Your countries U23 team right now

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
But they have to be high quality players to be chosen in the first round.
No, they are high quality prospects. You become high quality players when you prove it by your play in the NHL.

Now some of those guys listed have proved they are good players in the NHL such as Byfiled Jarvis etc.................but please they ain't stars yet, you know that!! Fantilli for instance..........................he hasn't proven anything yet other then he can survive in the NHL as an 18 year old.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
No, they are high quality prospects. You become high quality players when you prove it by your play in the NHL.

Now some of those guys listed have proved they are good players in the NHL such as Byfiled Jarvis etc.................but please they ain't stars yet, you know that!! Fantilli for instance..........................he hasn't proven anything yet other then he can survive in the NHL as an 18 year old.
But they just started their career. Fantilli is only 19. Do you expect him to be a "star"?

You have to give Canada a chance to get past the 2016-2019 drafts. We all know they were garbage drafts and the kids who were drafted in 2020 and beyond are still "kids".

As for me : The 2020 draft has exceeded all my expectations. In the coming years, those kids will be stars.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
But they just started their career. Fantilli is only 19. Do you expect him to be a "star"?

You have to give Canada a chance to get past the 2016-2019 drafts. We all know they were garbage drafts and the kids who followed are still "kids".

The 2020 draft has exceeded all my expectations. In the coming years, those kids will be stars.
Who says I am not going to give them a chance to be a star? of course i am...............I hardly have a choice in that do I? They are going to play and they will either be or not be what we hope for. I fully realize they are just starting their careers.......i just don't think you can ( in fact I don't think I know) hand out tournament wins and gold medals before you/we even know just what level of player we have in them yet. For all I know Byfield etc are as good as they will ever be, I don't have a crystal ball or anything.

This isn't being pessimistic OR........................it's called being in current reality.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Who says I am not going to give them a chance to be a star? of course i am...............I hardly have a choice in that do I? They are going to play and they will either be or not be what we hope for. I fully realize they are just starting their careers.......i just don't think you can ( in fact I don't think I know) hand out tournament wins and gold medals before you/we even know just what level of player we have in the yet.

This isn't being pessimistic OR........................it's called being in current reality.
You are and I are ruining this thread but... :)

2026 is going to be tough because, again, we have a 4 year hole in our drafting. However, the players that follow are exceeding expectations and they will be the players who represent Canada in 2028 and beyond.

We also just had an NHL playoff where 14 of the top 25 scorers were Canadian.
We also just had a draft where 19 of the 32 first round picks were Canadian.
We also just had a draft where 7 of the top 10 draft picks were Canadian.

I don't know how much more you can want/expect.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You are and I are ruining this thread but... :)

2026 is going to be tough because, again, we have a 4 year hole in our drafting. However, the players that follow are exceeding expectations and they will be the players will represent Canada in 2028 and beyond.

We also just had an NHL playoff where 14 of the top 25 scorers were Canadians.
We just had a draft where 19 of the 32 first round picks were Canadian.
We just had a draft where 7 of the top 10 draft picks were Canadian.

I don't know how much more you can expect.
I've made my points clear enough, not sure why you are fighting this so much. It's not that I am unhappy with what we are producing at the drafts lately I am simply saying it doesn't assure us anything yet as we don't know what those players are going to develop into yet at their peaks.

I fail to see the problem with what I am saying. I certainly get the point you are making and it has been duly noted. I am just making a counterpoint to it

Also, don't believe this is thread derailing, we are discussing the team we have currently as 23 under.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've made my points clear enough, not sure why you are fighting this so much. It's not that I am unhappy with what we are producing at the drafts lately I am simply saying it doesn't assure us anything yet as we don't know what those players are going to develop into yet at their peaks.

I fail to see the problem with what I am saying.

Also, don't believe this is thread derailing, we are discussing the team we have currently as 23 under.
^^ That's fair. ^^

I just think you should be VERY OPTOMISTIC about our future based on the prospects we have in the pipeline!

I know I am. :)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That's fair.

I just think you should be VERY OPTOMISTIC about our future based on the prospects we have in the pipeline!

I know I am. :)
Sure, I'm optimistic. We are going to be cranking out good players. I just want as many GREAT ones as possible.

We will see soon enough.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If that's the biggest issue they have in their lives then they can consider themselves extremely fortunate.
P.S. Sorry if I was too aggressive with my posting. You and I are just so opposite, it can drive me a little crazy. :)
My bad.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
P.S. Sorry if I was too aggressive with my posting. You and I are just so opposite, it can drive me a little crazy. :)
Go Canada!!!

We're on the same team..............we just have different ways of going about it. You're the carrot and i'm the stick.

True... but I'm sure we're still annoying. :)
I'm annoying at the best of times, I came to peace with that a long time ago.

• Haha
Reactions: ORRFForever

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
it's not quantity that concerns me..........it's quality.
Agree with JJ. The U.S.A. just has more younger players that are flat out better than MOST of the young Canadians RIGHT NOW. Sure Canada has quantity, but the Americans have the highest quantity of the highest quality. With that being said, if Canada’s top players such as Bedard, McKenna, Fantilli and Celebrini pan out than I think the gap closes, but you can’t say that the youth movement is Canada is better than America’s when they haven’t proven themselves like the Americans have. More potential sure, but that’s what potential is. You need to live up to it.

Reactions: jj cale

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

You have to give Canada a chance to get past the 2016-2019 drafts. We all know they were garbage drafts and the kids who were drafted in 2020 and beyond are still "kids".

As for me : The 2020 draft has exceeded all my expectations. In the coming years, those kids will be stars.
It's hard to be scared of Canada anymore when their best player lost to a Finnish captain in stanley cup finals. The only one who has won a cup in the 2020 draft is a Finn also.

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Miroshnichenko-Khusnutdinov-Gritsyuk
Grebyonkin-Yurov-Chinakhov
Atanasov-Safonov-Michkov
Beryozkin-Svechkov-Podkolzin
Chibrikov, Bardakov

Mintyukov-Nikishin
Silayev-Konyushkov
Kuznetsov-Chistyakov
Mukhamadullin-Simashev

Askarov
Nabokov
Zherenko

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
this makes a lot of sense. What brilliance
McD doubled barkov.in points in the playoffs but is apparently inferior to him because the other 20 guys on the ice don't count. You can only compare 1Cs after the 20 to 30 playoff games are done.

It is good for Canada though. Now that we've established Finland is better ... No Matthews, Eichel, Swayman, fox, Hughes in the finals at all. Eknkad won the cup so their is Canada's 1D. Simple math.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
McD doubled barkov.in points in the playoffs but is apparently inferior to him because the other 20 guys on the ice don't count. You can only compare 1Cs after the 20 to 30 playoff games are done.

It is good for Canada though. Now that we've established Finland is better ... No Matthews, Eichel, Swayman, fox, Hughes in the finals at all. Eknkad won the cup so their is Canada's 1D. Simple math.
We are all frothing at the mouth in anticipation of seeing that Ekblad- Barkov showdown in the finals.

Clash of the titans!!

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Why would you be scared of Canada today, say compared to 2014? You don't see a big drop off?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Why would you be scared of Canada today, say compared to 2014? You don't see a big drop off?
because they are Canada that's why..................and no further explanation is required there.

You wanna talk about drop offs? You should be scared of Finlands results ....................Finland hasn't won a freaking medal at any tournament in 2 years. They've been getting bounced with ease each time.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Why would you be scared of Canada today, say compared to 2014? You don't see a big drop off
I'm obviously a Czech fan ... But I'll give it a go:

Makar, McD and MacK. As good a trio as you will find. Then you get Crosby and Bedard to book end talent.

Canada hasn't lost a best on best on a long time.

This most recent draft saw more Canucks go then US, Finals and Sweden combined.

Back to back 1OVs?

Only Canada flaw is no elite goalie that scares people like price did or a Russian goalie would.

Of course they can lose. We have a fake best on best coming up... Then a real one. I'd bet good money they get at least one gold...

Probably world cup since 2026 Olympics is going to the Czechs.lol

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
because they are Canada that's why..................and no further explanation is required there.

You wanna talk about drop offs? You should be scared of Finlands results ....................Finland hasn't won a freaking medal at any tournament in 2 years. They've been getting bounced with ease each time.

I will say . The only thing I care about in this no Czech tourney coming up is Finland.

They have yet to get a crack at a best on best with this new generation of talent. I want to see them altogether. Saros, heisk and barkov is a nice start.

They will be a massive pain in the ass in an elimination game.

That and McD on same team as Crosby

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I will say . The only thing I care about in this no Czech tourney coming up is Finland.

They have yet to get a crack at a best on best with this new generation of talent. I want to see them altogether. Saros, heisk and barkov is a nice start.

They will be a massive pain in the ass in an elimination game.

That and McD on same team as Crosby
They will be a good team for sure, no one will be surprised if they win it I don't think. I'm interested in seeing their team with is generation of talent playing together too.

There are stronger rosters from other teams though, but hey................they have the captain from the Stanley cup winning team, we all know in hockey that one player dictates who is ultimately going to win.

We can pencil them in for gold now I guess.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I'm obviously a Czech fan ... But I'll give it a go:

Makar, McD and MacK. As good a trio as you will find. Then you get Crosby and Bedard to book end talent.

Canada hasn't lost a best on best on a long time.

This most recent draft saw more Canucks go then US, Finals and Sweden combined.

Back to back 1OVs?

Only Canada flaw is no elite goalie that scares people like price did or a Russian goalie would.

Of course they can lose. We have a fake best on best coming up... Then a real one. I'd bet good money they get at least one gold...

Probably world cup since 2026 Olympics is going to the Czechs.lol
That's fine. I want Canada to be complacent anyway :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad