Your Most Embarrassing Post or Worst Take

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I thought Hamel would figure it out as well.

He wasn’t short through IIRC.
Huh, I stand corrected. Not sure why I thought so... maybe because he "played small" i.e. not the level of physicality you'd expect from a guy of his stature?

Either way, AHL star is nothing to sneeze at. Guys toil away their whole careers hoping to achieve that level of success. But man, makes you wonder what if.

Reactions: Bileur

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I did a "let's trade alfie" thread I'm not proud of.

Also, i liked to compare patty weircoch's NCAA totals favourably to J. Toews which usually got me thoroughly mocked.

I thought silf and rundt were both going to be elite players, too.

Reactions: BigRig4

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I said Dorion got the core right and when they won, he'd be recognized for building it. I may have overrated the core. And I definitely underrated the importance of getting the rest of the roster right. Live and learn.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was not a big fan of Hoffman. He didn't end up amounting to much but he definitely proved me wrong in that he ended up being an NHL player, just not a very good one.

The one I ended up being most wrong on was Peter Regin, but to be fair, it was because of an injury that he never recovered from. He looked so damn good before his shoulder gave out...

Colin White is another one but let's not summon Sweat Red. I was wrong, let's leave it at that.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I was not a big fan of Hoffman. He didn't end up amounting to much but he definitely proved me wrong in that he ended up being an NHL player, just not a very good one.

The one I ended up being most wrong on was Peter Regin, but to be fair, it was because of an injury that he never recovered from. He looked so damn good before his shoulder gave out...

Colin White is another one but let's not summon Sweat Red. I was wrong, let's leave it at that.
Mike was awesome until the team sucked. He's the kind of player where warts show more when you're playing for nothing, even though he was never a defensive stalwart. He was a pretty clutch player most of his time in Ottawa.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

ditto on Colin White

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Mike was awesome until the team sucked. He's the kind of player where warts show more when you're playing for nothing, even though he was never a defensive stalwart. He was a pretty clutch player most of his time in Ottawa.
He was a good goal scorer for sure, but that makes him one dimensional, even if the dimension is a very, very important one.

It is hindsight, and his peak was in Ottawa, but I think we can say his career was unremarkable considering how good he was at scoring goals. He "should have been" way better with that skill set.

Useful player for sure, goals are a good thing to get, but I'm comfortable with calling him a not very good one as well.

EDIT: I'll be positive and call him a complementary player, rather than a not very good one.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I still keep holding out hope for Tyler Boucher. That hope may have been misplaced.
On paper, Boucher looks like such an intriguing prospect. Unfortunately, the problem with guys who get hurt a lot is that they seem to get hurt a lot. I just don't see that changing with him...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ate major crow on Tkachuk. Thought he'd be a 50-60P guy. Didn't see PPG upside based on mediocre numbers at lower levels.

I actually liked the Chychrun trade when it was made. Called it Dorion's best trade. Ended up being closer to his worse trade.

Loved the Logan Brown pick. Thought he had a good chance at being a #1 center.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Hated the Tkachuk & Sanderson picks.
"Hated" would be too strong in my case, since I just don't follow prospects all that much to form strong opinions, but there were definitely players I knew and followed that I wanted drafted where these two guys were drafted.

In the Tkachuk draft, my guy was Bouchard, and in the Sanderson draft, the guy I wanted drafted there was Rossi.

Reactions: bicboi64

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ate major crow on Tkachuk. Thought he'd be a 50-60P guy. Didn't see PPG upside based on mediocre numbers at lower levels.

I actually liked the Chychrun trade when it was made. Called it Dorion's best trade. Ended up being closer to his worse trade.

Loved the Logan Brown pick. Thought he had a good chance at being a #1 center.
I thought Brown was going to work out too.

Reactions: Micklebot

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Any post that I defended or gave Dorion the benefit of the doubt. How many times I said "leave him alone, he is just Melnyk's puppet"?

It was only at the beginning of the 2020-21 season that I was completely out of the denial phase, once I saw that he could be the worst GM of all time on his own and didn't need the Melnyk excuse at all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad