Confirmed with Link: Young Stars Classic Tournament | Friday, September 13th to 16th in Penticton

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm pretty sure that was purely a Brian Burke hissy fit when he was with Calgary.
Not sure why other NHL teams out-west would have anything but support for the Young-Stars tournament.

After all, I'm assuming the Canucks staff and the City of Penticton do all the heavy-lifting to make this tournament happen every September. It has to be a big undertaking, arranging accommodations; promotion and ticket sales; and a supreme venue in terms of a pro-style NHL rink.

All the rest of the squads have to do is show up. Every year this tournament is the first real test of a team's prospect pool. Still remember the game where Virtanen blew up McDavid with a thunderous body-check......one of the few highlights of his Canuck career.

Reactions: Lindgren

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not sure why other NHL teams out-west would have anything but support for the Young-Stars tournament.

After all, I'm assuming the Canucks staff and the City of Penticton do all the heavy-lifting to make this tournament happen every September. It has to be a big undertaking, arranging accommodations; promotion and ticket sales; and a supreme venue in terms of a pro-style NHL rink.

All the rest of the squads have to do is show up. Every year this tournament is the first real test of a team's prospect pool. Still remember the game where Virtanen blew up McDavid with a thunderous body-check......one of the few highlights of his Canuck career.

I think a lot of it was driven by spite from Burke, to be honest. (And I like Burke)

But yeah, this tournament has been a lot of fun to watch and for all the involved prospects to participate in for years.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia

The Okanagan is also a very appealing place for young hockey players. The weather will still be nice enough in early September for them to get some last minute boating, golfing and partying before they get down to business.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think a lot of it was driven by spite from Burke, to be honest. (And I like Burke)

But yeah, this tournament has been a lot of fun to watch and for all the involved prospects to participate in for years.

I find it amazing that Burke is still viewed as a sympathetic figure in this market instead of a villain given the enormous pile of anti-Canucks stuff he's done since 2008 and the amount of shit he's caused this franchise.

- tampering with the Sedins
- leaking damaging trade rumours involving the Canucks
- leading the charge for recapture penalties, again specifically targeting the Canucks
- getting involved in the Aaron Rome suspension to screw us over in the 2011 playoffs
- screwing up the prospects tourney because he didn't want it in BC

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I find it amazing that Burke is still viewed as a sympathetic figure in this market instead of a villain given the enormous pile of anti-Canucks stuff he's done since 2008 and the amount of shit he's caused this franchise.

- tampering with the Sedins
- leaking damaging trade rumours involving the Canucks
- leading the charge for recapture penalties, again specifically targeting the Canucks
- getting involved in the Aaron Rome suspension to screw us over in the 2011 playoffs
- screwing up the prospects tourney because he didn't want it in BC

I am aware of all the things he's done - and there was also plenty during his tenure with the team, as GM and in other roles, that weren't great. I still think he played a big part in the resurgence of this franchise after the dreadful late 90s, and brought respect back to the brand. He also the acquisition of some of the greatest players in team history. And his advocacy for the 2SLGBTQIA+ community is something that resonates with me, too. Maybe calling it a "mixed bag" would be more appropriate.

Reactions: supercanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I am aware of all the things he's done - and there was also plenty during his tenure with the team, as GM and in other roles, that weren't great. I still think he played a big part in the resurgence of this franchise after the dreadful late 90s, and brought respect back to the brand. He also the acquisition of some of the greatest players in team history. And his advocacy for the 2SLGBTQIA+ community is something that resonates with me, too. Maybe calling it a "mixed bag" would be more appropriate.

He had a solid-but-flawed run as GM here and when he left in 2004 I had a slightly positive view on him overall but every last iota of goodwill disappeared when he conspired to screw us over in 2011. This was the team and the city and the fanbase that basically gave him his career and he absolutely f***ed us over, and f*** that guy forever. Judas.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
One of the guys I'll be intrigued to see at the Young-Stars tournament is Vilmer Arliksson. He comes in at #11 on the Canucks Army list of the top-20 prospects.

He's 6'6" and now up to 237 pounds. The thing is, he's not just some 'knuckle-dragger' or 'crash and banger' with limited skill. In fact looking at some of his YouTube clips, the kid is a better-than-average skater, who actually looks to have some serious separation speed through the neutral zone.

Obviously in the corners, he's able to impose his will on junior age players. And the physicality will be far tougher in pro hockey.

But if he has a big year in Guelph as a 19-year old, it seems pretty obvious that he'll get a ELC out of the Canucks. And if you're unabashed Canuck optimist, maybe the they have another Aleksey Toropchenko on their hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad