Yes or no... Adam Larsson for Nail Yakupov?

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Just because you're past the "He's Russian, blah blah blah" like you stated, doesn't mean that everyone else is.

OR for that matter, every GM is.

I am certain that every one of those guys are a bit more wary about signing Russian-born players nowadays thanks to Kovy's defection.

I get that, but there's a risk about every single player at the NHL level, leaving your organisation. It can be threw free agency, demanding a trade, KHL, injuries, etc.

I'm also certain that certain Gm's are wary about the "Russian factor" but I just hope that isn't the case with our Gm since I don't give a **** about the 29 other teams.

I just find it funny that everyone raves about how great it would be for us to have someone in our prospect pool like Kucherov or Kuznetsov and how great Tarasenko is but for some strange reason, Yakupov get's thrown under the bus because he doesn't want to play like Cam Janssen AND he might bolt back home.

For a kid who's agent is Larionov, I'm 300% certain that the relationship between Larionov and Lou would be nothing short of awesome. The same can't be said between the Oilers (who are operating with a rookie Gm + a rookie HC) and Larionov.

Edit: When are we going to realise that Kovy was handed the keys to the safe of the KHL. He didn't leave to earn 6M$ a year for the next 4 years... he left cause he could make the same amount of cash we were going to give him threw the next 15 years, 3x faster. Anyone who would've turned that deal down should be checked out cause leaving 100M$ over the spand of 4 years while playing in a league that is known more for his pond hockey style of play was the perfect situation for a guy that seemed to be falling apart on a physical point of view.

I'm certain that if you had a offer that would pay you the same amount of cash you were earning, 3x faster, you wouldn't even think twice about it... but I might be wrong as well, I don't know you, so yeah ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Can Larionov fix his boyfriend/son Loktionov first. I mean he did have the balls to compare him to Datsyuk so it's only fair if he brings Yak and all his Russian trainers here to fix both guys.

Larionov’s advice might surprise you.

He wants his players in the best league in the world. So despite feeling pressure from back home, he prefers to steer them towards the NHL.

Even if it means a smaller paycheque: he says he advised 23-year-old Andrei Loktionov to turn down a $3-million offer from the KHL in favour of the $725,000 the Devils were willing to pay this season.

Loktionov took his advice.

“To be an agent it would be easy to get my commission from the $3 million,†Larionov said. “But I care about the career of the young players. I want to give them a chance to make it here. It’s never going to be easy, but it’s worth it.â€

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/09/...senses-nhl-gms-are-cooling-to-russian-players

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just because you're past the "He's Russian, blah blah blah" like you stated, doesn't mean that everyone else is.

OR for that matter, every GM is.

I am certain that every one of those guys are a bit more wary about signing Russian-born players nowadays thanks to Kovy's defection.

Bingo. And I'm a bit confused why this has become DATW's latest 'hill to die on' anyway given all his harping in the past about how you can have 90 All-Star forwards, but that doesn't matter if you don't have a defense full of PMD's. And now we're trading one of the PMD's for a head case forward. Seems to me more like a case of DATW constantly wanting the flavor of the month.

This isn't even a real rumor anyway. For all we know Edmonton would want more than Larsson.

B A T M A N

I would give up any player on this team for Yakupov. Don't care if he doesn't want to back check. It's not like a team full of back checkers is doing **** all for this team. We need speed, youth, elite talent and a pure goal scorer. The positives far outweigh the negatives for Nail. People are just blinded of the Russian factor. Even though, you know, he's been in Canada for years now. He didn't come from the KHL, to the NHL. He was in the OHL. Almost like a Canadian. For every "Radulov", and "Kovalchuk" people mention, I just retort with "Datsyuk", and "Malkin", and "Ovechkin." Russians DO stay in this league. The ********** leave. And whoop-dee-freaking-doo.

But do please tell me about your fears. I'm sure they're very thought out and interesting, and add to the discussion.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I think we all know it's player specific. I feel better about a Larionov advised/mentored kid over a 30 year old homesick guy promised millions.

My concern with Yak is that he's somewhere in the middle. A KHL team could very well offer him a monster deal.

Either way I wouldn't move Larsson for him. But at this point I move Henrique. But whatever it's not going to happen. I'd like to fix the Russian problem we do have.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This post is pure gold in regards to "Russians are bolting back home :scared:"

Thank you

Actually it didn't disprove it at all. Larionov admitted the attitudes toward Russian players were cooling across the board and the piece even gave examples of a couple other guys leaving like Burmistrov who I'd forgotten about. It's not an accident Nikushin fell to 11 in the draft when he should have been a top 5 pick.

Now if you want to cite Larionov as a reason why Yakupov won't bolt that's fair...but that doesn't mean he will apply his talent. If he's just going to be a younger version of Ryder or Brunner, I'm sorry I'm not giving up Larsson plus (and it would be Larsson plus) for that.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I still don't understand why certain posters are sour on Yakupov. The kid is 20 years old, has all the tools you can ask for in a goal score... something we desperatly need and plays his heart out each and every shift.

I'm passed the "He's Russian, he'll eventually bolt to Russia in about 8 months" argument cause like I said yesterday, we're talking about 2 players in a spand of about 20 years and one of them had a valid reason (Kovalchuk) and the other is just brain dead (Radulov).

If guys like Datsyuk and Ovechkin were about to jump ship, I'd agree but that isn't the case at all. When you commit yourself to leave your country at the age of 16/17 to play on another continent and live with people that aren't your familly, one would say that the level of commitment is pretty high.

The Oilers are a trainwreck of a organisation and their new bench boss is utilising Yakupov as his own whipping boy, to prove to the rest of his roster that he means business. He's a rookie head coach who's trying to make his mark at the NHL level and things aren't going all that great since day #1, so he has to pull out something out of his hat and he pointed in the direction of Yakupov instead of RNH or Eberle.

When you draft a high point producer like Yakupov, 1st overall, and the kid leads the team in goals scored in his rookie year... why would you tell him to "change his game"? The quote he made wasn't about not playing defence and more so about not playing like a 4th line grinder. I don't see RNH or Eberle throwing their weight around when chasing a puck carrier, so why aren't they getting any heat?

If posters want to tag a 20 year old kid who doesn't even have a full season under his belt as a "bad apple", to me, that's the definition of premature judgement right there.

So you want him cause he's a young 1st overall pick.

You make it sound like he is being treated unfairly to change his game in EDM. How would that not happen here again? We'd also be giving our young 4th overall pick on D for that as well.

I agree with the "trade for gamebreaking forward" idea but this feels like making a move to make one.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Actually it didn't disprove it at all. Larionov admitted the attitudes toward Russian players were cooling across the board and the piece even gave examples of a couple other guys leaving like Burmistrov who I'd forgotten about. It's not an accident Nikushin fell to 11 in the draft when he should have been a top 5 pick.

Now if you want to cite Larionov as a reason why Yakupov won't bolt that's fair...but that doesn't mean he will apply his talent. If he's just going to be a younger version of Ryder or Brunner, I'm sorry I'm not giving up Larsson plus (and it would be Larsson plus) for that.

Dude enough with this Nail ='s a younger Ryder/Brunner.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I would do it, because we are desperate for a star forward. We have depth at D and prospects coming up.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Dude enough with this Nail ='s a younger Ryder/Brunner.

What else am I supposed to think when he himself comes out and says he wants to be a one-dimensional player?

Tell me why I'm supposed to believe the meme that everything is all the Oilers' fault and they're 'stifling' his talent? We do it here too with our kid prospects, every time they don't produce it's Pete's fault.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What else am I supposed to think when he himself comes out and says he wants to be a one-dimensional player?

Tell me why I'm supposed to believe the meme that everything is all the Oilers' fault and they're 'stifling' his talent? We do it here too with our kid prospects, every time they don't produce it's Pete's fault.

But we believe it when in respect to Deboer, but don't believe in respect to the Oilers?

And none of this is relevant to Nail's being a younger Brunner. That ish is ridiculous.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm certain that if you had a offer that would pay you the same amount of cash you were earning, 3x faster, you wouldn't even think twice about it... but I might be wrong as well, I don't know you, so yeah ;)

You're disproving your point and you don't even realize it. What Russian ISN'T getting offered money '3x faster' by the KHL?! Loiktionov got offered 4x his NHL salary to jump.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But we believe it when in respect to Deboer, but don't believe in respect to the Oilers?

And none of this is relevant to Nail's being a younger Brunner. That ish is ridiculous.

I don't believe it vis-a-vis Tedenby or Loiktionov. I do think Larsson was comically mismanaged till recently and Josefson is on Pete, yes. But I don't always default to meme thinking.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Bingo. And I'm a bit confused why this has become DATW's latest 'hill to die on' anyway given all his harping in the past about how you can have 90 All-Star forwards, but that doesn't matter if you don't have a defense full of PMD's. And now we're trading one of the PMD's for a head case forward. Seems to me more like a case of DATW constantly wanting the flavor of the month.

This isn't even a real rumor anyway. For all we know Edmonton would want more than Larsson.

"Head case"?

Wow, this board just get's dumber and dumber by the second :help: I've said the same thing since I became a member here... You need balance threw your lineup. You can't have a stacked offense and a mediocre blueline and vice-versa. We have a surplus of potentially stud blueliners and jack **** up front. Logically, we would have to move a player at a position of strenght in order to improve one of our biggest weakness. Yeah, talk about a idiotic plan right there !!!!

How odd is it that my complaining about getting more puck movers on our roster and less cement skaters is now becoming a trend in our GDT as to who we should dress and who we should scratch.

You might not like the way I post or my point of views but trying to deny what I've been saying for the past 5 years when you're probably on board for sending #28 back to Siberia is pretty comical to me.

I don't see a single soul on this board who's dying to see Salvador or #28 back in our lineup, but yeah, feel free to complain about what I said when you're basically approving my comments... 5 years later.

Great job ;)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You're right.

He's not a younger Ryder/Brunner.

He's a younger Kovalsuck who will bolt to the KHL at the very first opportunity.

Kovy waited till 30, almost certainly could have left during his FA year. So if Yak is like Kovy and stays till he's 30......

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

You're disproving your point and you don't even realize it. What Russian ISN'T getting offered money '3x faster' by the KHL?! Loiktionov got offered 4x his NHL salary to jump.

True... but the difference between earning 3M$ in the KHL and basically killing any hope of returning to the NHL isn't the same as what Kovalchuk did.

If Kovy decided to bail on the KHL, to come back to the NHL, there's 30 Gm's who'll be picking up the phone to land his services. Loktionov is having a hard enough time cracking our roster and we're a team who can barelly score 2 goals a game and Loktionov is known as a "offensive" player.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Okay.....good point.

But I think this whole thing is moot.

IMO, Devils are not going to acquire Yak anyway.

The debate isn't if we're close to acquiring Yakupov or not... it's this entire dark cloud that Russian born players will flee back home the second they'll see some type of interest from a KHL team.

When did a proposal on this site ever happen? You'll have better odds playing "powerball" then actually making a proposal that will happen 2 weeks from now.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
No I wouldn't trade larsson for him. Yes I would trade for him. I would take eberle over him without hesitation if given the chance. I don't give any ****s whatsoever if yak doesn't backcheck ever. I want a sniper to be a ****ing sniper and a grinder to be a grinder. Die in a fire Lou. And take ur ****ing mantra with u.

NJ CUP*

make the deal.

its a crap shoot.

no definite either one of them will pan it anything great.

remember stamkos was being dangled his rookie season

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I'm not calling Larsson a bust, far from it, but when looking at the players who were picked in the top #5, the number of impact players threw the league are almost all forwards.

That's the main reason why I'd move Adam for a young high profiled forward. We have Gélinas, who by the looks of things has the potential to be even better then Larsson and there's a couple of promising prospects in Merrill, Severson and Santini.

Our best prospect up front is Reid Boucher followed by Stefan Matteau... so yeah, the future doesn't look all that bright up front.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Larssons development has been in limbo since big bird left. This is the WORST possible coach for this kid. The ****ing worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad