Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic Tournament | Canucks go 3-0 at Young Stars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

And I don't get the beat-down on Riley Pattersson.
Don’t need to overreact

Managed to catch most of this tournament in/around camping. Every year I'm more and more of the opinion that this tournament is kind of a waste of time and a vehicle for bad takes, other than getting some general impressions of guys you aren't familiar with, and that's doubly the case this year with so many guys there who were really too old for this and shouldn't have been there.

Not even going to discuss any of the Abbotsford guys who I've seen play 50-100 times. When you've seen guys play a ton in actual games against real competition making any real adjustments to your opinion based on what's essentially a September scrimmage against teenagers is a folly. Only comment I'll really make is how often Klimovich *still* makes blind guess-passes and egregious puck management errors after 3 years of AHL coaching. Guy is dumb as rocks.

Of the 2024 draftees :

- people are complimenting Riley Patterson's skating but I thought his stop/starts, turns, and general agility were really lumbering and poor. Didn't give me a very positive first impression overall.

- Romani can't skate but the high-end pucks skills are obvious. Was certainly one of the most dangerous U20 players in the tournament for any team. But yeah, the skating needs massive work.

- Alcos showed well relative to his draft position and very young age. Kept it simple, looked fairly mobile and competent.

- Sansonnens looked like a total coke machine.

Generally speaking not really a good group of skaters that we picked in this draft, especially given that Fernstrom's biggest weakness is his skating as well.

- EP2 is big, mean, skates pretty well, and has serviceable puck skills and other than Lekkerimaki was obviously the best prospect there other than the AHL vets. Will need 100 AHL games but you can see where a Kaedan Korczak-type development curve is very reasonable.

- Lekkerimaki skated better than in Abbotsford and his puck skills and shot were obviously at another level relative to this tournament. But he still looks so small and weak. Very curious to see how he goes in actual NHL preseason games.

- Mynio's footwork is ++ but like Lekkerimaki he looked small/weak even playing against kids. But his skating did stand out positively.

- I've never been wowed by Kudryatsev. I don't see it. Sloppy set of games from a guy whose calling card is supposed to be reliability. Struggled defending speed on the rush.

- Alriksson was noticeable and got some points but to me he just kinda looks like Nathan Rempe without the fighting. Very awkward-looking player.

- Mueller was quite vanilla and disappointing for a player of his age/pedigree. Should have been the sort to stand out.

- Felton was solid and flashed a bit more skill than you'd expect from his point totals, but also was obviously old for the tournament. Also looked a bit shorter/smaller than listed.
Hoping Lekk and Mynio can get a bit stronger without sacrificing strength.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Don’t need to overreact

Hoping Lekk and Mynio can get a bit stronger without sacrificing strength.
Usually when you get stronger you don’t sacrifice strength ;)

Also, I believe Mynio weighed in at 165 pounds or even less at last summers combine…I’d expect his speed/skating to improve when his legs gets stronger.

On a 6’1” frame he should be able to put on 20-30 pounds and it should help his game a lot.
It might take 3-4+ years though.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Usually when you get stronger you don’t sacrifice strength ;)

Also, I believe Mynio weighed in at 165 pounds or even less at last summers combine…I’d expect his speed/skating to improve when his legs gets stronger.

On a 6’1” frame he should be able to put on 20-30 pounds and it should help his game a lot.
It might take 3-4+ years though.
Drinking and texting

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Granted it was only a brief snapshot last year in Abbotsford, but Lekkerimaki and Mynio seemed to handle the heavy, physical play in the AHL just fine.

Actually it was Lekkerimaki who surprised me the most. His battle-level along the wall was solid, and he often used body position and a quick stick to exit with the puck. Does he need to get stronger? Sure. But you could say the same thing about any kid who just turned '20' in July.

Rutherford claims that Lekkerimaki has a shot at training camp. And I don't think he's just blowing smoke. Now with Joshua out for awhile there could be an opening for a scoring winger. One thing is for certain, they're going to give Lekkerimaki a ton of ice-time in the exhibition schedule to see where he's at.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Granted it was only a brief snapshot last year in Abbotsford, but Lekkerimaki and Mynio seemed to handle the heavy, physical play in the AHL just fine.

Actually it was Lekkerimaki who surprised me the most. His battle-level along the wall was solid, and he often used body position and a quick stick to exit with the puck. Does he need to get stronger? Sure. But you could say the same thing about any kid who just turned '20' in July.

Rutherford claims that Lekkerimaki has a shot at training camp. And I don't think he's just blowing smoke. Now with Joshua out for awhile there could be an opening for a scoring winger. One thing is for certain, they're going to give Lekkerimaki a ton of ice-time in the exhibition schedule to see where he's at.

My impressions of Lekkerimaki in the AHL last year were literally the exact opposite of this - he looked as small/timid/overwhelmed as a player could possibly be with the step up in levels and physicality. His last couple games were better than the first couple but the first couple in particular were very weak.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
So many player reviews for these tourneys are pure barf...just conjecture and hockey words mixed with doomsaying. Pretty funny actually.

Hmm...a mix of players of different ages, backgrounds, goals, deficiencies that will be hoping for different roles across multiple leagues aren't looking cohesive? Shit...I hope they think of that for next year... 🤔

This tournament is a MEET AND GREET for our non-NHL players...that's it. Hey boys get to know each other in a nice town and in a fun but professional environment. See yah next week and try not to do anything stupid.

A big part of me wishes that it wasn't even covered but that would reduce Penticon's tourism draw etc.

Keep in mind that the majority of these players are simply coming off their own off-season and are just finding their legs again. Watch the team not the players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see Arliksson was picked as one of the top-15 players at prospects tournaments around the NHL. And I also note Tocchet is really excited about this guy, when he was asked to give his take on the Penticton Young-Stars tournament.

He should be a fun guy to follow with Guelph in the OHL this season.....and if he lights it up, I wonder if he gets any consideration for Sweden's World Junior Hockey team? But he may have hurt his chances by leaving his homeland to come to NA to play.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad