Your countries U23 team right now

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm just thinking of the irony if Finland does win and gets their first best on best title ever led by.........A Russian.

Jesus.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm just thinking of the irony if Finland does win and gets their first best on best title ever led by.........A Russian.

Jesus.
Easy now . Imagine how you'd feel if they said that about Gretzky.lol.

Or Nedved. Or Stastny. Or xhekaj. Or Bonk.

I'll see myself out lol

Reactions: mattihp

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Easy now . Imagine how you'd feel if they said that about Gretzky.lol.

Or Nedved. Or Stastny. Or xhekaj. Or Bonk.

I'll see myself out lol
We hardly have the history ( in some cases like Albania none at all) with any of those places like the Finns do with the Russians, massive difference.

and I mean the guy is LEGIT Russian, this is not some fourth Generation immigrant stuff. Both parents are Russian, his parents made the decision to live there ...............Alex speaks the language and everything.

I mean won't that be something if it happens? Emil Mannerheim will be rolling in his grave.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
because they are Canada that's why..................and no further explanation is required there.

You wanna talk about drop offs? You should be scared of Finlands results ....................Finland hasn't won a freaking medal at any tournament in 2 years. They've been getting bounced with ease each time.

That-a-boy, jj. Don't put up with no <bleep>. :) :thumbu:

• Haha
Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
For @jj cale, Canadian hockey is like family. If he says something bad about Canadian hockey, and he does ALL the time, it's okay because, well, "we're family". But, if an outsider bad mouths Canadian hockey, watch out... :)

1720383181966.png

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I know, my friend. I just thought it was funny.

I back you when you stand up for Canadian hockey. Well done. :)
I have no problem with criticism of Canada from fans of other teams as long as it's a serious post based on reality, when it's a clown troll post though and especially by posters with a well known history of that, well................that's another matter.

Anyway enough of that, back to under 23 teams

Reactions: ORRFForever

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The goalie situation in Canada makes NO sense. If you can provide an explanation and a cure, Hockey Canada is listening.
It actually makes perfect sense.

Canada has outsourced its player development to the private sector (in the form of our major junior system) and what we see in goaltending is the result.

Canada is excellent in terms of identifying high performance players, which is done kind of in a hybrid model: some of it is Hockey Canada and some is the junior teams. But the vast majority of those players wind up in junior A or major junior, whose primary focus is winning. When those players get to junior, then, they have their creativity drilled out of them in lieu of team-first systems and improvement of individual skills takes a back seat.

Goalies typically develop a little slower, but they need reps to develop. And the team-first mentality means that a whole shit ton of potentially quality goalies are not getting adequate work. Most major junior teams have one starter and one backup, who picks up 15-20 games a year. If developing goaltenders was the priority, most of those backups would be playing Junior A getting actual playing time instead of riding the pine. But the first goal is winning games, so we have guys who maybe (it’s just a maybe) could develop not getting a real chance.

And then there was the nonsensical decision to allow Euro goalies in the CHL, after they’d been banned. I think there were seven or eight Euro starters (12%) last year. That doesn’t count US goalies.

I don’t have a complete cure - I think we need to stop bringing Euro goalies as a start. I’d like to investigate a better co-ordination between major junior and Junior A so that goalies stuck behind a workhorse got sent down to get playing time, although I’m not sure of the best mechanism for that. Maybe for a start, allow major junior to use 20-year-old goalies without them counting against the overager limit might allow goalies to develop more, although I could see how that might cause other problems.

Anyway, we’re seeing some goalies come along now, despite all this. Carter George has some potential, as does that Ravensberger kid in Prince George.

Reactions: ORRFForever

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
We hardly have the history ( in some cases like Albania none at all) with any of those places like the Finns do with the Russians, massive difference.

and I mean the guy is LEGIT Russian, this is not some fourth Generation immigrant stuff. Both parents are Russian, his parents made the decision to live there ...............Alex speaks the language and everything.

I mean won't that be something if it happens? Emil Mannerheim will be rolling in his grave.
Barkov has Russian parents yes but he has grown up in Finland and has more Finnish personality than even some Finns born for Finnish parents. He is as a person is as Finnish as someone can be. Thats good enough for me and I couldn't be happier to have him on team Finland.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Barkov has Russian parents yes but he has grown up in Finland and has more Finnish personality than even some Finns born for Finnish parents. He is as a person is as Finnish as someone can be. Thats good enough for me and I couldn't be happier to have him on team Finland.
:thumbu: I bet you;re happy to have him, Russia has produced some of the best players of all time and without this particular one your team would take a hell of a hit.

I'd be happy to have him, you guys sure lucked out.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yurov - Demidov - Michkov
Chibrikov - Khusnutdinov - Chinakhov
Guschin - Miroshnichenko - But
Groshev - Svechkov - Trikozov

Nikishin - Mintyukov
Simashev - Mukhamadullin
Silayev - Chayka
Gulyaev

Askarov
Ivanov

Really like how Russian defensive corps are building
I think that they might have Yurov play C, and split him from the other two.

Agree on the D.

USA:

Matt Boldy (2001) - Jack Hughes (2001) - Cole Caufield (2001)
Matthew Knies (2002) - Matty Beniers (2002) - Trevor Zegras (2001)
Nick Robertson (2001) - Logan Cooley (2004) - Arthur Kaliyev (2001)
Cutter Gauthier (2004) - Will Smith (2005) - Bobby Brink (2001)

Luke Hughes (2003) - Brock Faber (2002)
Jake Sanderson (2002) - Cam York (2001)
Alex Vlasic (2001) - Mason Lohrei (2001)

Spencer Knight (2001)
Dustin Wolf (2001)
Drew Commesso (2002)
Seems like a no brainer to reunite Knies, Cooley, and Snuggerud, no?

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
:thumbu: I bet you;re happy to have him, Russia has produced some of the best players of all time and without this particular one your team would take a hell of a hit.

I'd be happy to have him, you guys sure lucked out.

Enjoy.

Russia didnt produce Barkov. Barkov was born in Finland and grew up in the Finnish development system.

That’s a world of difference from Canada using Nedved, Stastny, even Mikita.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Russia didnt produce Barkov. Barkov was born in Finland and grew up in the Finnish development system.

That’s a world of difference from Canada using Nedved, Stastny, even Mikita.
Or the U.S using Trottier or Hull, or Esposito or Deadmarsh or Pominville.

Anyway, I didn't say that, I just said he's Russian.........which he is.

Or let me rephrase that..........he's Russo Finnish. And it's not like I haven't acknowledged the fact that Oliver Bonk is Czech Canadian in threads here so I'm not sure why you would get rankled by the fact I point out Barkovs accurate ethnicity.

Last edited:

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
That seemed like a fun thread and I was going to make my country's roster, until I saw that 75% of the posts is discussing current state of Canadian hockey, player eligibility, ethnicity, citizenship and just a whole lot of nothing.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Or the U.S using Trottier or Hull, or Esposito or Deadmarsh or Pominville.

Anyway, I didn't say that, I just said he's Russian.........which he is.

Or let me rephrase that..........he's Russo Finnish. And it's not like I haven't acknowledged the fact that Oliver Bonk is Czech Canadian in threads here so I'm not sure why you would get rankled by the fact I point out Barkovs accurate ethnicity.
Not every day I read Russo finnish.lol.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad