Podcast (Audio) Yannetti (on ATKM this time)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yea this is the part that is up to the player. They themselves need to put it together. But the organization can help if they handle players the right way.
Eyssimont could have reached it sooner. He was the only one that looked good with Kovalchuk and he only got maybe a game or two. If an organization wants a player bad enough they will make it work. Like sticking with Byfield on the top line even though the production wasnt there year 1.
If they really want Fagemo to succeed they can stick him with Danault and Moore and let him play through it for an extended period. Not one mistake banished to the minors.
Yep.

And not everytime it fails to work out is an organizational failing.

The inability to adapt and put variety of their trainings is an organizational failing.

Having players of value, but often losing them for nothing, is an organization failing.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
That is 100% conjecture though, it's not based in reality, it's based on the 10% of the iceberg we can visually see.
I dont think conjecture is the right word. It is based in reality just not the full picture. You are not wrong but you put too much stock in the 90% we dont see. You act like these profound things happen at the rink that we dont see. These guys show up for work and go home just like everyone else.
Kaliyev didnt go into the office and spit in MacLellans face for not playing him. Daryl Evans said when he got scratched he missed 5 pucks in a row in the next practice and didnt seem to care that he missed. Thats it. Cernak flinched at a hit early on in his rookie camp and the entire organization wrote him off as a wuss and that was literally it.
It is not as profound behind the scenes as you think.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I dont think conjecture is the right word. It is based in reality just not the full picture. You are not wrong but you put too much stock in the 90% we dont see. You act like these profound things happen at the rink that we dont see. These guys show up for work and go home just like everyone else.
Kaliyev didnt go into the office and spit in MacLellans face for not playing him. Daryl Evans said when he got scratched he missed 5 pucks in a row in the next practice and didnt seem to care that he missed. Thats it. Cernak flinched at a hit early on in his rookie camp and the entire organization wrote him off as a wuss and that was literally it.
It is not as profound behind the scenes as you think.

Maybe the wrong word.....

It's not as profound, but think about what you just said....Kaliyev was scratched....because he missed 5 pucks in a row and acted like he didn't care, as a coach, I'm done with that player, I could give two f***s about missing pucks, but f***, act like you care.....that's not really profound, it's not life changing, but it's common sense....

You say that's it, as in, omg that's all he did, he acted like he didn't care.....sounds like someone else that was just shipped out...right?

And was this a one off, a really bad day, or multiple instances, we don't know, but we can probably infer that it's not a one off, because common sense.....

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I noticed that you didn't ask us for questions again.....

View attachment 883657

Bro Jessie has to shampoo his hair sometimes!

We were going to record much closer to the draft but Mark happened to be in the building so we wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to record in person and it all got thrown together quickly and we knew that we'd be sitting on it for a while so...

Yea... I debated posting an open invite for questions at like 11pm the day before we recorded but figured it wouldn't get seen.

HOWEVER

We'll be talking to him again after the draft so consider this your invitation to submit questions.

And they will read and delete them...

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I watched the Youtube video of it yesterday and I thought it was a good interview, great job. I liked how candid Yannetti got with his answers and talking about past picks. I can actually see and hear a bit of Dean in him when discussing the draft and "NHL currency".

It was a little disheartening to hear him talk about his ultimate job of putting together a list of players available for each pick and then choosing whichever Blake wants based on whatever notion he has at the time of "I want an American" or show me a guy with "hockey sense" or "size and toughness". I mean, all teams operate that way, but I just wish it was described with more input from him and the staff. Because ultimately, what the f*** does Blake know?

It just makes fans think of the leak that the Kings had Zegras on top of the remaining players for their pick and Blake picked Turcotte instead. I liked when Dean said if he has scouts pounding their fists on the table for their guy, that meant something to him and he finds a way to get that guy. Ironically, I think he said that about us wanting Zykov :laugh: but I miss that about Lombardi.

Ya Blake figured out Zegras was too A D D pretty quick.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

It's not as profound, but think about what you just said....Kaliyev was scratched....because he missed 5 pucks in a row and acted like he didn't care, as a coach, I'm done with that player, I could give two f***s about missing pucks, but f***, act like you care.....that's not really profound, it's not life changing, but it's common sense....

You say that's it, as in, omg that's all he did, he acted like he didn't care.....sounds like someone else that was just shipped out...right?

And was this a one off, a really bad day, or multiple instances, we don't know, but we can probably infer that it's not a one off, because common sense.....

Caveman coaching.

Should have chewed his ass before the game and told him he is scratch next time he has a lackadaisica moment.

That way you give him a shot to fire up something in the game, address the issue and let him know the penalty for it ahead of time

Just having a little fun Jessie.

Thanks for your coverage.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Agreed. Spitting in McLennans face is possibly better than not caring in truth.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Ya Blake figured out Zegras was too A D D pretty quick.

Yeah, Blake totally got it right, Zegras would have been an awful pick and would not have been useful for the Kings in a secondary scoring role for the next decade.

This is where the nonsense and falsehoods about "not being able to win with certain types of players" just goes to far sometimes on this forum. There are players like Zegras on every Stanley Cup winner. Is he going to be the best player on a cup winner? No. Is he going to be a 1st liner on a cup winner? No. Can he be a contributor on the 2nd line and the PP for a cup contender? Yes. The guy had back to back 60 point seasons at age 20 and 21, but you would think he is Craig Johnson with the way he's discussed here, I realize he's a rival player, but come on, some people need to give their heads a long shake.

Blake made a terrible decision, placing to much importance on the thoughts of a player that he played with his his NHL career, which has been a pattern with Blake since he took over. I was critical of the Kings scouts for not seeing some of the red flags with our picks, but since the news came out about how this pick played out, there is a lot less blame for it. Was Zegras the best player available at that spot? No. Would he have been alot better than what we ended up with? Yes.

You will bench a skilled player capable of playing on scoring line if he shows a lack of effort, but will keep trotting out offensive black holes like JAD and Turcotte into scoring line roles because they always hustle? Hate to break it to you, but there comes a time where you need the guy with the 40 goal skills to make a play that the guys with 12 goal skill just aren't going to make. There are plenty of scoring line players in this league who don't give 100% effort, 100% of the time, but they still find roles in the league. There are players with star skill and 100% compete, but they are unicorns that not every team has (including the Kings). I'm not saying to have a team full of Kaliyev's, but they should have been able to find a role for Kaliyev, especially with the lack of skill and finishers on the roster.

Last edited:

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Yeah, Blake totally got it right, Zegras would have been an awful pick and would not have been useful for the Kings in a secondary scoring role for the next decade.

This is where the nonsense and falsehoods about "not being able to win with certain types of players" just goes to far sometimes on this forum. There are players like Zegras on every Stanley Cup winner. Is he going to be the best player on a cup winner? No. Is he going to be a 1st liner on a cup winner? No. Can he be a contributor on the 2nd line and the PP for a cup contender? Yes. The guy had back to back 60 point seasons at age 20 and 21, but you would think he is Craig Johnson with the way he's discussed here, I realize he's a rival player, but come on, some people need to give their heads a long shake.

Blake made a terrible decision, placing to much importance on the thoughts of a player that he played with his his NHL career, which has been a pattern with Blake since he took over. I was critical of the Kings scouts for not seeing some of the red flags with our picks, but since the news came out about how this pick played out, there is a lot less blame for it. Was Zegras the best player available at that spot? No. Would he have been alot better than what we ended up with? Yes.

You will bench a skilled player capable of playing on scoring line if he shows a lack of effort, but will keep trotting out offensive black holes like JAD and Turcotte into scoring line roles because they always hustle? Hate to break it to you, but there comes a time where you need the guy with the 40 goal skills to make a play that the guys with 12 goal skill just aren't going to make. There are plenty of scoring line players in this league who don't give 100% effort, 100% of the time, but they still find roles in the league. There are players with star skill and 100% compete, but they are unicorns that not every team has (including the Kings). I'm not saying to have a team full of Kaliyev's, but they should have been able to find a role for Kaliyev, especially with the lack of skill and finishers on the roster.
I had a direct conversation with a Ducks marketing big wig a little over a year ago who said that Zegras is the single least professional player that their staff had ever worked with - unreasonable demands, no showing photo shoots, treating everybody poorly and an all around primadonna. They decided within a few months after his draft that MacTavish, not Zegras, would be the face of the franchise going forward.

On-ice they don't know what to do with him. He can't play center due to his disinterest in defense and he wants to have the puck on his stick at all times, which is difficult as a winger because he can't fulfill other winger roles on the forecheck.

Being selfish isn't just wanting to shoot all the time, it's expecting to be treated like "the man" even when passing the puck. Stats and skills just don't have anywhere near the value that modern fans attribute to players. It's video game thinking and combined with access to instant highlights 24/7 people are losing focus on what actually wins in hockey.

If you want to win, you use your draft capital elsewhere.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I had a direct conversation with a Ducks marketing big wig a little over a year ago who said that Zegras is the single least professional player that their staff had ever worked with - unreasonable demands, no showing photo shoots, treating everybody poorly and an all around primadonna. They decided within a few months after his draft that MacTavish, not Zegras, would be the face of the franchise going forward.

On-ice they don't know what to do with him. He can't play center due to his disinterest in defense and he wants to have the puck on his stick at all times, which is difficult as a winger because he can't fulfill other winger roles on the forecheck.

Being selfish isn't just wanting to shoot all the time, it's expecting to be treated like "the man" even when passing the puck. Stats and skills just don't have anywhere near the value that modern fans attribute to players. It's video game thinking and combined with access to instant highlights 24/7 people are losing focus on what actually wins in hockey.

If you want to win, you use your draft capital elsewhere.
I hadn't heard specifics like the above but I also heard the Ducks were quick to move on from Zegras being the face of the franchise.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Zegras will be a good 60+ point guy when he's a backseater but dude does not have the character to be the guy. I think that's where the consternation comes from.

Maybe some day he'll dig in and do the gutsy work but he's gonna have to go thru some shit first.

Reactions: King'sPawn

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I hadn't heard specifics like the above but I also heard the Ducks were quick to move on from Zegras being the face of the franchise.
Its amazing what people will say after drinking all day on the golf course.

Do you remember back in the day on LGK when I shared a conversation with Hayward in the same circumstances? I think the thread was titled "Does anyone here have an air horn and a taste for being arrested?"

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Its amazing what people will say after drinking all day on the golf course.

Do you remember back in the day on LGK when I shared a conversation with Hayward in the same circumstances? I think the thread was titled "Does anyone here have an air horn and a taste for being arrested?"
I'm sorry to say I don't remember that at all. Would love to hear it! Feel free to PM me if you don't think it's applicable/something you don't want to repost here.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Zegras will be a good 60+ point guy when he's a backseater but dude does not have the character to be the guy. I think that's where the consternation comes from.

Maybe some day he'll dig in and do the gutsy work but he's gonna have to go thru some shit first.

Still better to end up with a 60 point second liner with a shitty attitude at #5, than a 30 point bottom six guy.

The Kings scouts evaluated a player, suggested he be the one picked and the GM went against the scouts (likely siding with his buddy) and the results have been terrible. That is on the GM. I'm not trying to say the guy is some huge superstar, but scoring 60+ at 20/21 is still pretty good, even if it's more frequent now than it used to be (sorry Glen Murray).

Reactions: Schrute farms

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Still better to end up with a 60 point second liner with a shitty attitude at #5, than a 30 point bottom six guy.
So knowing what you know now, you have the option to draft Turcotte at No. 5 or you can trade it straight up for PLD.

You'd pick PLD?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

100% I would bench any player for lack of effort....on a consistent basis. I'm not saying that is Kaliyev, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it was, with how 2 coaches have glossed over him right now, yea the kid has skill, you need more than that.

No one is asking for 100% effort 100% of the time, can't ask that in an 82 game season, it's not realistic, but as a young player, trying to find footing, if you can't or won't do anything to help yourself, coaches are just going to move on.

You say there are a lot of skill players not giving 100/100, agreed, there's probably 5x more skill players that aren't in the league for not giving a f***, and Kaliyev could be one more added to the list...

The Kings scouts evaluated a player, suggested he be the one picked and the GM went against the scouts (likely siding with his buddy) and the results have been terrible. That is on the GM. I'm not trying to say the guy is some huge superstar, but scoring 60+ at 20/21 is still pretty good, even if it's more frequent now than it used to be (sorry Glen Murray).

Did they though? I mean I heard the story you are referencing, but if you listen to Yanetti on this latest interview, doesn't sound like that's the process they work through...

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Zegras is an example of a young, talented guy that hasn't "earned" anything at the NHL level but was given too much by the sucky team and didn't have him learn properly. Bad mix of selfish guy with crappy team and no structure. Usually these things get fixed -- either internally or the guy learns as he develops/matures as an NHL player. Seems like Zegras has been given free reign to do whatever he wants and he's opted to go self-entitlement, etc.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Zegras is an example of a young, talented guy that hasn't "earned" anything at the NHL level but was given too much by the sucky team and didn't have him learn properly. Bad mix of selfish guy with crappy team and no structure. Usually these things get fixed -- either internally or the guy learns as he develops/matures as an NHL player. Seems like Zegras has been given free reign to do whatever he wants and he's opted to go self-entitlement, etc.

Zegras really needed Getzlaf to stick around for a couple more years for blanket parties and swirlies.

• Haha
Reactions: Schrute farms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad