Your high hopes for Leaf prospects that fell through?

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Wasn't he Norwegian?

On top of Caputi and Mueller (previously mentioned them), I also thought Aulie would become a solid top 4 guy.

Yeah I liked Aulie too. It was because he did quite well in his first year and then just trailed off afterwards.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Not sure how people can mention late rounders as prospects who fell through before they even played in the NHL.

to me it would be Kulemin and Frattin. Kulemin had an amazing season, driving the net for goals and looked to be the perfect 2nd line winger two-way player type got 31 and then 36 points in his first 2 seasons, then 57 in his third, really thought he was progressing. His offence has regressed considerably since then and he's more of a 30 point player at best now. Not worth anywhere near his contract as hes a 3rd line player.

Frattin had an awesome start to his NHL career and looked great in the shortened season, he always had the speed, always seemed to get breakaways and had good chemistry with Kadri. He never progressed and his offence completely dissappeared, went from looking like a 2nd/3rd liner to a borderline NHLer.

Overall, we havent had a major bust though, more like late rounders that played decently but never exploded, which kinda shows how poor our drafting is, we rarely draft a star.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Where to start...

Schenn - Human Eraser and whatnot

Biggs- loved the pick on draft day, looked progressively worse as time passed

Wellwood - Lazy and indecisive with the puck, but man did he have talent

Suglobov - :laugh: looked really good that one preseason

Stralman - Well it looks good now, just not for the Leafs :(

Tlusty- Was fun to watch in WJC/AHL, but man did the Leafs screw up his development

D'amigo - Thought he'd at least be a 3rd liner

Ross- thought he was a surefire 3rd liner

Yeah, I gotta learn to not be so optimistic with out prospects...

FutureGM44

Jul 6, 2015
For me it is Luke Schenn hands down, the '08 draft was deemed Stamkos and the four top notch Dmen, Doughty and Peitrelangelo are superstars and Bogosian is solid, then we have Luke Schenn, at least we were able to flip him for JVR beforse his stock was too far gone

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Brendan Bell - Thought he might be something, he never panned out. Although it looks like he's still carving out a career in the AHL.

Ian White - I had this guy pegged as a future captain. After he landed in Detroit and they played him on the top pairing there with Lindstrom, i thought that was really his breakout year ... i thought for sure he was going to make us all rue the day he was traded ... but i guess the thing about being a fan is, we can never really see what's going on off the ice. Glad to see he's still playing hockey though.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Tyler Biggs. First of all he did not develop at all like I thought he would and he is no longer part of the organisation. Still think he can become a solid NHL player and that perhaps tells a lot of how I rated him considering there are very few signs he will even be a regular AHL player.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Justin Pogge

He had that great year in the WHL and then just never really developed in the AHL and barely touched the NHL, What a shame.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Olden received rave reviews at his first rookie camp. Cereda also had good reviews at his first NHL camp then the next year they found a heart problem during the physical. When he came back it was like he was afraid of contact and had little energy.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Suglobov - :laugh: looked really good that one preseason

Now there was an uncoachable player. I've never seen a more clueless player about where he was supposed to be on the ice during his shift (Harold Druken was close). He'd spend the entire shift on the wrong wing. Once he was demoted back to the Marlies he quite literally quit trying and was sent home.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
This is going a ways back, but Todd Warriner never seemed to reach the heights expected of him. I seem to remember he was rated quite highly, had all the tools, but just never put it all together 100%.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
At one point I thought Jeremy Williams would score 82 goals in 82 games - I was like 9 years old.

I really thought Kenny Ryan would pull it together. I also thought Matt Stajan would become a stud 2C with Alex Steen and Kyle Wellwod, only one of them became a stud..

As for more recently, I was one of the few that actually trusted Burke with his goon picks. I thought we were turning into the Bruins and guys like Biggs and Devane were going to become 20 goal enforcers.

Just because I had his rookie card (Either the Devils or Blues, can't remember) but I thought Suglobov was the next Kovalchuck

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Looking at this thread, it strikes me how solid our drafting was coming out of the lockout, and consequently how badly this team was mismanaged to mess it all up. From 2005 to 2008 we had a phenomenal success rate at the draft, just a lot of singles, no homeruns. A couple long balls that fell just short, and a couple home runs that were gifted to other teams.

from 2005 to 2008

Rask
Stralman
Tlusty
Kulemin
Reimer
Holzer
Stalberg
Komarov
Frattin
Gunnarson
Schenn
Hayes
Pateryn
Macwilliam

Throw in the 2002 draft of
Steen, Stajan, White

Steen-Kadri-Kessel
Tlusty-Grabovski-Kulemin
Komarov-Mitchell-Hayes
Stalberg-xxxxx-Frattin

Phaneuf-Stralman
Gunnarsson-Schenn
xxxxxx-Holzer
Macwilliam

Rask
Reimer

Bolded acquired out side the zone.
Stajan and White traded for Phaneuf, Pateryn+pick for Grabo, Picks for kessel, Mitchell and Kadri drafted in non listed years.

Draft shmaft.

Last edited:

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
So many picks

Maxim Kondratiev. Roman Kukumberg. Peter Ing. Steve Bancroft. Rob and Scott Pearson. Aelxander Godynyuk. Martin Prochazka. Jeff Ware. Marek Posmyk.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
schenn. put on weight improperly and slowed down. not a bright player to begin. i thought he'd at least be a komisarek or yuskevich.

pilar. showed a lot of potential, but had heart problems.

cereda. no skill whatsoever

olden. he needed specific development and patience which he didn't get. #1 thing was to improve his skating, then his shot. he might have made it with this regime.

ross. i hoped he would be a tucker

nichols. did well in the whl and couldn't make the roster.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is going a ways back, but Todd Warriner never seemed to reach the heights expected of him. I seem to remember he was rated quite highly, had all the tools, but just never put it all together 100%.

Kind of reminds me of Peter Holland in that respect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad