XCOM 2 - Now On Consoles

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Since it hasn't been said in this thread, one of the big reasons they're releasing PC only is the massive success of The Long War. They're wanting to embrace the modding community, which doesn't translate to consoles.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Since it hasn't been said in this thread, one of the big reasons they're releasing PC only is the massive success of The Long War. They're wanting to embrace the modding community, which doesn't translate to consoles.

As a side thing, are Fallout 4 mods even on the consoles yet?

But yeah, XCOM runs and plays the best on PC, especially with mod support being a big thing.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

And also because nobody bought the console version of XCOM. Sales sucked.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I heard (I think it was Angry Joe) that they chose to go with XCOM losing in the first game based on the fact that, according to their stats, a strong majority/plurality of players only got the bad ending.

That's a really cool way to go about it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It opens up a more interesting story that way, I feel.

Even better is how it seems to have had a drastic impact on the gameplay!

Starting combat missions being hidden and setting up the ambush sounds a lot more fun (and faster) than inching forward to avoid getting caught flat-footed by the enemy free move when you discovered them in the first game. Giving the enemy their endgame goal also makes for far more interesting decision trees rather than simply having to look at the rewards you got when having to choose between exclusive.

It, somewhat counterintuitively, gives a lot more urgency to everything the player does and that will make the experience much more engaging and rewarding.

It feels a bit like Firaxis stumbled unto this: "I can't believe our sweet ass game didn't sell well! Hell, we bucked the trend in that a lot of people actually finished it but got the bad ending! What a bunch of doofuses! We should make a sequel where the good guys lost.... Hey, wait a minute.... That sounds awesome!"

And then, as they brainstormed they kept digging deeper and deeper and finding more and more compelling gameplay elements that flow from the set up.

Maybe a bit romanticized but whatever, it makes me even more excited for this game!

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I heard (I think it was Angry Joe) that they chose to go with XCOM losing in the first game based on the fact that, according to their stats, a strong majority/plurality of players only got the bad ending.

That's a really cool way to go about it.

im pretty sure I read that less than 2% of runs started are ever finished/won lol. the rest are losses

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
the armor and weapon models and textures really look incredible at times

EDIT: EGM gave it a 75 because its too hard :laugh:

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've put about 250 hours of Long War in without winning, so I'm ready for this. I preordered a game for the first time ever. This whole video is worth watching, but from about 34:15 on makes me so excited for this game:

Things like the fog of war/LOS debug modes, the 'marketing' mode, and the replay system are exactly what I wanted. The ability to watch a replay of a mission with the ability to jump in at any time? Love it. Procedural map stuff is at 42:00 and seems well done. The whole system seem very accessible to modding, so I expect a lot of great stuff will be possible.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!

Hmm, I have to say, I'm surprised at how buggy/sluggish it is. Hopefully it'll just take a patch or two.

Appreciate TB's views though.

Edit: And what's important that none of the bugs seem game-breaking, but still need to be fixed.

Last edited:

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
ill reserve any performance complaints until after the GPU drivers come out

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
ill reserve any performance complaints until after the GPU drivers come out

Good point, and I read somewhere the consumer version should have fixes(it was on steam forums, so take it with a grain of salt I guess, heh).

Edit: I think it shows how much confidence that Firaxis had in their game. They gave review copies a couple weeks in advance and lift the embargo 5 days before release, and reviewers are not allowing the technical problems get in the way AT all. Especially considering how disastrous procedural stuff can sometimes be.

Last edited:

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
even if performance is a little jank on release, I can live with some FPS drops in a turn based strategy game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad