Podcast (Audio) Yannetti (on ATKM this time)

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I noticed that you didn't ask us for questions again.....

1718655018562.png

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I just received my Kaleb Lawrence game worn jersey....
Damn I admire your conviction to wanting fighters on the team and in the organization but is this guy really that much of a fighter? Saw the picture of him signing the contract and his arms look like mine, which is not a compliment.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Damn I admire your conviction to wanting fighters on the team and in the organization but is this guy really that much of a fighter? Saw the picture of him signing the contract and his arms look like mine, which is not a compliment.
Not necessarily a fighter, but he has grit.

Heck, he got back-to-back suspensions in the playoffs. I thought the suspensions were a little too much, but he didn't get them for hitting a player too hard with a pillow 😆

Reactions: Fat Elvis

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I noticed that you didn't ask us for questions again.....

View attachment 883657
We were going to record much closer to the draft but Mark happened to be in the building so we wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to record in person and it all got thrown together quickly and we knew that we'd be sitting on it for a while so...

Yea... I debated posting an open invite for questions at like 11pm the day before we recorded but figured it wouldn't get seen.

HOWEVER

We'll be talking to him again after the draft so consider this your invitation to submit questions.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Not necessarily a fighter, but he has grit.

Heck, he got back-to-back suspensions in the playoffs. I thought the suspensions were a little too much, but he didn't get them for hitting a player too hard with a pillow 😆
That's kind of my point: just being a player with grit in this organization can get Utah to buy a jersey! That's how bad it has gotten.

As for suspensions, it wouldn't surprise me if the OHL handed them out for hitting someone with a pillow.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Here’s what I heard after 20 mins into an hour+ long episode.

Something about Harry Potter.
No idea what else what was discussed. I’ll have to listen back a couple more times to pick out the nuggets.

I’m sure there is insight to be gleaned on the margins. Just unfortunate that it’s not entertaining in the process.

Bottom line, listening is a poor use of leisure time.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
We were going to record much closer to the draft but Mark happened to be in the building so we wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to record in person and it all got thrown together quickly and we knew that we'd be sitting on it for a while so...

Yea... I debated posting an open invite for questions at like 11pm the day before we recorded but figured it wouldn't get seen.

HOWEVER

We'll be talking to him again after the draft so consider this your invitation to submit questions.

Well done Jesse. Here's my Q for the next pod: how do Mark and Staff compare a "boom or bust" (high ceiling, low floor) prospect vs. a "safe" pick (low ceiling, high floor)? How does he assess which of the two is preferred?

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

HOWEVER

Feel free to ad lib, on behalf of everybody.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Solid job, only thing Is when he was talking about Krill Kirsanov Jesse started to talk over him. Maybe it was me, but if it was on my end sorry, but could anyone let me know what he said
Thx
Not sure if Jesse edited a bit of it out because some of Kirsanov was discussed with Hoven already.

In short, there was hope Kirsanov was going to participate in this year's development camp. But unfortunately, he was injured.

However, in this interview, Yannetti mentions he's still a good pick and he believes in his ability to play in the NHL. The problem is two-fold:
- he doesn't think the KHL is a good developmental league for young players, and he gave Michkov as an example.
- the players are a lot more incentivized to stay in the KHL anyway. Closer to home and more money than what the Kings can offer

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Not sure if Jesse edited a bit of it out because some of Kirsanov was discussed with Hoven already.

In short, there was hope Kirsanov was going to participate in this year's development camp. But unfortunately, he was injured.

However, in this interview, Yannetti mentions he's still a good pick and he believes in his ability to play in the NHL. The problem is two-fold:
- he doesn't think the KHL is a good developmental league for young players, and he gave Michkov as an example.
- the players are a lot more incentivized to stay in the KHL anyway. Closer to home and more money than what the Kings can offer
Perfect, thanks

Reactions: King'sPawn

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Well done Jesse. Here's my Q for the next pod: how do Mark and Staff compare a "boom or bust" (high ceiling, low floor) prospect vs. a "safe" pick (low ceiling, high floor)? How does he assess which of the two is preferred?
To expand on that slightly @All The Kings Men is the player tier set on the floor, ceiling or mid point of a players perceived potential?

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Here’s what I heard after 20 mins into an hour+ long episode.

Something about Harry Potter.
No idea what else what was discussed. I’ll have to listen back a couple more times to pick out the nuggets.

I’m sure there is insight to be gleaned on the margins. Just unfortunate that it’s not entertaining in the process.

Bottom line, listening is a poor use of leisure time.
It’s why I can’t do podcasts. I’ll tune it out while focusing on other things.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
BigKing - my three favorite prospects right now are Ziemmer, Helenius and Lawrence. All can fight - I would say Sammy is the most active. Lawrence is dirty and can fight, but needs some help in this area, hopefully Jeremy Clarke can help.

Ziemmer is more a cross between Toffoli and Clifford - he has sick hands and can fight. I have his junior Prince George jersey and he signed it at the Vegas Rookie Camp last September. A few people were asking me about it (including Jon Hoven) and taking pictures of it. Pretty rare and sick.

Helenius is my fav prospects - just picked up two of his Finish (SM-liiga) game worn jerseys - one is really rare. Really nice kid also - met him in Vegas also. I also have a game worn Ontario Reign jersey of his. Helenius is very popular in Ontario.

Lawrence was annoying all the other teams at the Vegas rookie tournament - he's a pest who can hit and yap. Just picked up his Owen Sound game worn jersey. His trade to London really changed his career.

Funny thing is the last person I met in Vegas was my fav Kings Marty McSorley. He was there watching his nephew.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Questions for Yannetti for next time

What was his grade school nickname? was it "Yannetti Spaghetti" ?

Which player that he drafted is he most proud of ? ( as far as exceeding expectations)

What is his favorite Star Wars movie?

• Haha
Reactions: steepdrop

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
@All The Kings Men finally finished this, took a few, loved it,

Yanetti talked about what a lot of people here don't get, the fact that each player gets it at different times, he talked about Simmonds getting it 3 days, Toffoli, 3 years, and Eyssimont, 6 years....

Such an under talked about aspect of development, is when the light goes off for each prospect

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
@All The Kings Men finally finished this, took a few, loved it,

Yanetti talked about what a lot of people here don't get, the fact that each player gets it at different times, he talked about Simmonds getting it 3 days, Toffoli, 3 years, and Eyssimont, 6 years....

Such an under talked about aspect of development, is when the light goes off for each prospect
Yea this is the part that is up to the player. They themselves need to put it together. But the organization can help if they handle players the right way.
Eyssimont could have reached it sooner. He was the only one that looked good with Kovalchuk and he only got maybe a game or two. If an organization wants a player bad enough they will make it work. Like sticking with Byfield on the top line even though the production wasnt there year 1.
If they really want Fagemo to succeed they can stick him with Danault and Moore and let him play through it for an extended period. Not one mistake banished to the minors.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I watched the Youtube video of it yesterday and I thought it was a good interview, great job. I liked how candid Yannetti got with his answers and talking about past picks. I can actually see and hear a bit of Dean in him when discussing the draft and "NHL currency".

It was a little disheartening to hear him talk about his ultimate job of putting together a list of players available for each pick and then choosing whichever Blake wants based on whatever notion he has at the time of "I want an American" or show me a guy with "hockey sense" or "size and toughness". I mean, all teams operate that way, but I just wish it was described with more input from him and the staff. Because ultimately, what the f*** does Blake know?

It just makes fans think of the leak that the Kings had Zegras on top of the remaining players for their pick and Blake picked Turcotte instead. I liked when Dean said if he has scouts pounding their fists on the table for their guy, that meant something to him and he finds a way to get that guy. Ironically, I think he said that about us wanting Zykov :laugh: but I miss that about Lombardi.

Reactions: VILARGOD

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yea this is the part that is up to the player. They themselves need to put it together. But the organization can help if they handle players the right way.
Eyssimont could have reached it sooner. He was the only one that looked good with Kovalchuk and he only got maybe a game or two. If an organization wants a player bad enough they will make it work. Like sticking with Byfield on the top line even though the production wasnt there year 1.
If they really want Fagemo to succeed they can stick him with Danault and Moore and let him play through it for an extended period. Not one mistake banished to the minors.

That is 100% conjecture though, it's not based in reality, it's based on the 10% of the iceberg we can visually see.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00