Confirmed Trade: [WSH/OTT] Jakob Chychrun for Nick Jensen and 2026 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Of course pro scouting f***ed us on this one. On paper, Chychrun looks mint. Big, offensive D-man, can skate, but if you actually watched, you'd realize he CANNOT defend. End of story. So...of course teams stayed away and we're left holding our weiners.

I think we're lucky that we got a guy, in Jensen, that suits our needs so well, otherwise...like, this would have been a cap dump, which is ridiculous value-wise

• Wow
Reactions: lawrence

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
The price we paid for Chychrun was a result of our former GM being one of the worst managers in recent memory vs. an accurate reflection of him as a player.

I think Chychrun can be a good, offense-first 2nd pairing guy. He has an unreal shot, is a solid passer, and is good at jumping in off the rush. If paired with the right partner (and it seems like that's the plan in Washington with Roy), he can be a solid guy who plays 20-21 minutes a night and puts up ~45-50 points.

His downside is that he's pretty bad in his own end. He routinely makes poor decisions, takes way too many bad penalties and for a guy as big as he is, is allergic to contact. He often doesn't really know where to be. He needs to be insulated.

It didn't work in Ottawa because we had a logjam at LD, didn't have a need for another defenseman who was weak at actually playing defense (Chabot has that covered), and to be honest, his effort level last year was terrible. And reportedly, he wasn't well liked in his room.

I think there's some shock at the return because of his name recognition, but in reality, his value is probably a little bit lower than John Marino considering he's a pending UFA.

He's probably worth a 2nd + 3rd in an all futures package, and Ottawa took Jensen instead of the 2nd to fill in immediate need, which makes sense.

So all in, I think it's a fair deal.

Reactions: inthewings

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
This person makes crazy comments, he played 20 minutes a game for 78 games for a playoff team, had he dipped out on the team for some length of time they wouldn't have made the playoffs but he played hurt and people like Todd are shitting on him, Caps clearly would have been comfortable having him back as the 6th
Ok...? And at one point Jeff Schultz had 50 points on a team that had a 121 points. You're simply stating loose facts as if they have anything to do with Jensen and his play.

Jensen was flat out not good last year, has routinely been a guy that's taking ages to adapt to new teams/changes, and is going to be 34 when the season gets underway. For a guy who's game has been predicated on mobility and a sharp first pass, Father Time is only going to keep coming harder and harder for that first one. How long is it going to take him to adjust in Ottawa now? He never really did under Carbery.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Just awful asset management from Ottawa.

He didn't want to stay I get it, but he wasn't refusing to play other game for them. He would've been more useful for them in the playoffs next year if they make it, or did they suck again then flip him at the TDL.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Ok...? And at one point Jeff Schultz had 50 points on a team that had a 121 points. You're simply stating loose facts as if they have anything to do with Jensen and his play.

Jensen was flat out not good last year, has routinely been a guy that's taking ages to adapt to new teams/changes, and is going to be 34 when the season gets underway. For a guy who's game has been predicated on mobility and a sharp first pass, Father Time is only going to keep coming harder and harder for that first one. How long is it going to take him to adjust in Ottawa now? He never really did under Carbery.
Based on the degree of the dropoff of his play and the context of how thin the Caps were at D do you disagree that it was likely that he played injured? Had Ottawa asked for TVR instead of Jensen do you think the Caps wouldn't have wanted Jensen back at 6D? Do you think it's good that every fanbase unloads on every outgoing player on here?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Based on the degree of the dropoff of his play and the context of how thin the Caps were at D do you disagree that it was likely that he played injured? Had Ottawa asked for TVR instead of Jensen do you think the Caps wouldn't have wanted Jensen back at 6D? Do you think it's good that every fanbase unloads on every outgoing player on here?
1. There's no basis that he played injured, no evidence to back that up. The closest thing we can take to justify his play this year was something happened prior to the season in his personal life that kept him away from the team, but beyond that no I don't think injury plays a part. Hockey players love to tell you everyone is injured, it's an excuse with no backing.

2. I think they would have ran to the bank if Ottawa demanded either TVR or Jensen. Just because they'd have accepted him back is, again not some magic justification. Even if we just go with "Caps would love him back as the 6D!" that still means they traded a 6D and a far future 3rd for a top 4 guy. It makes no sense.

3. This has literally no bearing, and frankly is a bullshit point. I'm not unloading on Jensen, and how everyone else handles prior players has no bearing on my evaluation on what he played like last year.

Maybe have some real justifications with actual backing and I'd take your points under consideration.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
1. There's no basis that he played injured, no evidence to back that up. The closest thing we can take to justify his play this year was something happened prior to the season in his personal life that kept him away from the team, but beyond that no I don't think injury plays a part. Hockey players love to tell you everyone is injured, it's an excuse with no backing.

2. I think they would have ran to the bank if Ottawa demanded either TVR or Jensen. Just because they'd have accepted him back is, again not some magic justification. Even if we just go with "Caps would love him back as the 6D!" that still means they traded a 6D and a far future 3rd for a top 4 guy. It makes no sense.

3. This has literally no bearing, and frankly is a bullshit point. I'm not unloading on Jensen, and how everyone else handles prior players has no bearing on my evaluation on what he played like last year.

Maybe have some real justifications with actual backing and I'd take your points under consideration.
Having watched him I feel like he was healthy for stretches, but for the majority of the season he was lacking burst, so I reviewed NHL Edge player tracking data and while his maximum speed has remained mostly constant the last 3 seasons his number of 20+mph bursts plummeted by 1/3 last year despite getting more ice time.
This is the best I can do as far as data, but as 20 mph bursts are a counting stat and he is still in the 77th percentile in speed and normally guys legs don't go off a cliff like this I feel it's a good case.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Interesting trade. From Ottawa's perspective, I like that they are actively fixing a dysfunctional situation. It was a bad trade with Phoenix but that doesn't mean that they must waste another season just to try and save face. Rip off that band-aid.

Jensen was a rock solid player for the Caps with exceptional skating ability until last season but his play DID crater. Maybe there was an external reason, maybe there wasn't. He is at an age when decline should be expected. As another poster mentioned, Jensen takes a very long time to acclimate to new system/teammates. That's a negative for Ottawa.

Chychrun is one of many former Arizona players that we all assumed were somewhat held back by the team but are simply not as good as once thought. Considering his contract, it's a small risk to take for the Caps. One troubling aspect is that Chychrun is a left shooting D who scored 16 power play points last year and that number is likely to plummet on an Ovechkin based power play. There has never been any room there for a left hand D and that's unlikely to change.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I question the wisdom of focusing on a 3 year weighted average for so-called advanced stats for a player that is 34 and fell off quite a bit last season.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
This is the best I can do as far as data, but as 20 mph bursts are a counting stat and he is still in the 77th percentile in speed and normally guys legs don't go off a cliff like this I feel it's a good case.
Wouldn't this then indicate that he wasn't injured? If no injury, what else is there to explain the drop in play this year?

Like, I love JFresh's model but his WAR and Offesnive and Defensive indicators cratered this year. While some of it is adapting to the new team, this is something Jensen has always lagged behind in doing (took him almost a year and a half the first time to get his feet under him in Washington), the chances that a 34 year old is starting to hit the wall is very likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad