GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ Montreal Canadiens, Bell Centre, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
This team gets no shots because there is literally no room. Montreal gave them little to no room tonight because there is no one that scares them. Hynes did mention to Mike Johnson of Sportsnet today that personnel is the reason for the current system in place. He's doing what he can given the group up front. Once he has the horses, things will open up.

need better passing to open up space. seemed everything was jumping over sticks or going straight into the feet

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Severson played poorly in both games. He's hardly the one who should be getting the blame though.

Stempniak, Zajac, and Henrique (in spite of the goal tonight) completely fell off the face of the Earth.
Our special teams are trash.
Our bottom six is an unholy abomination not fit for the eyes of mortal men.

I'm not concerned about Damon Severson, he's young and will make mistakes. What I am concerned is our lack of structure, hustle, and execution in all aspects of the game.

I really don't wanna get on the top 6 guys, since they do all the scoring and have pulled their weight this year. Well at least most of them have, not Tlusty at all. Good god no, he's fallen off hard in the last calendar year. Maybe the Jets put a curse on him since they knew he was coming to Bleedred's team next.:laugh::laugh:

But Zajac needs to score on one of these two breakaways the last 2 games. Last game he at least forced the goalie to make a save. Tonight though, he must have shot the puck to Ontario somewhere.

Special teams are trash, not sure how the PK is ranked 8th in the league. We give up a fair amount of PP goals and it's not like we've been taking a lot of penalties. At least not lately, earlier in the season being shorthanded too many times in a game was an issue.

Our power play has been flushed down the toilet. When we've scored on it lately, it was a 4 on 3 in OT and on a rush that's very unorthodox during a power play sequence.

The bottom 6 is a nightmare. I like our 4th line more than Tlusty, Sislo, Ruu1u (**** him hard), or any of these other jabroni's including Matteau.

Kalinin is okay, but he's not a 3rd liner yet. I still somehow have more confidence in him scoring a goal than anyone other than Palmieri, Cammalleri, Henrique, Stempniak though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't care how irrational anybody thinks I am, I will take it to the grave that Ruutu is a bigger reason than it seems for us not exceeding more than one goal in almost 90% of the games he's played this year.

He KILLS offense, and at least once a game he completely kills a chance. Would the chance have otherwise led to a sure goal? Not necessarily. Tonight he killed offensive zone time by taking an offensive zone penalty, that even Dano critiqued him on.

And he slows down the lineup considerably. He doesn't fit this system or any kind of a system in the national hockey league.

He needs to go. The sooner the better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ruutu certainly isn't HELPING the cause but I think it's just more bad luck than anything else that the offense completely short-circuits when he plays (and it also doesn't help he's coming back when Cammi's out of the lineup and Henrique's still half there). Like Cory getting 1.5 goals a game and Marty 3+ goals a game a few years back was also just a maddening coincidence.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
if Moore + Schlemko are out, we can't offer up any active D for scoring help. We don't have the prospect pool to get anyone without gutting it further.

time to ride out the poo slide

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ruutu certainly isn't HELPING the cause but I think it's just more bad luck than anything else that the offense completely short-circuits (and it also doesn't help he's coming back when Cammi's out of the lineup and Henrique's still half there). Like Cory getting 1.5 goals a game and Marty 3+ goals a game a few years back was just a maddening coincidence.

I think the only coincidence is that we're averaging just 1 goal per game with Ruutu.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we would probably score a decent amount less per game with Ruutu in the lineup than not, if you get a larger sample size.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like 0.25-0.30 goals more per game if it evens out.

He's a liability and not an NHL player anymore, he's also the definite weak link in this lineup as far as age and speed go among the forwards.

I think Hynes was noticing it too, and just tried to give him a chance by putting him back in tonight.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
if Moore + Schlemko are out, we can't offer up any active D for scoring help. We don't have the prospect pool to get anyone without gutting it further.

Even with them it's not like the D's really been adding to the offense. Our leading scorer on D's (Severson) on pace for 22 points. Our lack of scoring on D hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as the lack of scoring on the back six forwards but it's almost as glaring.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think the only coincidence is that we're averaging just 1 goal per game with Ruutu.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we would probably score a decent amount less per game with Ruutu in the lineup than not, if you get a larger sample size.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like 0.25-0.30 goals more per game if it evens out.

He's a liability and not an NHL player anymore, he's also the definite weak link in this lineup as far as age and speed go among the forwards.

I think Hynes was noticing it too, and just tried to give him a chance by putting him back in tonight.

He plays twelve minutes a game and if he's not playing it'd be some other plug like Josefson that also would stink offensively too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With our power play taking this recent slide and all the shorthanded goals we've allowed this season, I'd like to know how good our power play REALLY is when looking at goal differential.

This was the first shorthanded goal in a while, but I swear we've allowed 5 or 6 this season.

Our goal differential on the power play might make our power play even less impressive than it looks on paper.

I remember when our PK was bad in the lockout year, people were arguing that it wasn't that bad because we scored however many shorthanded goals when on the PK. And that our goal differential while shorthanded was actually one of the best in the league because of it.

I don't think our goal differential on the power play is the worst in the league or anything, but I think it's possible that it really hasn't been as good as it look on paper.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He plays twelve minutes a game and if he's not playing it'd be some other plug like Josefson that also would stink offensively too.

I'd rather Josefson be in, because I think he helps the power play.

I don't think he's anything better than a 4th liner though, which Hynes hasn't seemed to wanna make that conclusion yet. Which is why I'm mildly afraid that he'll get another chance at being the 3rd line center next year if he's out for a significant stretch this year.

''He didn't have enough time to show what he could do and his potential, and it was an unfortunate injury after he was making some huge strides and progress'' or something like that will be the quote.

But Ruutu is still our worst forward by leaps and bounds. I'm starting to think Matteau might be almost as bad though. Sislo is bad too, but he's just a call up.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Merrill played 23 ES minutes, more than anyone by 3 minutes. Greene and Larsson played 20 ES + 3 PK minutes though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
With our power play taking this recent slide and all the shorthanded goals we've allowed this season, I'd like to know how good our power play REALLY is when looking at goal differential.

This was the first shorthanded goal in a while, but I swear we've allowed 5 or 6 this season.

Our goal differential on the power play might make our power play even less impressive than it looks on paper.

I remember when our PK was bad in the lockout year, people were arguing that it wasn't that bad because we scored however many shorthanded goals when on the PK. And that our goal differential while shorthanded was actually one of the best in the league because of it.

I don't think our goal differential on the power play is the worst in the league or anything, but I think it's possible that it really hasn't been as good as it look on paper.

I don't know if it's updated to include tonight but we've now dropped to 15th on the PP (26/135 - 19.3%) with 6 SH goals allowed.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Too bad he shot way high and wide on the odd-man rush.

He had time to get a good shot on net.

Condon was beatable tonight.

That was arguably the best chance of the game and Sislo shows why he's an AHL player and can't stick in the NHL at age 28 or whatever he is now.

The fact that we even call up this player is a joke, I thought it would stop after Lou and company were gone.

He's the new Sestito.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
That was arguably the best chance of the game and Sislo shows why he's an AHL player and can't stick in the NHL at age 28 or whatever he is now.

The fact that we even call up this player is a joke, I thought it would stop after Lou and company were gone.

He's the new Sestito.

Sestito didn't score or get scoring changes. Sislo doesn't score, but gets scoring changes.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sestito didn't score or get scoring changes. Sislo doesn't score, but gets scoring changes.

He probably also has a better corsi too, so advanced stats people love him.

Jacob Josefson has good advanced stats too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad