Year One - surprises?

Buttery

Feb 21, 2015
UK
So year one of the plan is nearly finished, 10 games left.

What has surprised you the most about how it's gone and where we are, if anything?

For me, a couple of things.

How excited I am.
Obviously I haven't enjoyed the losing, and it's weird to justify the losses to myself by saying "damn, BUT...." BUT.... I am excited by what's to come, more excited than I thought I'd be. Maybe because of the promise that's been shown by the youngsters, maybe because we're trying something different. Maybe because we have direction.

How difficult it is to be bad.
Never even considered it before. Players don't want to lose, they're playing for their lives. Youngsters called up want to stay up. Other teams that have the same idea also get in the way! The race for the no.1 pick seems to be for us, not necessarily the team.

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
1) I'm pretty surprised by how much Jake Gardiner has improved.

2) We traded Reimer.

3) I'm so surprised/impressed by how well our youngsters have played since the deadline.

I'm just so excited for next season, and not in the way that we Leafs fans are always looking forward to the next season starting lol.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
1. Agreed on Gardiner, Nylander's play and his hair, Komarov
2. Surprised but not overly so by Marincin, Rielly
3. Hope to hear more from Soshnikov, Kadri, Brown, Kapanen
4. Need to see more out of Leivo and AHL superstars Brennan and Arcobello

Also a fan of our prospects' development, especially since so many had to get acclimated to smaller NA ice. It's weird how it seems all our guys have something or another that could land them in the NHL (and that "thing" isn't hurr durr size).

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
How out of touch Carlyle really was! How much effect a few players who are gone, had on the attitude of the whole team.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Only thing that really surprised me was how quickly the players adapted and competed under Babs system.

Last year for every 9 games they looked terrible at possession, defense, etc (win or loss), they would have one really good game. Exact opposite this year with a no show very rarely. Regardless of talent they were easier to watch knowing the effort was there!

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
How out of touch Carlyle really was! How much effect a few players who are gone, had on the attitude of the whole team.

I know Carlyle wasn't well liked among many on this board, but I don't know if that's a fair statement.

Kessel was a big part of the problem and was moved. The other members of last year's team have been injured for much of the season. Phaneuf got traded. And then there's Babcock. In coaching terms, it's like going from a Prius to a Ferrari.

I was a skeptic. I had my doubts that he would make much of a difference at all, but I think credit needs to go where it's due. He should probably be a candidate for the Jack Adams this year, as ridiculous as that sounds. He won't be because the team's terrible, but he's actually managed to force structure on the Leafs. The Leafs, of all teams. This is a team which has been among the worst in the league in that regard since Ron Wilson was coach. We set historic lows in puck possession over the past three years.

It's an incredibly refreshing change and to me, that's the biggest surprise. That this team actually plays smart hockey.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
The Phaneuf to Ottawa trade was the biggest surprise.

I'm also very surprised by how bad Bernier has been most of the year (barring post-TDL). There were no signs at any point in the past that he would play so badly. Even in the collapse, he ended the year at .912.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So year one of the plan is nearly finished, 10 games left.

What has surprised you the most about how it's gone and where we are, if anything?

For me, a couple of things.

How excited I am.
Obviously I haven't enjoyed the losing, and it's weird to justify the losses to myself by saying "damn, BUT...." BUT.... I am excited by what's to come, more excited than I thought I'd be. Maybe because of the promise that's been shown by the youngsters, maybe because we're trying something different. Maybe because we have direction.

How difficult it is to be bad.
Never even considered it before. Players don't want to lose, they're playing for their lives. Youngsters called up want to stay up. Other teams that have the same idea also get in the way! The race for the no.1 pick seems to be for us, not necessarily the team.

I think what surprises me the most is how leafs management has managed to put it's boot on the throat of our media and expose them for what they really are inconsequential.

The insiders are anything but , the supposed wise pundits upon reflection are either not that wise or have been caught and called out for pushing their own agendas for their own money making company.

Look how calm this season has been , what happened to those media predictions and many posters here also

You know all those that predicted this market could never handle the strategy they are employing right now , it makes me :laugh: so hard at them.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Not surprised but relieved that the pieces Shanny has brought in are working so well together and really making the leafs look like an +A organization. I guess I'm surprised at how quickly it came together.
I was surprised we landed Babcock. I felt that we were the leafs and he would want to be with a classier organization but I guess we are that classier organization now!
Thanks Shanny!

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
Definitely the Phaneuf trade. To Ottawa of all places, it came out of left field and was a great surprise.

Besides that I would say I'm surprised at how good this team can look on the ice, despite having a roster of mainly inexperienced youths and plugs.

Yet they play better hockey than our last 'professional' team did.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying watching games

We're such a hard working team this season and we've been "in" most of our games right till the end

We're losing but it's always so close

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Phaneuf Trade with no salary retained

Polak/Spaling for 2 2nd rounders :amazed:

Surprised how competitive we are given the talent disparity against other teams.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying watching games

We're such a hard working team this season and we've been "in" most of our games right till the end

We're losing but it's always so close

This is the big one for me. I remember us talking about how we'd be "happy if the team played better, but lost" and how I wanted to believe that, but thought it probably wasn't true.

Lo and behold, a team that tries like crazy, and loses, is a lot more fun to watch than a talented-ish team that doesn't try much. It does definitely make sense, but reality isn't always as forgiving as the fantasy.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
so far so good, no real surprises except I thought NK would have more points but he's been very good in other ways so... management predicted there would be pain

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Phaneuf trade with 0 retention was definitely a surprise for me, but I have to say the play of a couple kids have excited me so far.
Hyman is a big power player with touch around the net, he goes hard to the net and plays a solid two way game.
Soshnikov is a gritty Komarov 2.0 with a bullet of a wrister.
Nylander looks good but what jumps out the most for me is his face off abilities against top C's.
Sparks looks good and could be a great goalie for the Leafs.
M.Rielly is just a stud out there and looks to be a Norris trophy candidate sooner than later, and a Captain.
Overall I'm impressed with the future of this team now and havent felt this good about a Leafs team in a very long time.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Traded Phaneuf to Ottawa With no salary retention

I've noticed a few ppl mentioning this which is a bit of a surprise IMHO. Ottawa desperately needed a decent defender, and we were wanting to move on from the old core and regime. So, not so surprising IMHO except for the divisional rival thing maybe.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Kessel was a big part of the problem and was moved.

I am not sure if you consider advanced stats but JVR, Bozak and Kessel have improved by 5% in CF% with Kessel leading the way with around 8%. Carlyle was the problem and not these guys.

Anyways, this year I have been surprised by Babcock's coaching. He took a really ****** roster and completely revamped the team in terms of style. Lot's people were saying that this team is un-coachable or doesn't listen. Babcock proved them wrong. The fact was this team was coached wrong and when they lost, the coach blamed them instead of understanding that it was his own fault.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the AHL team is doing and seeing the fast progression of our prospect. I anticipated waiting at least another year before we some gains but it looks like we might start competing for playoffs next year.

Also, I thought Marincin was a top 6 defender and didn't think he could handle the top pair. He has proven me wrong completely.

The Phaneuf trade was the biggest surprise. As soon as Bobby Mac wrote on twitter about the rumour, the trade happened within 2-3 hrs. I loved how the management is completely shrouded in secrecy and moves can happen anytime.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
I've noticed a few ppl mentioning this which is a bit of a surprise IMHO. Ottawa desperately needed a decent defender, and we were wanting to move on from the old core and regime. So, not so surprising IMHO except for the divisional rival thing maybe.

They wanted to move on from old core, so they acquired overpaid 30 year old with no salary retention? Seriously?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
1. Quite frankly, I know we were warned of pain, but I did not think this was a 30th place team. Obviously it's the right place to be in the early stages of a rebuild. But if Bozak and JvR weren't injured long term, and the revolving injury door wasn't there, I think Babcock's system would have led to a few more wins.

2. Continuing the last point, Babcock has been a magician in squeezing all he could from this group.

3. The ability to not only trade Phaneuf's anchor of a contract, but to retain none of it. Thought for sure they'd have to do what they did with Kessel to move that contract.

4. Soshnikov. Knew very little of him.

5. Reimer. Have always been lukewarm to him. He was stellar for the most part. I'd certainly entertain the option of bringing him back as a bridge in the next stages of the rebuild.

6. Komarov's been a beast.

7. Stamkos still being unsigned and the possibility he could be added to this mix of goodies.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
Year one was most surprised we drafted Reilly. Year 4 so far is how good of a coach Babcock really is. Up til the trade deadline he has nothing to work with and still the team competed. Now with a bit of talent competing is becoming winning some games.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Biggest surprise for me, is how well all the players drafted in 2015 are doing post draft. I know you can't judge players by stats, but it seem that pretty much every player is punching above their weight and would probably be drafted higher if they re-did the draft today, other than Marner who doesn't have any room to move up. Certainly provides some excitement into future drafts.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
Kessel, Phaneuf and Reimer gone (along with the ghost of Brian Burke)

Marincin being anything more than a 7D

Gardiner playing better than Rielly (not a knock on either, just loving Jake's maturity this year)

Komarov getting 20 goals

It's been infinitely more fun than last year.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Bozak is the biggest surprise to me. Obviously a top-6 centre, even without Kessel. 54 point pace, and even +/- without his best friend, while Kessel has scored at a 54 point pace +2 playing with the Pens. I think we can now all admit surprise at who was stirring the drink.

I am not surprised at how much better the team structure is under Babs. Best coach in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad