.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Not always. If teams have almost zero dollars available and you OS a player at his probable value, they may not be able to match it.

Obviously teams would have to be smart about it and I'm sure most teams would be

The fear is it will lead to faster contract inflation. If one of Rielly/Trouba/Lindholm had signed an offersheet at a slight overpay (lets say 6 x 6), the other two are going to use that as a comparable for salary negotiation even if they don't get offersheeted. Next year's RFA defensemen now have 3 overpriced comparables + cap inflation, so they're going to be negotiating closer to 7 per.

The dynamic might change now that bridge contracts seem to be on the way out.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Canes hit the Red Wings with the mother of all offer sheets in 97-98 to Sergei Fedorov. He signed, Detroit matched.

38 mil/6 years, 12/6 salary, 26 mil in bonus over the term unless his team made the Conference Finals in that year in which the remainder of the bonus was to be paid out. The Red Wings made the WCF that year.

No offer sheets since 06 IIRC.

Mad Brills*

Leafs eventually got their own 2nd back by making a bad trade, and then traded 2 1sts and a 2nd instead of actually doing the offer sheet and giving up just 3 picks in 2010.

Mad Brills*

Saad was an OS candidate, because the blackhawks didn't trade sharp yet, despite everyone knowing they had to, so someone could pounce.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Because when you OS someone, you're going to be overspending on a player. Now you're the team in cap trouble and another team is just going to OS your player because you're cap trouble.

Not necessarily true. If I were a GM, I would be talking to players from cash strapped teams about offer sheets all the time.

Right now, Anaheim would be in huge trouble if somebody had offer sheets in place for Lindholm and Rakell. They couldn't afford to match both without dumping salary right away.

nexusrage21

Dec 14, 2004
As a free agent during the summer of 1997, Joe Sakic signed a three-year, $21 million offer sheet with the New York Rangers as a restricted free agent. Colorado obviously matched.
Am I remembering this correctly, weren't the avs able to match because of a well timed sponsorship or TV deal at or around the 11th hour? I might be wrong because I was fairly young and the only real news source I had at the time was ny sports radio, but for some rEason I have this memory of Fox coming up with a TV deal or something similar a day or two before the deadline to match.

Did I make that up?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I recall when Calgary ( Doug Risebrough) offered Teemu Selanne a poison pill deal. Winnipeg had publicly stated they would match any offer even though it was excessive for the time. Was one of the final nails in the coffin for the Jets.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Am I remembering this correctly, weren't the avs able to match because of a well timed sponsorship or TV deal at or around the 11th hour? I might be wrong because I was fairly young and the only real news source I had at the time was ny sports radio, but for some rEason I have this memory of Fox coming up with a TV deal or something similar a day or two before the deadline to match.

Did I make that up?

I think it was a movie actually. Strange but true.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
Im not sure whether it was actually called an offer sheet but theres the deal ohlund signed with the leafs prior to playing his first nhl season. 5 years/10 million including a 7.5 million signing bonus. Canucks had one week to match

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Hjalmarsson signed with the Sharks, which forced the Hawks to match...which led to Niemi shaking loose as a free agent, whom Doug Wilson immediately signed.

Also, rumour had it that the Sharks would have OS'd Martin Jones in Boston who didn't need a pricey tandem - so it "forced" a trade.

Wasn't there a rumour that Jones was going to get offersheeted in LA, which we wouldn't have been able to match, or is that just revisionist history?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It wouldn't surprise me if Dallas has made offers to noteworthy RFAs, only to be rebuffed.

I'm willing to bet the lion's share of offer sheets go unreported.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
It wouldn't surprise me if Dallas has made offers to noteworthy RFAs, only to be rebuffed.

I'm willing to bet the lion's share of offer sheets go unreported.

It sure would make a great investigative report by a 'reporter' to interview GM's about offer sheets in the past and the amount that haven't been reported.

Then again, that is called reporting and most of the 'reporters' now just tweet 'I heard from a source' and pretend its viable, substantial or even actual reporting.

FireMacT

Oct 13, 2013
GMPC OMG!!!
The Flyers forfeited four 1st round picks to Tampa Bay when they declined to match on Gratton. The Flyers then traded Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis to Tampa Bay to get the four 1st round picks back.

Then the Flyers traded Gratton+ back to Tampa for Renberg+ a year later because why the hell not.

Add in Carolina offer sheeting Sergei Fedorov to that silly front loaded bonus laden deal which the Wings ultimately matched.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
In the 1991 off-season Boston gave an offer sheet to Kevin Stevens, one of the premier power forwards of the era and a MA native. Stevens had been one of the Penguins key players in the 91 Wales Conference Finals. After Pittsburgh went down 0-2 to the Bruins, Stevens guaranteed a series victory, then scored 4 goals and 4 assists in the next 3 games to help turn around the series which the Pens ultimately won, 4-2. Pittsburgh matched the offer sheet, and repeated as champions.

In the mid/late 90s the Rangers gave Joe Sakic a brutally front-loaded offer-sheet, thinking the Avalanche could not pay Sakic that much money while also paying for their new arena. Sakic actually signed but Colorado still matched.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad