Your Five Top Bruins/NHL Sites/Sources/Podcasts?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Top three, top five, top ten. It's up to you.

With the season upon us, what are your favorite Bruins/NHL sites/sources/podcasts?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

"I say Let 'er rip, Mr. President,"

1695244182437.png
1695244215648.png
1695244326585.png

Reactions: HustleB

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
1) Short Shift Podcast. Easily #1. Passionate and entertaining and those guys know puck.

2) Morning Bru. Like a nice comfortable pair of pajamas.

3) 32 Thoughts. Not Bruins but listen to every one.

I’ll cherry pick pods off of The Athletic NHL. And will listen to Chiclets occasionally for an j terview but not the rest of their stuff.

Babajingo

- 32 Thoughts is good for national news (Puck Soup to a lesser extent)
- Spittin Chicklets used to be awesome for the players side, stories. It's still OK but I've noticed the first half the podcast is about how drunk they got over the weekend. It used to be like 5 minutes but now its more like 45 mins. The interviews are still great. Especially the minor league stories.
- The Skate Podcast (locally) has some young reporters. It's ok. Showing my age: when they were talking about long Bruins players careers (when Bergy retired), they were completely shocked about Chiefs longevity. I was screaming in my car radio :)
- I'm not a fan of the Sat morning show on SportsHub. I like all the people but it just regurgitates the same questions to each of the guests (Beers, Sirot, Jaffee, some reporter, ...). And the host is super long winded. it takes him 3 mins to ask a question.
- I just started listening to the AthleticHockey Show podcast. Good thing about this one is they release a show almost daily.
- Sad thing is there is nothing good on the radio or on regular TV. There might be something on TSN, Sportsnet or CBC but nothing in the states.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: GordonHowe

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I just wait for @GordonHowe to post a link on HFBoards :).

Edit: in seriousness, the signal to noise ratio on most of the sources sucks. I used to be a junkie, but I do find the most interesting stuff makes its way here anyway and here is more fun than listening to an hour long podcast hoping for a nugget.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
- 32 Thoughts is good for national news (Puck Soup to a lesser extent)
- Spittin Chicklets used to be awesome for the players side, stories. It's still OK but I've noticed the first half the podcast is about how drunk they got over the weekend. It used to be like 5 minutes but now its more like 45 mins. The interviews are still great. Especially the minor league stories.
- The Skate Podcast (locally) has some young reporters. It's ok. Showing my age: when they were talking about long Bruins players careers (when Bergy retired), they were completely shocked about Chiefs longevity. I was screaming in my car radio :)
- I'm not a fan of the Sat morning show on SportsHub. I like all the people but it just regurgitates the same questions to each of the guests (Beers, Sirot, Jaffee, some reporter, ...). And the host is super long winded. it takes him 3 mins to ask a question.
- I just started listening to the AthleticHockey Show podcast. Good thing about this one is they release a show almost daily.
- Sad thing is there is nothing good on the radio or on regular TV. There might be something on TSN, Sportsnet or CBC but nothing in the states.
My 2 cents.

Thank you.

For years, I was not crazy about Elliotte Friedman because I suspected a ballooning ego.

1] However, this summer I tuned in to various guest appearances, and 32 Thoughts per the Babcock business, and both Friedman and Jeff Marek proved intelligent and thoughtful in their analysis. I'll be listening going forward.

2] Can't abide Spittin' Chicklets for the reason you mention. I don't give a f*ck about their personal lives and their golf game. Typical, tedious, tiresome sports radio crap, interspersed with promoting their celebrity "brand" and whatever shit product they're pushing that week. Jesus Christ. Shut the f*ck up.

Plus, though I used to pick up the paper edition of Barstool Sports, which actually contained Bruins talk, Rob Portnoy is a schmuck. A clever and wealthy schmuck, but a schmuck. Do a little digging into this guy's behavior and reputation. Cancel Babs? Cancel this f*ck as well.

3] May check Skate podcast. Thank you. No thanks to The Hockey Show or Morning Bru for the reasons you cite. I'm guessing "Maria from Watertown" still gets the first call.

4] Checked The Athletic Hockey Show a few days ago and may give it a chance.

FWIW Dept.:

Check Boston Hockey Now and the Bruins-centric version of The Hockey Writers. Yes, I know.

Conor Ryan on Boston.com; Mark Divver on ProJo.com; The Hockey News; Larry Brooks of the New York Post; Have to subscribe to the Herald for Steve Conroy, so no go, but Conroy is fine.

No Go Fluto.

Podcasts thus far: Bruins Beat/Poke the Bear with Evan Marinofsky and Conor Ryan. They're young, but they know what they're talking about. Entertaining but schtick-free. My favorite podcast.

Believe it or not, not least for some of the guests, Pucks With Haggs. I realize many here are not fans, nor am I, particularly. However, Haggerty actually knows the game. He can go on a bit, and I'm certain he has a high opinion of himself, but he's smart and insightful.

I also realize many here are not Chris Nilan fans, but I've become a fan of the Raw Knuckles podcast. Along with former NHLer Tim Stapleton, Nilan interviews players, refs, coaches, management and media -- from "back in the day" to the present.

I did not expect to like or respect Nilan, but I do. He is bright, perceptive, well-spoken, and honest.

Thank you for the replies.

Please keep the suggestions coming,

1695260161821.png

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Thank you.

For years, I was not crazy about Elliotte Friedman because I suspected a ballooning ego.

1] However, this summer I tuned in to various guest appearances, and 32 Thoughts per the Babcock business, and both Friedman and Jeff Marek proved intelligent and thoughtful in their analysis. I'll be listening going forward.

2] Can't abide Spittin' Chicklets for the reason you mention. I don't give a f*ck about their personal lives and their golf game. Typical, tedious, tiresome sports radio crap, interspersed with promoting their celebrity "brand" and whatever shit product they're pushing that week. Jesus Christ. Shut the f*ck up.

Plus, though I used to pick up the paper edition of Barstool Sports, which actually contained Bruins talk, Rob Portnoy is a schmuck. A clever and wealthy schmuck, but a schmuck. Do a little digging into this guy's behavior and reputation. Cancel Babs? Cancel this f*ck as well.

3] May check Skate podcast. Thank you. No thanks to The Hockey Show or Morning Bru for the reasons you cite. I'm guessing "Maria from Watertown" still gets the first call.

4] Checked The Athletic Hockey Show a few days ago and may give it a chance.

FWIW Dept.:

Check Boston Hockey Now and the Bruins-centric version of The Hockey Writers. Yes, I know.

Conor Ryan on Boston.com; Mark Divver on ProJo.com; The Hockey News; Larry Brooks of the New York Post; Have to subscribe to the Herald for Steve Conroy, so no go, but Conroy is fine.

No Go Fluto.

Podcasts thus far: Bruins Beat/Poke the Bear with Evan Marinofsky and Conor Ryan. They're young, but they know what they're talking about. Entertaining but schtick-free. My favorite podcast.

Believe it or not, not least for some of the guests, Pucks With Haggs. I realize many here are not fans, nor am I, particularly. However, Haggerty actually knows the game. He can go on a bit, and I'm certain he has a high opinion of himself, but he's smart and insightful.

I also realize many here are not Chris Nilan fans, but I've become a fan of the Raw Knuckles podcast. Along with former NHLer Tim Stapleton, Nilan interviews players, refs, coaches, management and media -- from "back in the day" to the present.

I did not expect to like or respect Nilan, but I do. He is bright, perceptive, well-spoken, and honest.

Thank you for the replies.

Please keep the suggestions coming,

View attachment 744730
Why not try Short Shift? BruinsNetwork did an awesome segment on Bruins prospects last year in the show.

Reactions: dangermike

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I just wait for @GordonHowe to post a link on HFBoards :).

You will be waiting a long time, sir.
Edit: in seriousness, the signal to noise ratio on most of the sources sucks. I used to be a junkie, but I do find the most interesting stuff makes its way here anyway and here is more fun than listening to an hour long podcast hoping for a nugget.

100%. That's why I haven't listened to sports radio, especially the local variety, in, literally, fifteen years.

Garbage from bright fellows like Felger and Massarotti, two ostensibly decent types who know better, but made a deal with the devil.

Sirius XM NHL.
tsn.ca.

Sirius XM NHL.
tsn.ca.

I don't have Sirius.

And can I really take TSN, ah, seriously?

Missing the 3 Amigos.

Morning Bru and New England Hockey Journal (when Mark Divver is on)

I miss 'em too.

NEHJ with Divver will be great. Thank you. PS Evan Marinofsky is the editor.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I actually intend to avoid all that stuff this year ( podcasts, YouTube ) . I’ll watch every game and come here and read . Not sure if I will post a whole lot but I will be reading . I’m just going to be grateful to have something to watch . After last year , I really won’t have expectations going into the playoffs. What happens , happens .

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
Why not try Short Shift? BruinsNetwork did an awesome segment on Bruins prospects last year in the show.
That was an awesome episode. I like the show when they leave the prospect stuff to the experts. Other than that, they are tops and it’s not close.

Also OnlyBruins. Super random and out of the ordinary at times but thumbs alllll the way up.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
That was an awesome episode. I like the show when they leave the prospect stuff to the experts. Other than that, they are tops and it’s not close.

Also OnlyBruins. Super random and out of the ordinary at times but thumbs alllll the way up.

Thanks for OnlyBruins.

Again, I know some don't like Nilan, but "Scruwy" is f*cking hilarious,

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I don’t enjoy podcasts and prefer to read my news. Is it worthwhile to try to find transcripts of the podcasts? I’m guessing it is not.

Anyhow I’m highly interested in text based sources beyond Divver and Dom which I follow.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I don’t enjoy podcasts and prefer to read my news. Is it worthwhile to try to find transcripts of the podcasts? I’m guessing it is not.

Anyhow I’m highly interested in text based sources beyond Divver and Dom which I follow.

I'm not a huge podcast guy myself. A lot of them are terrible.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The Hockey Show 98.5 FM Saturday mornings 9-11am. Fantastic listen.

“Hosted by Ryan Johnston, and the voices of the Boston Bruins, Judd Sirott & Bob Beers along with analysis from 985thesportshub.com’s Ty Anderson & NHL Network’s Billy Jaffe”

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
The Hockey Show 98.5 FM Saturday mornings 9-11am. Fantastic listen.

“Hosted by Ryan Johnston, and the voices of the Boston Bruins, Judd Sirott & Bob Beers along with analysis from 985thesportshub.com’s Ty Anderson & NHL Network’s Billy Jaffe”

Thanks for posting.

As noted, I don't listen to the Hockey Show because although he knows his stuff, Billy Jaffe is a bit much for me. That's why I don't listen to Morning Bru anymore, either.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad