You Get Only One (Cup/Medal/Hart/HHoF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which would you prefer?

• Hart/Norris/Vezina Trophy

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Stanley Cup Ring

Votes: 156 62.7%
  • Olympic Gold Medal

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Hall of Fame Inductee

Votes: 69 27.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Dude, this aint a disney movie. Take the cash.

You do know that it's common for players to get bonuses in their contracts for winning the Cup, plus each player on this year's winning team got $284,000 in prize money.

So it's not like the "winning the Cup" option means you'll be broke and drinking bargain bin beer at an AirBnB cottage with your buds.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
This is a pretty unfair poll. I'll start by saying the Olympics don't really belong. A random tournament every 4 years where realistically only 2-3 teams have a shot at winning and some of the best players in the world arent even there? Yawn. Best on best my ass, the NHL is best on best. Full stop.

A cup without the other accolades means you probably were a mid-range top 6 forward at best, or a 15th forward at worst.

A Hart trophy without the rest is what.. a Jamie Benn/Taylor Hall type? Even those guys probably can make a case for the HOF.

And a HHOF inductee with an empty trophy is.. Patrick Marleau?

I dunno, I'd need more info from the OP but this poll doesn't make a lot of sense as is

• Haha
Reactions: OKR

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's been discussed to death but for me I think it depends on what kind of player I am. If it's between being a fourth liner and one time cup winner making near league minimum, even if I had a long career as a that kind of depth guy, I'd choose the hall of fame career. Now, second liner making some 5-6 million a year? Easy choice to take the cup and forego the HOF career.

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
Being part of a Cup winning team is fun I'm sure, but even besides the money I'd be wayyy more proud of an individual HoF career as an accomplishment than a Cup. I guarantee you guys like Pavel Bure and Jarome Iginla are way more highly regarded, both within the hockey bubble and outside of it based on their individual accomplishments than a random 4th liner with a Cup lol.

It's all about a Cup is just a romantic story line sold you by the NHL and media.

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I'm surprised how many say cup.

I'd rather have Marcel Dionne's career than Brad Lukowich.

I'll say HOF because it means you were truly elite (although there's some questionable exceptions lately) but means you were clearly very successful in your career and also means you almost certainly made a lot of money which matters a lot let's face it.

A HOF career without a cup really stings though, no doubt about it but I don't think Dionne or Sundin or Roenick trade their careers for John Madden.
Lukowich probably ended up making more than Dionne by the end of it, ironically.

John Madden absolutely did

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
it basically seals the deal on generational wealth and high level status, it means you will (lets be honest) have your pick of any kind of partner you could dream of.

You're at the top of the dating food chain, beautiful women will effectively be fighting to get your attention in every city you fly into
. That's how it goes for pro sports athletes who are big ticket players and have the bank account to back it up. Any concerns you have about that area in life are basically taken care of for you as you have options the normal male could only dream of.

Again, you win the actual game of life, which is more important than any made up game.
You don't currently have babes fighting over you already? Bro.. you're doing something wrong

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
wrong. your answer is not even close. You take the choice that gives you the most career money which is a major award or a HOF career. Like someone said earlier real life is not a Disney or Hallmark movie

Bro ive lived poor and loaded and I’m still relatively young at 36. Don’t tell me how to think, money doesn’t solve life problems your means just change. I’d prefer to be immortalized on the Stanley cup and bring that home to my home town. We have different opinions. Wonder how many rich ex athletes get to the bottom of the bottle daily thinking of how they could of done things differently to see theirs life work end in a championship.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Only if you die young, otherwise you'll see the ring containing your name retired before you do.
Just my opinion man, everyone has different life situations which def makes people to lean in different directions, irregardless, everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. Dying young would definitely suck, don’t wish that on anyone.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If we’re talking 500k net, then yeah that’s not enough. 2M net would be plenty.

Keep in mind my dream is to own an off the grid farm in bumf*** nowhere. 😂
All depends on lifestyle, I think about myself who’s made around that at just under 40 years old. No way could I live off of just a 2M career without working after. It’s not nearly enough, would need minimum 4-5M to have a comfortable life

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
This is a pretty unfair poll. I'll start by saying the Olympics don't really belong. A random tournament every 4 years where realistically only 2-3 teams have a shot at winning and some of the best players in the world arent even there? Yawn. Best on best my ass, the NHL is best on best. Full stop.

A cup without the other accolades means you probably were a mid-range top 6 forward at best, or a 15th forward at worst.

A Hart trophy without the rest is what.. a Jamie Benn/Taylor Hall type? Even those guys probably can make a case for the HOF.

And a HHOF inductee with an empty trophy is.. Patrick Marleau?

I dunno, I'd need more info from the OP but this poll doesn't make a lot of sense as is
There is certain number of players who should be considered better than "mid-range top-6 forward" at their primes but nowhere near Hart/HHOF conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad