Your Desired Result for ROR ?

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
"My desired result for Ryan O'Reilly?" (to answer the question asked in the Subject line)

"IF he has to be traded (and it is looking like that is the end result)...anywhere but Toronto

Agreed. Luckily I don't think we have anything to worry about there. We know the Leafs don't have much to entice us beyond Reilly and that isn't likely. The Leafs are always in trade talks for major players throughout the league because of the media in Toronto not because they are actually in the running

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
So if ROR could be signed at =/> 6.75m for long term, would we prefer to keep him and move the 2015 1st (top 3 protected) for defense?

I'm usually a patient fan, but not sure I'd want to wait 2-3 more years, assuming a defenseman is picked, for that 1st to really impact the team.

Cap would be continually tricky for the long term, but we have all seen teams like the Hawks manage to find a way to just hover under the cap.

Also, it does not shut the door on trading him in the future unless his production goes all "Clarkson" in relation to his salary.

Just changing the dialog a bit since the trade options and value have been covered pretty well

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd love to keep him long-term. I'm not sure how much help our 1st would give us for D though but it would be intriguing.

As I said in another thread, I have some concerns about a MacKinnon/Duchene 1-2 punch at center. Their game seems really similar so far. They both like to use speed to the outside and look to pass first. Having ROR as a second line center gives us a different look and a more complete game. Also, we don't have the forwards to fully complement two pass-first top 6 centers.

If MacKinnon does develop into a super-star center we can then discuss who would be the odd man out between ROR and Duchene. If he doesn't develop into that stud 1st line center, I'm still pretty certain he'll be a really good/dominate 1st line winger. Extending ROR would not only buy us time to better figure out that three headed beast and fix the offense but could potentially give us more options down the road.

I'm just not sure how well the D can be fixed until a trade happens though....not convinced the 1st rounder is a big enough chip depending on where we draft.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think O'Reilly would sign with Avs this summer because he would be worried Avs would trade him during the season before any NTC kicks in.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't think O'Reilly would sign with Avs this summer because he would be worried Avs would trade him during the season before any NTC kicks in.

That thought has crossed my mind as well.

Pretty sure I know the answer to this but they can't sign a new contract and add a clause to the current one can they? Like say ROR signs for 5-7 years at 6.75M per (with or without a NMC/NTC) but then offers a list of 5-8 teams he will not be traded to during the final season of his UFA contract? If that isn't specifically not allowed, I'd still think the NHPLA would hate the idea.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
How about a 6yr contact with a no move/no trade for the first 3 years similar to the one Staal just signed

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
How about a 6yr contact with a no move/no trade for the first 3 years similar to the one Staal just signed

Still can trade him next season, as the NTC/NMC doesn't kick in until Fall 2016.

I have come one with the fact ROR will bolt to Free Agency if he remains with the Avs.

My desired trade with ROR would be to package him for a nice D and a forward, e.g. Myers/Zadorov and some forward (either NHL or prospect, but preferably NHL).
A plus with that could be a pick (2015 2nd must already burn in Roy's hands) or a prospect they like (not named Bigras/Bleackley).

We traded the '16 2nd for Stuart right?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Or how about the opposite, would you accept a top 5 (let's assume not top 2) pick for O'Reilly?

I would consider it. By the time the draft rolls around, I have a feeling the AVs will have a pretty good idea of what they can and can't get in a trade. Who knows, they may be able to get that elusive dman with a combination of picks/players or prospects at the draft that they can't get in a trade involving ROR. Regardless, I think if the AVs haven't moved ROR by the time the first round of the draft is over, we'll see a very underwhelming return or watch him walk for free.

umdieecke*

I'd love to keep him long-term. I'm not sure how much help our 1st would give us for D though but it would be intriguing.

As I said in another thread, I have some concerns about a MacKinnon/Duchene 1-2 punch at center. Their game seems really similar so far. They both like to use speed to the outside and look to pass first. Having ROR as a second line center gives us a different look and a more complete game. Also, we don't have the forwards to fully complement two pass-first top 6 centers.

If MacKinnon does develop into a super-star center we can then discuss who would be the odd man out between ROR and Duchene. If he doesn't develop into that stud 1st line center, I'm still pretty certain he'll be a really good/dominate 1st line winger. Extending ROR would not only buy us time to better figure out that three headed beast and fix the offense but could potentially give us more options down the road.

I'm just not sure how well the D can be fixed until a trade happens though....not convinced the 1st rounder is a big enough chip depending on where we draft.

People should be more worried about Duchenes trajectory.

Btw, I don't see it's bad for guys who have speed to use it. They were set up for failure with a series of decisions.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Still can trade him next season, as the NTC/NMC doesn't kick in until Fall 2016.

I have come one with the fact ROR will bolt to Free Agency if he remains with the Avs.

My desired trade with ROR would be to package him for a nice D and a forward, e.g. Myers/Zadorov and some forward (either NHL or prospect).
A plus with that could be a pick (2015 2nd must already burn in Roy's hands) or a prospect they like (not named Bigras/Bleackley).

Roy will promise not to trade him by giving ROR his 4 cup rings as collateral

win win

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
People should be more worried about Duchenes trajectory.

Btw, I don't see it's bad for guys who have speed to use it. They were set up for failure with a series of decisions.

I guess as guys like Duchene slow down in the next few years, they need to develop more tools than just speed. I think this is where we need to really pay attention to how Duchene and MacKinnon develop outside of their current strengths.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Does anyone think it's out of the question for Roy/Sakic to be talking to O'Reilly about potentially switching agents? They've called out the agent more than once, Roy basically put the blame on him today, maybe they're talking to him about getting a different agent in hopes things will be easier

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Does anyone think it's out of the question for Roy/Sakic to be talking to O'Reilly about potentially switching agents? They've called out the agent more than once, Roy basically put the blame on him today, maybe they're talking to him about getting a different agent in hopes things will be easier

And a new daddy, too...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

O'Reilly loves his agent. He's made more money than Matt Duchene in his career.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
They can say that, but coming from that source O'Reilly has less reason to listen to them.

With the Broncos Mike Shannahan could get pretty vindictive and after Clinton Portis kept trying for a new contract Shanny just wouldn't deal with Drew Rosenhaus clients.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If Newport clients find themselves falling in the draft because teams see it is a risk that would be one thing. But until then...

Interesting it seems they don't have many high profile guys this years draft class. Strome is the only one I can tell.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
O'Reilly loves his agent. He's made more money than Matt Duchene in his career.

He's coming up on 400 games (8 away) and has 216 points. Currently he's sitting with a .55 ppg average on his first 6 seasons. Duchene's got a .76 for reference.

I wonder where ROR ranks in history on some kind of points per dollar spent ratio for players their first six seasons? I bet it's pretty high up there on the wrong side of the list. He's been paid very well in his young life so far.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If Newport clients find themselves falling in the draft because teams see it is a risk that would be one thing. But until then...

Interesting it seems they don't have many high profile guys this years draft class. Strome is the only one I can tell.

It's what I hope will happen, more young players see these high-profile players embarked in hold-outs and bitter battles with their team, and the majority of the time, it's Newport Agency. I think it's something that absolutely could happen, players either drop in the draft because of Newport, or they stay away from Newport altogether

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Newport Sports probably have 100 NHLers. It's not realistic to boycott them. Besides, there are problem clients with other agencies also.

If O'Reilly were to drop his agent he'll probably use his father as agent instead.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Newport Sports probably have 100 NHLers. It's not realistic to boycott them. Besides, there are problem clients with other agencies also.

If O'Reilly were to drop his agent he'll probably use his father as agent instead.

Just saw on their site that Iginla is represented by Newport. Would be nice if he could be in O'Reilly's ear about potentially staying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad