Value of: Your goaler to the Avs

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's not he's technically bad either, he's just got no mental toughness. Most of the goals he lets in is due to overthinking the play or playing mind games with himself due to a lack of confidence.

He is the biggest discrepancy I've ever seen in terms of off ice confidence and on ice confidence. He was sulking in a season that was AWFUL for him in 21-22 because he wasn't starting or at least playing more, meanwhile Igor was having a Vezina season. He thinks he's very good but when he actually plays he doesn't seem to think he's very good. It's as if he gets amnesia when he's on the ice.

Reactions: S E P H

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That's fine. I just like him every time I've seen him, I think he's a growth stock. At some point you're gonna have to probably do something and you can poke holes in about every option there's gonna be. I'm not saying mortgage the farm for him (though the Habs will not likely give him up cheaply).

I don't disagree that they'll need to do something at some point. But giving up what the Habs would want for their career .899 SV% goalie they just signed for 3 years at $3.15 AAV isn't it, no matter how much you like him when you see him. That's just too much cap for too long for too many assets, and literally the opposite of what a "growth stock" should be. It's supposed to be buy low, and get bigger returns, not buy at inflated prices and hope eventually reaches that value down the road.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wouldn't be shocked if they end up with Vanacek or Blackwood
Depends on what the Avs want to accomplish. If they want to get rid of Georgiev, the Sharks make a lot of sense with one of them as the return and the Avs throwing in a 2nd round pick. I would hope that the Avs would retain in that situation to make moving Georgiev later in the season a little more realistic.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Gibson (50% retained) for Georgiev + 2nd + B prospect is the move

50% retention plus taking on Georgiev is practically like retaining 100% on Gibson this year since they have no use for Georgiev, and 50% additional retention for two more years. I don't think a 2nd and a B prospect is enticing enough to convince the Ducks to do that.

Truthfully, Gibson at 50% should be worth something decent on his own. He becomes a pretty low risk, high reward bet at that point. At essentially 100% retention you'd better pony up something real.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Gibson (50% retained) for Georgiev + 2nd + B prospect is the move
Not worth it to retain that much and take Georgiev on just for a late 2nd and B prospect. They might as well just keep Gibson and roll the dice he regains form as the team gets better over his contract.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Anaheim would be saving $300k this year by swapping Gibson 50% for Georgiev since Georgiev's real salary is only $2.9m.

Anaheim would also be saving $6.4m across the next two seasons by dumping Gibson at 50%.

$6.7m is a lot of money for a team with a tight internal budget.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Not worth it to retain that much and take Georgiev on just for a late 2nd and B prospect. They might as well just keep Gibson and roll the dice he regains form as the team gets better over his contract.
I agree, at least for this year. But it also depends on Gibson and if he's willing to take more of a 1B/backup role moving forward.

Last thing you want is a disgruntled vet in the locker room on a rebuilding team.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Anaheim would be saving $300k this year by swapping Gibson 50% for Georgiev since Georgiev's real salary is only $2.9m.

Anaheim would also be saving $6.4m across the next two seasons by dumping Gibson at 50%.

The cash savings things doesn't really sell when the Ducks are barely over the floor. They are going to have to spend anything they dump on someone else.

They would also be paying 6.4 mil for a guy to not be on the roster, which I think is harder to swallow for a budget team then paying him to play. Like I said, I personally dont think a late 2nd and B prospect is worth paying 6.4 mil for. Not against trading Gibson at all, just think the return should be worth it or they are better off holding him until the deadline. Similar to Fowler.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

They'd probably be under the cap floor and have to spend that money anyway. So the end result is likely no savings, a swap of Gibson for nothing this year, and two years of whoever they sign for 3m, which let's be real, doesn't buy you much of note these days on the UFA market (certainly no one you'd trade Gibson for at 50%).

Dr Amazing

Oct 5, 2017
Gibson 50% retained salary to Colorado for Georgiev and a 3rd since Dostal is the Ducks starter i'll send the paper work thank you and good day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad