GDT: Young Stars Tournament - Game 2 - Winnipeg Jets vs Vancouver Canucks - Sunday, September 15th - 4:00 PM CDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Barlow seems amazingly slow for this level of play. I'm starting to worry about this pick.

Yup, he can't keep up and he can't win battles. He'll never make it if all he can do is shoot the puck. The kid really needs a focus a lot on the little things this year. He needs to get his positioning and forechecking down. For such a big guy he's pretty awful on the forecheck and isn't very good on the wall.

And next offseason he needs to hire a skating coach.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
He was pretty unnoticeable in this tournament last year as well aside from his shootout goal.
I get it people want to see him succeed especially as a first round pick but he isn't ready, probably not ready next year, maybe never. I'm more interested in players on the cusp like Lambert and Chibrikov.

Reactions: Skidooboy

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Judging by the way these guys dominated then got cocky and collapsed and gave up...I'd say they are all ready to be Jets...

After two games
1..lambert
2. Julien
3. Chib
4. Yager
5. Salo - I'm being generous

Everything else is scrap

Swapped he for yager because I think he prob benefitted from lambert
I agree to some extent but what the hell is Ben King doing playing with Lambert in a competitive game, his turnovers just killed the play, where last game Barlow's lost puck battles killed the momentum...One guy is an AHL rookie of the year, the other is an ECHL callup. If you want a RH shot, well Levis scored a goal last game.

Honestly I hope they put Lambert and Chibrikov together, because Yager and Chibrikov have 0 chemistry out there.

I liked seeing Julien in the middle, to get a sense of what he can do. Walton didn't impress this game as a C. The Loponen kid looks like he could be a checking line player down the road. Torgersson and Zhilkin are two guys who looked sharp in game 1, hopefully they look sharp in game 3.

The defense looks like they need some work. Is Dubois coaching them?

Reactions: WolfHouse

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lambert absolutely needs to be given a legit shot in camp. The team is not so deep the organization needs to worry about a few rookie mistakes when we need to inject some speed and skill into the lineup.
I'm confident he'll make it this year. But not centering Perfetti and Ehlers, if Lambert is the toughest player on the line, look for trouble, like shoulder injuries. Need a digger to step up there.

I think the Jets could have something with Heinola and Lambert running the top of PP2, I am waiting to see that next.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I agree to some extent but what the hell is Ben King doing playing with Lambert in a competitive game, his turnovers just killed the play, where last game Barlow's lost puck battles killed the momentum...One guy is an AHL rookie of the year, the other is an ECHL callup. If you want a RH shot, well Levis scored a goal last game.

Honestly I hope they put Lambert and Chibrikov together, because Yager and Chibrikov have 0 chemistry out there.

I liked seeing Julien in the middle, to get a sense of what he can do. Walton didn't impress this game as a C. The Loponen kid looks like he could be a checking line player down the road. Torgersson and Zhilkin are two guys who looked sharp in game 1, hopefully they look sharp in game 3.

The defense looks like they need some work. Is Dubois coaching them?
100% on this post

I don't see the benefit of tnse 'fairness'- there's one player with the chance of making the team - use this tournament to build his confidence and surround him with the best players before tc

Thought Levis and chib would be stapled to him for the 3 games

95% of the other guys might be nhl 4th liners... and we are great at finding them haha

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Lambert, Chibrikov, Anhorn look pro-ready
Yager looks good but needs some seasoning
Salomonsson and Barlow look disappointing for their pedigree and hype
I've got just the thing...

Jets Seasoning.jpg

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Yup, he can't keep up and he can't win battles. He'll never make it if all he can do is shoot the puck. The kid really needs a focus a lot on the little things this year. He needs to get his positioning and forechecking down. For such a big guy he's pretty awful on the forecheck and isn't very good on the wall.

And next offseason he needs to hire a skating coach.
should have done that this past off season

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Lambert, Chibrikov, Anhorn look pro-ready
Yager looks good but needs some seasoning
Salomonsson and Barlow look disappointing for their pedigree and hype
Interesting that Anhorn is 25 and has never played pro hockey. Not sure what to think of him.

Reactions: Jet

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
The Chibrikov goal looked very Kyle Connoresque.

That was a great shot from a tricky position. He showed he could snipe with the Moose but not sure I've seen him pull off the Kentucky Fried Special before.

He can and will play better overall, as will the other top prospects, but I expect players like he and Lambert to take things easier in these games. IMO they're there to provide some veteran experience and scoring support, not to show off skillsets management is well aware of.

Have liked Double J throughout, and Yager comes just as advertised, he really does seem to be a late Littlesque player at times, patient and smart with the puck, good vision, does a lot of the small stuff well.

The D has been pretty flimsy. Hopefully we see a bit more structure consistently in the final game.

Ben King sounds like a 70s US department store. Pretty effective play-snuffer at this level.

Reactions: TS Quint

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Interesting that Anhorn is 25 and has never played pro hockey. Not sure what to think of him.
Yeah I think there has to be a bit of 'adult' factored into his performance. His play seems pretty mature.

Lambert needs to be more careful out there. He got clobbered a few times and that's going to translate into injuries at the next level.

I love the peskiness, compete and pest component to Chibrikovs game.

Reactions: Jets 31

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Saw 2 of 3 periods yesterday and can agree that Barlow looks somewhat underwhelming. Yager easily looked better as did Julien. Have you realized how many faceoffs Yager won? I could swear I only saw him lose two in the entirety of first and second period.

It's crazy how easily you can spot Walton and how interesting it is observing him play. When that guy is somewhere in the middle of the ice and the puck is near him, he will get His stick on it. Not saying he will pick a pocket or pokecheck but he Most likely will be able to somewhat interfere the puck carrier. He's like Tyler Myers but as a forward! Fascinating!

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
These early games are interesting but it is difficult to put stock in much. I would assume that the system being played is either entirely or loosely the system the Moose & Jets deploy, so therefore Lambo, Chib, Zhilkin, Kuzmin, Torg etc all have a basic understanding so it isnt shocking that they have stood out in various ways. Ben King has AHL experience so it is probably easiest for him to adapt. The others, like Barlow, Salo, Julien, Levis, He, etc are adapting and have flashes of what they can do, but the system needs adapting. So some clumsy and/or disorganized play isnt shocking either

The interesting one in Yager. Seems like a coashes dream and appears to adapt more easy to a new system and this is a very intriguing sign. May be more pro ready than some think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad