Yakemchuk / Parekh / Silayev / Dickinson / Buium

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which D prospect?

• Total voters

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
What happened between the draft and today for everyone to turn on a dime with Yakemchuk? Does rookie camp and some preseason games really move the needle? That pick was widely panned on draft day, even by Sens fans.

Ya seemed to get a boost for getting picked first and people re-assessed him.

I find it odd how that didn't happen at all with Buium. His supporters think 5 teams all screwed up.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What happened between the draft and today for everyone to turn on a dime with Yakemchuk? Does rookie camp and some preseason games really move the needle? That pick was widely panned on draft day, even by Sens fans.
He was my first choice and Buium my second, but wanted a RD, so liked Yak the best.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Do you feel Silayav's CEILING is 35 points?

If we’re being realistic then yeah that sounds about right. As of right now Silayev provides next to no offense. It’s take a lot of projection and development from him to be a guy who is a 40+ pt D. In all likelihood Silayev’s not going to be a PP guy. It’s very rare for guys to exceed that 35-40 without significant PP time. There were 6 D last year that had 35+ pts and 5 or fewer PP pts.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024

I mean, yeah. I went into my preseason viewings of him a total skeptic but he showed he could use his biggest strengths against higher level comp while knowing when to take risks and when to play it safe, which was the biggest question mark. He has a long way to go before he's a regular top four guy but he definitely deserves a reputation bump for what he did in those games.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I said months ago in the Silayev thread on the Devils board that the first 3 years of Parayko's career is like the higher end of where I think and hope Silayev ends up while the couple years following that is on the lower end of what I'd hope he becomes. He was incredible defensively the whole time. He was a great offensive play driver to start then dropped off a bit. This was a guy that played over 25 minutes a night on the way to a Cup win as arguably the best player on the team and was in the Conn Smythe conversation.

This is very much a realistic ceiling for Silayev and it's not being disrespectful or underrating Silayev. This would be phenomenal. If you get this guy with Luke/Casey/Nemec as the rest of the top 4 you're laughing at how insane it is. It'd be up there with that Nashville PK/Ellis/Ekholm/Josi top 4 that got to a Cup final without having stars up front.

GSLFLdAX0AApatV

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Do you feel Silayav's CEILING is 35 points?
In NJD, yes.

He likely won't be on either PP unit.

Do you know how many dmen last year reached 35 EV points? 12.

Some notable players who failed to reach it: Charlie McAvoy, Erik Karlsson, Adam Fox, Dahlin, Heiskanen, and basically every other dman in the league.

When Parayko reached 35 points in 21-22, 31 of them were even strength (+3 empty net which some sites count as EV, but evolving hockey, and me personally, do not). Here is a complete list of dmen to score more EV points than parayko that year:

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 4.38.10 PM.png

If you're comparing the point totals of dmen who get PP1 time (where most dmen get half of their production or more), to dmen on PP2 or not at all, you're doing it wrong.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I said months ago in the Silayev thread on the Devils board that the first 3 years of Parayko's career is like the higher end of where I think and hope Silayev ends up while the couple years following that is on the lower end of what I'd hope he becomes. He was incredible defensively the whole time. He was a great offensive play driver to start then dropped off a bit. This was a guy that played over 25 minutes a night on the way to a Cup win as arguably the best player on the team and was in the Conn Smythe conversation.

This is very much a realistic ceiling for Silayev and it's not being disrespectful or underrating Silayev. This would be phenomenal. If you get this guy with Luke/Casey/Nemec as the rest of the top 4 you're laughing at how insane it is. It'd be up there with that Nashville PK/Ellis/Ekholm/Josi top 4 that got to a Cup final without having stars up front.

GSLFLdAX0AApatV
People struggle to seperate the point totals of dmen who aren't PP QBs vs guys who are.

30+ EV points is generally good for top 20-25 every year (more so back before 2020).

Parayko as a rookie had 25 EV points, which doesn't seem like a lot, but it ranked him 19th in the league among dmen.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Any talk of what Silayev will or won't be is silly, Big players and big D usually take a lot of time before they show what they can be. it might take till Silayev is 26 years old for him to show what he truly is.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Any talk of what Silayev will or won't be is silly, Big players and big D usually take a lot of time before they show what they can be. it might take till Silayev is 26 years old for him to show what he truly is.

I mean the thing with Silayev not creating offense isn't a skill thing or him growing into his body. It's a mentality thing. He literally never tries anything. Even when he went back down to the MHL he did nothing offensively. I don't think he even knows offense is a thing. Sure it's "possible" but it would require a complete overhaul from him. He has some skill and certainly could've been a solid offensive player at the MHL level if he applied himself offensively at all but he just doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad