You Get Only One (Cup/Medal/Hart/HHoF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which would you prefer?

• Hart/Norris/Vezina Trophy

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Stanley Cup Ring

Votes: 156 62.7%
  • Olympic Gold Medal

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Hall of Fame Inductee

Votes: 69 27.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The point is even to players, they don't really actually want a Cup *that* bad, as in they want it so bad they can't live without it.

There's nothing stopping any superstar of today going to their team and saying "you know ... I can live comfortably on $5 mill/year, lets terminate my $10 mill contract and I'll resign for 1/2 or 1/3 my current salary so we have the best chance possible of winning a Cup".

No one would do that in the league. They're all free to do it, no one actually would though.
They actually have rules preventing players from doing this, The evidence of players trying to win a Cup is everywhere, literally ever season you see it. Players using NMC to go where they want.

Why do players take less every offseason to sign with what are perceived to be good teams instead of taking more money to play on rebuilders?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You might also notice that players aren't always jumping ship chasing the biggest payday. So, it's not only about money for them.

And, the NHLPA would probably take issue with their highest paid members cancelling their contracts, or taking less than market value, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the NHL owners would probably claim it's cap circumvention. So, yes, there are things stopping your scenario from happening.

Most fans don't understand the life style of a pro athlete to begin with. They can't imagine it because it's so far out of their frame of reference.

Just for starters, most of these guys are getting women that they would have zero/little chance of getting if they weren't a pro athlete and that comes with (lets be realistic) certain expectations of a certain kind of life style being met for them and their family/children, and that alone can burn through millions of dollars.

People acting like 2 mill is big money, lol, a lot of hockey players' vacation homes are more than 2 million dollars alone and that's insisted on by wifey. Shit, I'd bet the *land* value of some these guys' vacation properties is over 2 million easy, lol.

All these guys could easily sign for 1/2 their current salary and make it much easier for their teams to win a Cup, no one does that willingly. People here willing saying they'd lose 75 million out of 80 million just to parade a Cup around is bonkers, lol. No NHL star would agree to that deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogking65

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
As the title implies, you're an NHL player and have a choice of receiving one of these accolades, at the exclusion of all the others during your no doubt outstanding professional career.

For example, you're a forward and get in the HHOF but you never win the Cup, a gold medal or a Hart trophy.

For those of you from non-Olympic-level countries (say, Brazil? Australia?), well, take that into account however you wish. Maybe in your fantasy you get drafted by an American team and get to play for America?

So I guess to help the thread a little, some examples:

Olympic gold only/unlikely HHOF: Pavel Patera (low; 32 NHL GP), Frantisek Kucera (medium), Robert Lang/Robert Reichel (High)

Cup only/career earnings: Tom Kuhnhackel 3.3MM (Low), Belesky 26MM, Justin Schultz 47MM (High)

Hart/Norris/Vezina only/unlikely HHOF: Taylor Hall (Hart), Miikka Kiprusoff (Vezina)

HHOF only: Colin Campbell (?)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thought about it a little. Either HoF or Hart to guarantee highest career money. Voted Hart because that essentially guarantees I had a high-paid career in NHL
From an individual player (and aim towards earnings perspective), this. Both guarantee you likely had at least a modest stretch of earning a lot of money, while also being able to say you were a "good" player for a stretch of time.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
HOF inductee because to not win a major trophy and to get inducted into the HOF likely meant that I was consistently one of the best players in the league, just never quite the best.

Jun 15, 2007
Making the hof without a cup or a hart would mean I was one of the best players in the league for a very long time.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Most fans don't understand the life style of a pro athlete to begin with. They can't imagine it because it's so far out of their frame of reference.

Just for starters, most of these guys are getting women that they would have zero chance of getting if they weren't a pro athlete and that comes with (lets be realistic) certain expectations of a certain kind of life style being met for them and their family, and that alone can burn through millions of dollars.

People acting like 2 mill is big money, lol, a lot of hockey players' vacation homes are more than 2 million dollars alone and that's insisted on by wifey.

All these guys could easily sign for 1/2 their current salary and make it much easier for their teams to win a Cup, no one does that willingly.

Marrying a gold digger can be expensive, I'm sure, but it's not a requirement of being a professional athlete.

And, despite being more than enough for the average person to live on comfortably, $2m is pretty much irrelevant to the conversation at hand. League minimum is $750k, so unless you only play 3 years at the absolute minimum, win the Cup and retire, you've earned a lot more than that. And there's a lot of grey area between that guy and the HHOFers, so I'm not sure why we'd assume it's one extreme or the other.

And I'm pretty sure the NHLPA would have serious issues with a top player signing for half of market value. What would that do to everyone else's contracts going forward?

Reactions: I am not exposed

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Marrying a gold digger can be expensive, I'm sure, but it's not a requirement of being a professional athlete.

And, despite being more than enough for the average person to live on comfortably, $2m is pretty much irrelevant to the conversation at hand. League minimum is $750k, so unless you only play 3 years at the absolute minimum, win the Cup and retire, you've earned a lot more than that. And there's a lot of grey area between that guy and the HHOFers, so I'm not sure why we'd assume it's one extreme or the other.

And I'm pretty sure the NHLPA would have serious issues with a top player signing for half of market value. What would that do to everyone else's contracts going forward?

It's not a "gold digger" per se, it's more of a general social contract. You want to a marry "up", you better bring significant value to the table other than a toothless grin.

The children of NHL players also have a life style most people can't comprehend (full time nannies, multiple luxury vacations per year, multiple homes, etc. etc.). Gotta provide for your family.

NHLPA can't do shit, they represent the players interests, if the players interests were truly about winning a Cup *that* bad, players would take less. They don't because they're not stupid. It's not like "geez, I totally would sacrifice $50 million, but the NHLPA won't let me do it" ... like, lol that's not a thing. If a player wants to do that, there's nothing stopping them.

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
They actually have rules preventing players from doing this
What rule is there to prevent that? Every player is free to sign for league minimum if they so wish.
Once you factor in taxes and escrow, that 2m suddenly turns to less than 800k. And then you have to factor in NHL player lifestyle. There is some level of peer pressure at play there.

Sure, if you're smart about your money, a few years playing for league minimum can get you set for life. For a HoF career though, you will have enough money that you can afford a luxurious lifestyle for you and your family just from your stock return.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It's not a "gold digger" per se, it's more of a general social contract. You want to a marry "up", you better bring significant value to the table other than a toothless grin.

The children of NHL players also have a life style most people can't comprehend (full time nannies, multiple luxury vacations per year, multiple homes, etc. etc.). Gotta provide for your family.

NHLPA can't do shit, they represent the players interests, if the players interests were truly about winning a Cup *that* bad, players would take less. They don't because they're not stupid. It's not like "geez, I totally would sacrifice $50 million, but the NHLPA won't let me do it" ... like, lol that's not a thing. If a player wants to do that, there's nothing stopping them.

What if I want a wife who actually likes me for more than just my bank account? Is that still allowed? Or do all professional athletes need to have a "not a 'gold digger' per se" as a wife?

And the NHLPA represents the interests of ALL the players. And what's best for ALL the players is that pay reflects performance for everyone. A superstar giving up $50m doesn't just impact him, and likely decreases pay for everyone else long term. How does everyone getting paid less in the long term so that 20 of them can have a better chance of winning in the short term help everyone?

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What rule is there to prevent that? Every player is free to sign for league minimum if they so wish.
If you voluntarily void your contract I don't think you can sign with the original team. Plus you'd have to be put on waivers and if you're a HHOF level player, you're not clearing waivers.
Sure you "could" do it if you chose to but the NHLPA is going to be furious and will likely file a grievance about it.

Players sign contracts all time, they don't sign the one with the highest dollar value all the time.

You are also adding the implication that the Cup would be earned in a short NHL career, this isn't what OP says. You're adding context to pick the highest money.

You could be a 15 year NHL player but not good enough for the hall or to make an Olympic team or an individual trophy, but you'd make a decent amount of money and win a Cup.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
HHOF is obviously the highest accolade, and getting a Cup/ring is what everybody really guns for, but in terms of coolness factor having an Olympic gold medal would take the cake especially as its not like I'm a Canadian so winning hockey gold would be a huge upset and lionized for decades.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Once you factor in taxes and escrow, that 2m suddenly turns to less than 800k. And then you have to factor in NHL player lifestyle. There is some level of peer pressure at play there.

Sure, if you're smart about your money, a few years playing for league minimum can get you set for life. For a HoF career though, you will have enough money that you can afford a luxurious lifestyle for you and your family just from your stock return.

But you don't need to be a HoFer to earn enough to be able to afford a luxurious lifestyle from just your various investments. You just need to be a 2nd liner and stick around long enough to sign a big, stupid UFA contract with a desperate team. $7m/7y should allow you to invest $10m, which could conservatively return $400k per year for you and your family to live on. I think I could afford first class flights and vacations with that kind of money, especially if I'm still able to do some various speaking engagements and public appearances as a former Stanley Cup Champion to make ends meet.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
My heart says Olympic Gold or Stanley Cup, but my brain is saying HOF. HOF even without a major award or Cup still means a long and fantastic All star level career. You can win a Stanley Cup and not even score 5 career goals or play more than one season.

Olympic gold is different if we are assuming it is from a best on best tourney. Obviously only great players make those teams. Would have to have a pretty underwhelming or short NHL career to win Olympic gold but not make the HOF.

Lots of posters being dishonest with themselves if they really would rather have a Stanley Cup than a HOF career given just how many nobodies have won Cups. No one is choosing a SC with one NHL contract at low pay and then you are done. Not when the other option is 15 year all star HOF career with all the contracts that come with that.

Don't know about the rest of you but as a kid all I dreamed about was scoring Cup winning goal. Don't recall anyone dreaming about winning the Hart or others listed in options.
for me it was always Olympic Gold when I was by myself shooting pucks in the basement. But, I'm 54 years old, American and was 10 when Miracle on Ice happened so that's my wheelhouse.

That said, I would still take the HOF career over the Gold medal as much as it pains me to say that.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
My heart says Olympic Gold or Stanley Cup, but my brain is saying HOF. HOF even without a major award or Cup still means a long and fantastic All star level career. You can win a Stanley Cup and not even score 5 career goals or play more than one season.

Olympic gold is different if we are assuming it is from a best on best tourney. Obviously only great players make those teams. Would have to have a pretty underwhelming or short NHL career to win Olympic gold but not make the HOF.

Lots of posters being dishonest with themselves if they really would rather have a Stanley Cup than a HOF career given just how many nobodies have won Cups. No one is choosing a SC with one NHL contract at low pay and then you are done. Not when the other option is 15 year all star HOF career with all the contracts that come with that.
Where does it say you'd get a one year NHL contract with low pay and win the SC? I've read the OP numerous times and they don't say that. You only think people are being dishonest because you're adding the 1 year NHL career part to it.
If OP asked would your rather
Play 1 season and win the Cup, have a HHOF career, Win a Gold Medal or Win a Hart trophy? You'd see a different outcome.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If I’m going to have a great career regardless then gimme the Cup. If the quality of my career would be random choosing a Cup then gimme HoF. I’d rather be a HoFer with no Cup just because of the money rather than take the Cup and potentially be some random guy who was only on the league for like a couple of years

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And what separates Dionne from some cup winners is that he made more money in LA. Signing there as a free agent was a conscious choice, he also had an offer from the Montréal Canadiens on the table. I'm sure he'd agree Guy Lafleur had the greater NHL career with 5 cups and all the individual awards, but he also never made anywhere near as much money playing hockey in Montréal.
Lasting Legacy or money right now. Are guys who only play for the money truly as great as those who value their legacy (the Cup) above the contract?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Lasting Legacy or money right now. Are guys who only play for the money truly as great as those who value their legacy (the Cup) above the contract?
I mean, the money pretty much dries up once you retire, probably still in your 30s. Lafleur came back from retirement for three more years while doing hair transplant commercials, whereas Dionne had invested in real estate, left the game upon first retirement, and never looked back. One can value a cup ring and still take the ten million dollars if those are the two things on the table.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
If we add qualifiers to it...based on career earnings from one of the options that is completely different.

Take money completely out of it. Then answer it.

Or change it to...you're on your ELC and have a career ending injury...which would have most wanted to accomplish?

Reactions: brentashton

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Where does it say you'd get a one year NHL contract with low pay and win the SC? I've read the OP numerous times and they don't say that. You only think people are being dishonest because you're adding the 1 year NHL career part to it.
If OP asked would your rather
Play 1 season and win the Cup, have a HHOF career, Win a Gold Medal or Win a Hart trophy? You'd see a different outcome.
It doesn’t say that, but it’s definitely a possibility if you choose “Stanley Cup” as your answer. Only thing that is guaranteed if you pick “Stanley Cup” is that you can’t also be an award winner or a HOF player or a Gold medalist. So in that sense the question definitely eliminates the possibility of being an elite player if you choose “Stanley cup”. Assuming the career you get with your Cup is random, the scenario where you only play a few games in the league and win a Cup is definitely in play.

OTOH if you choose HOF it is guaranteed you have a very successful career which comes with a lifetime of financial stability.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
If we add qualifiers to it...based on career earnings from one of the options that is completely different.

Take money completely out of it. Then answer it.

Or change it to...you're on your ELC and have a career ending injury...which would have most wanted to accomplish?

How do you take money out of it completely? You’re talking about pro sports and life changing money depending on the answer. You can’t honestly answer it without taking into account the full benefits of the answer you choose.

As for the ELC idea, not to be morbid but if you’re on an ELC and make the HOF it’s because you died tragically and most likely on the ice. I’ll pass on HOF in that scenario and go with Cup.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
How do you take money out of it completely? You’re talking about pro sports and life changing money depending on the answer. You can’t honestly answer it without taking into account the full benefits of the answer you choose.

As for the ELC idea, not to be morbid but if you’re on an ELC and make the HOF it’s because you died tragically and most likely on the ice. I’ll pass on HOF in that scenario and go with Cup.
My point remains...if you gave everyone the same money...what would they pick them?

Everyone got paid. YUGE. Now, what is your choice?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00