Confirmed Trade: [WSH/OTT] Jakob Chychrun for Nick Jensen and 2026 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
He can score goals for sure. I’m sure he’ll look great being the main guy taking one timers on the PP in Washington.

Outside of his shot he’s pillow soft, puts off a weird vibe, and seems completely unpredictable in his own end. He won’t take retaliatory penalties which is good but he will watch teammates get abused while looking straight at the ice to avoid potential conflict which seems not so good.

Good riddance.
If Jensen can play even average defence Ottawa has improved its D.

As a Caps fan I couldn't stand Jensen at first with the Caps. He picked it up and changed my opinion after initial start. He's older now and if you asked me if he would return Chychrun in a trade, I would have laughed. Jensen's only issue is his age and don't play him as a top two role. Dowd is going to miss his buddy. All the best!

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
What's amusing is that HF as a whole thought the Sens got Chychrun for cheap from Arizona when they traded a mid-1st and two 2nds for him.

That was the terrible deal, not this one. Chychrun wasn't anywhere near as good as he was sold to be.
no, ottawa just plain sucks. expecting him to fix their D issues was expectations he would never meet.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
no, ottawa just plain sucks. expecting him to fix their D issues was expectations he would never meet.

Or he could just specifically have played personally like shit as an individual… which is exactly what happened.
HE was a root problem, let alone “fixing Ottawas problems”

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Yeah... you see how that graph craters in '23-'24 right? He wasn't good, nobody could figure out why, and he's not getting younger.

If the Caps thought that guy was coming back they'd probably just keep him, right?
Well from what I've read online, he got paired with Sandin last season, which was a change from Orlov who he was paired with before. Chabot(or Sanderson) would be an upgrade over Sandin as a D partner.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Chychrun has his flaws, but he's also a big, physical dman who's good for about 40 points per year, who's reliable enough to have played 22+ MPG for each of the past 5 seasons. He also has a $4.6 mil cap hit, and is signed for just 1 more year, so very little risk in his contact. If he works out you can try to re-sign him (he's just 26 years old), while if he doesn't work out, there's no long commitment.

Yeah, he's not worth the 12th overall + two 2nds that Ottawa paid for him about a year ago, but he IS worth more than a 3rd and Jensen. Very poor return/asset management by the Sens.

Edit: my bad on the “physical” comment - he was reasonably physical earlier in his career, but is a lot less physical now. Had a career low in hits/60 (by a good margin) last year with the Sens: NHL Stats

Last edited:
Reactions: HTFN

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Well from what I've read online, he got paired with Sandin last season, which was a change from Orlov who he was paired with before. Chabot(or Sanderson) would be an upgrade over Sandin as a D partner.
It's an upgrade in that sense but that wasn't the only reason Jensen lacked in his defense. I have no doubt he's of a caliber to just snap to sense if it all works out really well, but when we're talking about what happened last year in Washington... he was a part of the mess. A guy they wanted to be one of the defensive stalwarts was just all over the place, and we couldn't figure out why exactly but it either had to be injury, age, or his noted inability to adapt to new systems out of the gate.

look, I love the guy and really appreciated the silent steady underrated play but for whatever reason he just didn't have it this year, and I'm worried he might not get it back as time goes on given his age. Like I said, if the Caps thought he'd bounce back he would still be there, I don't mind them taking a flier on a younger D with work to do.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Sens fleeced. Kept searching other sites if the small return had typo errors. Could have been a better return elsewhere. Easily the worst deal this month.

Congrats to the Caps.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Chychrun has his flaws, but he's also a big, physical dman who's good for about 40 points per year, who's reliable enough to have played 22+ MPG for each of the past 5 seasons. He also has a $4.6 mil cap hit, and is signed for just 1 more year, so very little risk in his contact. If he works out you can try to re-sign him (he's just 26 years old), while if he doesn't work out, there's no long commitment.

Yeah, he's not worth the 12th overall + two 2nds that Ottawa paid for him about a year ago, but he IS worth more than a 3rd and Jensen. Very poor return/asset management by the Sens.

He's really not very physical.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
Jensen was hot garbage in DC last year. Completely fell off a cliff. The notion that he’s a solid 3/4 is very far off base. At this point you’re lucky if he’s your 6th. He had “personal” issues going on last year. Maybe that is cleared up now? But he’s certainly not nearly the player he once was.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

That he most certainly is not. We wished he was.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What's amusing is that HF as a whole thought the Sens got Chychrun for cheap from Arizona when they traded a mid-1st and two 2nds for him.

That was the terrible deal, not this one. Chychrun wasn't anywhere near as good as he was sold to be.
They claimed giving a 7th overall pick for Debrincat plus a 2nd was a steal too.

Buy high, sell low.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
They claimed giving a 7th overall pick for Debrincat plus a 2nd was a steal too.

Buy high, sell low.
Personally, I was in favour of both the Chychrun and Debrincat trades at the time — but I’m not a professional hockey scout. Watching Debrincat for a year in Ottawa I was mildly disappointed but would have been happy to sign him to a long term deal at a reasonable cap hit. Good player, just not quite as good as his Chicago stats indicate.

After watching Chychrun for more than 1 season in Ottawa, the disappointment was huge. Very one dimensional and outright bad in some areas. No way that the Sens should have given up what they did to get him.

We’ll see if in a better situation in Washington if the flaws in his game are masked. But will not surprise me at all if he Caps just let him walk next summer.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

If Chychrun is a big, physical DMan, so is Chabot. If he’s reliable, so is the Ottawa transit system.

I think this is a great trade for Washington but Chychrun sucked and sulked in Ottawa. If Jensen can be a no-nonsense #4, Sens will be thrilled with this trade.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Jensen was hot garbage in DC last year. Completely fell off a cliff. The notion that he’s a solid 3/4 is very far off base. At this point you’re lucky if he’s your 6th. He had “personal” issues going on last year. Maybe that is cleared up now? But he’s certainly not nearly the player he once was.
This person makes crazy comments, he played 20 minutes a game for 78 games for a playoff team, had he dipped out on the team for some length of time they wouldn't have made the playoffs but he played hurt and people like Todd are shitting on him, Caps clearly would have been comfortable having him back as the 6th

Reactions: HeyMattyB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad