Line Combos: Your 2024-2025 D pairings are?

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
The roster thread started featuring pairings I'd never once considered possible. Between Charlie, Hampus, Lohrei, Peeker, Carlo and Zaddy, we know our 6.

So how are you deploying them, and/or how will Monty?

I personally think coach likes Hampus-Carlo too much to break up (as THE shutdown pairing). So we're probably just debating if it's Lohrei-Charlie or Zadarov-Charlie, right?

Wonder which is better for Lohrei's development.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Lohrei-McAvoy
Hampus-Carlo
Zadorov-Peeke

I think Lohrei gets the most development with Charlie. Everything subject to change based on performance/injury. I agree that the second pair is pretty locked in, so you could see Zadorov and Lohrei flip, especially if you're protecting a one goal lead late.

I will say one thing though: Get McAvoy off the damn PP. Let Lohrei run that shit, he's the QB going forward. Save Charlie's minutes for 5-on-5 and PK duty.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Simple:

Zaddy---Mac
OG-Lindholm-- 25
Lohrei-- Peeke

Forbort couldn't pair with McAvoy because he couldn't handle the extra pressure. Zadorov (as seen in the playoffs) loves the extra pressure and skates much, much better than Forbort too.

*Lohrei is a rookie. You keep those guys on the 3rd pairing as long as you can. In a few years, Lohrei will likely be top LD pairing. Not yet.

Reactions: PlayMakers

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
i wanna see hampus and carlo get separated for a good chunk of time. maybe that'll jumpstart 27s season

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Zadorov - #73
27-25
Wotherspoon Peeke
Oesterle
Obviously not a Lohrei fan, hey?

I think we’ll see all three LD/RD combos as a standard practice. Personally I think Zadorov fits best with Carlo and Lindholm with McAvoy, but it’s already been mentioned that the plan is Zadorov on the top pair. I’m just skeptical as to the longevity of that working.

Plus, I’d rather have the team’s two biggest hitters playing at separate times, having one or the other on the ice for 40 minutes rather than 20 together.

I suspect Lohrei will have his ups and downs and can switch off with Wotherspoon when the need or matchup arises. It’s gonna be a lot of fun watching his progress.

Lindholm was magnificent in his first season in Boston and merely meh last year. I’m hoping the presence of Zadorov will help him get to 80% of Year One.

And Peeke who I thought of very highly with the Jackets? Well I hope he shows some of that game this season. Steady Eddie isn’t what he was brought in to be IMO. Guy can move a lot better than Forbort, do everything Forbort did PLUS he can throw the body and move the puck better. If he can get comfortable and confident, I see him as a guy who can push for top four minutes. If he plays like we saw him in limited action? Honestly I’d prefer Wotherspoon, even if it is on his off-side.

Last thought… I thought I read something recently about the team lacking a blueline coach? Can someone refresh my memory here?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruins4Lifer

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I think Coach+Management is going to want to keep Carlo and Lindholm together as the pair that does all the heavy defensive lifting 5 on 5.

That means its either Zadorov or Lohrei paired with McAvoy. I'd prefer Zadorov with McAvoy to start. See what kind of chemistry they can build through the season.

Lohrei with Peeke seems to be 2 players that compliment each others weaknesses. And it should allow Lohrei to experiment offensively a bit when they have home ice and can put him against other teams 3rd/4th lines.

Reactions: shoulders7

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I see the group as the right side is set in stone in terms of top pair (McAvoy), 2nd pair (Carlo) 3rd pair (Peeke).

I think the left-side as fluid. Not just game-to-game, but within the game itself. Lohrei is the strongest offensive player and puck carrier of the left-shot group. Zadorov is your big hard-to-play-against defensive D, and Lindholm is your all-arounder and the happy medium between the other two.

If you are down by a goal in the final 10 mins, are you rolling Zadorov or Lohrei next to McAvoy? I'm using Lohrei.

Up a goal to protect a lead, it's Zadorov.

Tie game late in the 3rd, maybe it's Lindholm next to McAvoy.

It's the left-side that gives the coaching staff tons of flexibility depending on the situation. I'm confident with any of the 3 on the top pair.

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017

I think we’ll see all three LD/RD as a standard practice. Personally I think Zadorov fits best with Carlo and Lindholm with McAvoy, but it’s already been mentioned that the plan is Zadorov on the top pair. I’m just skeptical as to the longevity of that working.

Plus, I’d rather have the team’s two biggest hitters playing at separate times, having one or the other on the ice for 40 minutes rather than 20 together.

I suspect Lohrei will have his ups and downs and can switch off with Wotherspoon when the need or matchup arises. It’s gonna be a lot of fun watching his progress.

Lindholm was magnificent in his first season in Boston and merely meh last year. I’m hoping the presence of Zadorov will help him get to 80% of Year One.

And Peeke who I thought of very highly with the Jackets? Well I hope he shows some of that game this season. Steady Eddie isn’t what he was brought in to be IMO. Guy can move a lot better than Forbort, do everything Forbort did PLUS he can throw the body and move the puck better. If he can get comfortable and confident, I see him as a guy who can push for top four minutes. If he plays like we saw him in limited action? Honestly I’d prefer Wotherspoon, even if it is on his off-side.

Last thought… I thought I read something recently about the team lacking a blueline coach? Can someone refresh my memory here?
i believe jay leech will work with the defense this year.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I think we’ll see all three LD/RD as a standard practice. Personally I think Zadorov fits best with Carlo and Lindholm with McAvoy, but it’s already been mentioned that the plan is Zadorov on the top pair. I’m just skeptical as to the longevity of that working.

Not sure of all the assistants' particular duties, but Kevin Dean was the last formally named defense coach I remember and Bruce fired him right before he got fired himself. I'm pretty sure John Gruden who came in with Monty was handling defensive duties, but left after a year. John McLean was on staff last year and played defense, but I don't recall hearing much of anything about his role, and he got reassigned to another position this year. I'm pretty sure Jay Leach will be the one coaching up the D this year, but not sure.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Simple:

Zaddy---Mac
OG-Lindholm-- 25
Lohrei-- Peeke

Forbort couldn't pair with McAvoy because he couldn't handle the extra pressure. Zadorov (as seen in the playoffs) loves the extra pressure and skates much, much better than Forbort too.

*Lohrei is a rookie. You keep those guys on the 3rd pairing as long as you can. In a few years, Lohrei will likely be top LD pairing. Not yet.
This is the way

Z gives McAvoy wings

Peeke plays backstop so Lorhei can learn through mistakes and taking chances

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Not sure of all the assistants' particular duties, but Kevin Dean was the last formally named defense coach I remember and Bruce fired him right before he got fired himself. I'm pretty sure John Gruden who came in with Monty was handling defensive duties, but left after a year. John McLean was on staff last year and played defense, but I don't recall hearing much of anything about his role, and he got reassigned to another position this year. I'm pretty sure Jay Leach will be the one coaching up the D this year, but not sure.
Correct

John Gruden was and he left before last season to join the Leafs org.

They had McLean last season but he is more a development coach and he was upstairs every game, not on the bench.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
i believe jay leech will work with the defense this year.

Correct

John Gruden was and he left before last season to join the Leafs org.

They had McLean last season but he is more a development coach and he was upstairs every game, not on the bench.
My opinion?

This is the most underrated addition of the offseason. Absolutely phenomenal news.

Reactions: Raleighfern

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Feel pretty confident they will stick with left shots paired with right shots. And with that, we'll see all the different possible pairings from that at some point.

My thoughts are you let the most aggressive d-men (McAvoy, Zadorov, Lohrei) play as free as they can with a dependable partner. With that in mind, I think pairing Lindholm with McAvoy makes the most sense there.

Lindholm-McAvoy
Zadorov-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke

Reactions: BruinDust

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Thoughts on the Bruins Defense:

Zadorov: Watching video of him, he might be a better skater than Zdeno Chara? These Russian players really learn skating fundamentals as kids and they usually are above average skaters. Seems like Zad’s issue is positioning and playing within the system. Sometimes he likes to go for the big hit. That’s ok, once in a while and it is intimidating. He can play up with Charlie or lower in the pairings. He replaces Forbort’s size and then some. He’s 6’6” and 248. Seems a little too heavy ? I think he’d be even quicker at around 240. But man, he is a thick dude! So maybe that is not realistic? Scary! What a presence.

Lohrei: I love this kid. He’s got skill and size. Maybe he (and Carlo) will develop additional snarl as they watch Zad punish forwards in front of the Bruins net. I think Mason is adding some weight and strength this off-season. He got a taste of the physicality in the playoffs. He’s going to be a beast once he fills out and develops his man strength! He played great in the playoffs! On the uptrend!

Basically, you can rotate Zad and Mason with Charlie all season long. Mason when the Bruins are trailing and Zad when they have a lead. One thing I love about what Sweeney has done with the defense, is the obvious increase in size. No more Gryz! I think the Vegas D last season (size wise) was the template for dethroning the Panthers:

Vegas 2023:
Hague 6’6” 230
Martinez 6’1” 21
McNabb 6’4” 215
Pietrangelo 6’3” 215
Theodore 6’2” 197
Whitecloud 6’2” 207

BRUINS 2024:
Carlo 6’5” 217
Lindholm 6’4” 224
Lohrei 6’5” 211
Zadorov 6’6” 248
McAvoy 6’1” 209
Peeke 6’3” 214

Looks like Sweeney gave up on the “small” lineup? Players with size must be good skaters in the NHL. Seems like everyone is a good skater, although Lindholm has slowed a little bit. Maybe his load will be lighter with the addition of Zad? Lohrei will be bigger, probably 215 this year. This is a formidable defense. Zad is going to add attitude and snarl. Yes, the Bruins did not find their 2 RW yet, but the defense is much deeper! Forwards must tread carefully in front of Swayman.

Reactions: BruinDust

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I think Coach+Management is going to want to keep Carlo and Lindholm together as the pair that does all the heavy defensive lifting 5 on 5.

That means its either Zadorov or Lohrei paired with McAvoy. I'd prefer Zadorov with McAvoy to start. See what kind of chemistry they can build through the season.

Lohrei with Peeke seems to be 2 players that compliment each others weaknesses. And it should allow Lohrei to experiment offensively a bit when they have home ice and can put him against other teams 3rd/4th lines.
Maybe I’m missing something but that’s not how both Lindholm and Sweeney left me feeling after their pressers post end of season/off season. Both seemed very much on the same page of wanting to get Lindholm (Sweeney didn’t say Lindholm specifically but kind of felt hinted at) involved more so in offensive starts and situations.

I think it’s more likely we see Zadorov with Carlo to do the heavy defensive lifting you described above.

At the end of the day- Jimbo will have the same pairs for two seconds before he swaps them. I think that’s the real beauty of the Zadorov acquisition and just this d core as a whole: flexibility.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Maybe I’m missing something but that’s not how both Lindholm and Sweeney left me feeling after their pressers post end of season/off season. Both seemed very much on the same page of wanting to get Lindholm (Sweeney didn’t say Lindholm specifically but kind of felt hinted at) involved more so in offensive starts and situations.

I think it’s more likely we see Zadorov with Carlo to do the heavy defensive lifting you described above.

At the end of the day- Jimbo will have the same pairs for two seconds before he swaps them. I think that’s the real beauty of the Zadorov acquisition and just this d core as a whole: flexibility.
While the manner in which Zadorov breaks out pucks is a bit different from Grzelcyk’s, the end result is the same — with Boston moving the biscuit in a hurry, and McAvoy freed up to be far more assertive down the other end of the ice.

“Z’s exits are good … finding middle ice, which is something Monty likes to do. So it’s first pass ability, I think complements,” Sweeney said. “Charlie gets a lot of focus on the forecheck and takes some physical hits as a result of that.

“I think you can maybe keep some of those flies off at times and also complement in a puck-moving standpoint. So the two guys can cover a lot of ice and play in matchups in any way, on the road or not.”

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

I think we’ll see all three LD/RD combos as a standard practice. Personally I think Zadorov fits best with Carlo and Lindholm with McAvoy, but it’s already been mentioned that the plan is Zadorov on the top pair. I’m just skeptical as to the longevity of that working.

Why did you jetison Lohrei? He is a fine lad.

Meant Lohrei for certain.

Why did you jetison Lohrei? He is a fine lad.
Inadvertently deleted him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad