Proposal: WSH - EDM

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Edit. Puljujarvi obviously isnt avaivable (for this return atleast) so lets move on from that.

Bowey for Benson.?

Original effort:

ok, im not good with proposals and shouldnt be doing this. But its summer, office is quiet and i have nothing to do at work so just for the fun of it:

Capitals gives:

Andre Burakovsky (LW)
Lucas Johansen (LD)
+

Edmonton gives:

Jesse Puljujarvi (RW)
Tyler Benson (C)

Why?

Its the famous EDM needs d-prospects take, thats maybe aging out. But here Oilers gets a top4-projected LD thats already been growing to the projection couple years in and should be 1-2 AHL seasons away from making his mark at the big league. Was drafted late first round 2016. On the other hand Caps have a surplus of D-prospects and they are good while trading one for ”needs”. And the need is empty glaring offensive talent-pool after the guys who are already up. Tyler Benson was drafted early second round in the same draft as Johansen, but i admit that i dont know too much of this guy. Has decent stats from juniors and made a good AHL debut last year in. This isnt the main swap on the deal though.

Burakovsky is 3 years older than Puljujarvi, and so is he bit more mature. Still young and although he havent really bursted out, its coming. Reirden might get it done next year, but we will have some decisions to be done if that happens. So if we can make the decision right away, why not? Bura also played on the same line with McDavid in juniors and they had chemistry there, so it might be a huge homerun if they can get it going in the NHL aswell. Puljujarvi has a monster upside and that makes him more valuable as Burakovsky, but not by a crazy margin as he havent been able to elevate it (yet) in Edmonton. Caps like themselves some size on the wings, and Pulju brings that too along with the upside. Also helps out the upcoming cap-takes next summer.

Does it make any sense for Oilers? Do other Caps fans hate it? What would Caps need to add? Should we take one part of it and just take a look at Johansen-Benson or Bura-Pulju swap?

My suggestion for the + is conditional first. Its first if Puljujarvi scores more goals than Burakovsky next year. If not it changes to 3rd. Same amount and its 2nd.

So theres that, good 12 minutes killed off the workday and maybe ill get another 12 gone reading how hfboards bashes me :)

Last edited:

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Edmonton is already thin on RW and a log jam on LD/LW positions.

he havent really bursted out, its coming

I believe this would be Burakovsky's contract year. If he does break out, Edmonton could not afford another big contract unless they move out one of Lucic or Nuge's contract to make it work. I don't see Lucic going back playing in the East anymore since he prefers playing in the West. Washington can't take in Nuge's 6m contract either since that will give them 2.2m in cap space with Tom Wilson and Madison Bowey to sign. Washington's current cap space is 8.2m
There's also Nurse's contract that needs to be factored as well. I'm not sure how much he'll be making or whether if the Oilers are going to bridge him or go long term. Edmonton currently has 4.9m in cap space.

This is not going to work at all.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
ok, im not good with proposals and shouldnt be doing this. But its summer, office is quiet and i have nothing to do at work so just for the fun of it:

Capitals gives:

Andre Burakovsky (LW)
Lucas Johansen (LD)
+

Edmonton gives:

Jesse Puljujarvi (RW)
Tyler Benson (C)

Why?

Its the famous EDM needs d-prospects take, thats maybe aging out. But here Oilers gets a top4-projected LD thats already been growing to the projection couple years in and should be 1-2 AHL seasons away from making his mark at the big league. Was drafted late first round 2016. On the other hand Caps have a surplus of D-prospects and they are good while trading one for ”needs”. And the need is empty glaring offensive talent-pool after the guys who are already up. Tyler Benson was drafted early second round in the same draft as Johansen, but i admit that i dont know too much of this guy. Has decent stats from juniors and made a good AHL debut last year in. This isnt the main swap on the deal though.

Burakovsky is 3 years older than Puljujarvi, and so is he bit more mature. Still young and although he havent really bursted out, its coming. Reirden might get it done next year, but we will have some decisions to be done if that happens. So if we can make the decision right away, why not? Bura also played on the same line with McDavid in juniors and they had chemistry there, so it might be a huge homerun if they can get it going in the NHL aswell. Puljujarvi has a monster upside and that makes him more valuable as Burakovsky, but not by a crazy margin as he havent been able to elevate it (yet) in Edmonton. Caps like themselves some size on the wings, and Pulju brings that too along with the upside. Also helps out the upcoming cap-takes next summer.

Does it make any sense for Oilers? Do other Caps fans hate it? What would Caps need to add? Should we take one part of it and just take a look at Johansen-Benson or Bura-Pulju swap?

My suggestion for the + is conditional first. Its first if Puljujarvi scores more goals than Burakovsky next year. If not it changes to 3rd. Same amount and its 2nd.
But it is also not true that the Oilers lack defensive prospects
So theres that, good 12 minutes killed off the workday and maybe ill get another 12 gone reading how hfboards bashes me :)
As others have said this does not work for the Oilers for a number of reasons. The first being cap space. But it is not true that the Oilers need more defensive prospects, particularly at Johanen's level. And certainly not more than they need skilled wingers.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
We're not remotely ready to give up on Pulju yet. He was one of the youngest players in the NHL this past season. He has all the tools, I think he just needs a bit more time to put things together. Again, he's still very young. We also need RWers more than LWers, and Pulju as a right-shot is suited for being a RWer. Our D prospect pool is also fine, and our top-3 is set with Nurse, Klefbom and Larsson. If Bouchard or Bear steps up this or next season -- or if someone else surprises -- we're fine for the foreseeable future with our top-4, and have competent D that can play bottom pairing in Russell, Benning, Sekera (can fill in top-4 if his mobility is back), Gravel, and tons of prospect that might grab a spot like Mantha, Jones, Lagesson, Marino, Lowe etc. I'm very confident our D will be fine, and I'm not interested in trading Pulju for yet another unproven D prospect when we have tons, even if many may not project as high as Johansen. And as I mentioned our top-4 fairly likely looks to be set sooner than later, and Johansen is no guarantee anyway. Also, we have tons of LD prospects. Just not a fit at all, and we're not looking to trade Pulju or any top forward prospect for that matter, as we're pretty thin in that area. So it's just not going to happen.

At this point if you want Pulju you'd have to pay more than you'd be willing to, in all honesty. There's no realistic deal to be had for Pulju at this point, I'll just tell you straight up. Wasn't a bad attempt, but we're just not interested in trading Pulju for a package like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
In my opinion the Edmonton prospects have higher ceilings, both guys have top 6 potential. Edmonton needs Pool Party to stick since our RW is so thin. Dont really see the benefit here for Edmonton.

I also think highly of Benson, if he can stay healthy for a few seasons I think he'll surprise everyone.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
we do not need LD--those we have falling out of our collective arses

LD--Klefbom and Nurse

at the NHL Johnson is a complete unknown and his value is more to the team that owns his rights then to the team trading for him

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not much point in this from Edmonton. Puljujarvi has a ton of untapped potential and Johansen doesn’t bring anything we don’t already have. If you flipped Johansen to Bowey instead you might get Edmonton fans interested, but interested or not we can’t make much for moves unless we’re dumping salaries.

As an aside I’ve seen a few people mention that Puljujarvi’s summer training in Finland is going incredibly well and he looks like a monster. He lost a full offseason when he hurt his knee a couple years back. Really hope we see a breakout.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Not much point in this from Edmonton. Puljujarvi has a ton of untapped potential and Johansen doesn’t bring anything we don’t already have. If you flipped Johansen to Bowey instead you might get Edmonton fans interested, but interested or not we can’t make much for moves unless we’re dumping salaries.

As an aside I’ve seen a few people mention that Puljujarvi’s summer training in Finland is going incredibly well and he looks like a monster. He lost a full offseason when he hurt his knee a couple years back. Really hope we see a breakout.

Bowey for Benson? Might work for Caps.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The value isn't ridiculous, but despite popular opinion, the Oilers have far less organizational depth at forward than defense. We have 2 good RD prospects, decent LD prospects Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse and Benning are all young or in the middle of their prime - but our forward prospect cupboard is relatively bare.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Bowey for Benson? Might work for Caps.

What's going on with Bowey? I loved his ability in junior, is he not progressing, or is he just stuck behind depth? I loved his game in junior, but wondered how it would translate to the NHL. I'd bring him in for Benson I think because I do think he is (or was?) a better prospect, but it doesn't help our areas of greatest weakness.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
What's going on with Bowey? I loved his ability in junior, is he not progressing, or is he just stuck behind depth? I loved his game in junior, but wondered how it would translate to the NHL. I'd bring him in for Benson I think because I do think he is (or was?) a better prospect, but it doesn't help our areas of greatest weakness.

Bit of both. He might break out but as it is his getting stuck in depth and is cooking slowly. Nisky & Carlson are there obviously and Djoos just sort of passed him in depth charts last year.

Also we have few other RD prospects incoming. We should be looking to trade from the obvious strength (blueline prospects) to get some future offense.

Orlov (4 years) - Niskanen (2 years)
Kempny (4 years) - Carlson (8 years)
Incoming veteran? - Djoos (RFA next summer)

Bowey (RFA)
Alexeeyev (1st rounder 18)
Johansen (1st rounder 16)
Fehervary (2nd rounder 18)
Siegenhalert (2nd rounder 16)
Hobbs (progressing Djoos-alike)
Lewington (interesting project)
Williams (5-7 potential)
..and more

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Hard pass from the Oilers. We're fine without Johansen because he just adds to the leftorium on the left side which is our most saturated position. We'll also keep Pulju the young, high picked, boatloads of potential, confidence issue winger over Burakovsky, the older, way less upside, confidence issue winger. I'm perfectly fine with keeping Pulju unless we get someone same age or younger with similiar or more upside. The kid is physically a rock and plays a Blake Wheeler style of game. Bigger guys take longer to develop. If he keeps following the Wheeler career path, we will have a hell of a core piece moving forward. It took Wheeler until his d+4 year to put up 45 points when he finally reached the NHL. I think Jesse has a good shot at 45 next season. Again, no reason to move him unless the guy we get back is similar age or younger with similiar or more upside.

If you would move Burakovsky/Vrana for picks, I would inquire. Don't see a reason for you to do that though. I would be down for a Benson for Johansen/Bowey swap. What do you think about that?

Last edited:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
More than anything else, the Caps have been going for it for several years now and that has meant prioritizing vets at the position.

Going into the 2018-19 season, they have a new coach and the pressure relief of a Cup win. You figure kids will get more opportunity.

The bigger issue for Bowey is that Djoos made the team ahead of him, and Johansen, Siegenthaler and Connor Hobbs are pushing. Ferhervary just signed. The team has good depth on defense and their very good top four of Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov and Kempny is all signed for three more years. Djoos has one more year on his ELC. They may bring in another vet too (Orpik at a lesser contract or someone else). Bowey, or any other kid, is going to have to bump someone -- or hope for injuries, for which the Caps are probably due.

My take on the original proposal: The guy taken at #4 in 2016, just two years ago, is likely not yet in play. JP is only 20, and still has much untapped potential.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
More than anything else, the Caps have been going for it for several years now and that has meant prioritizing vets at the position.

Going into the 2018-19 season, they have a new coach and the pressure relief of a Cup win. You figure kids will get more opportunity.

The bigger issue for Bowey is that Djoos made the team ahead of him, and Johansen, Siegenthaler and Connor Hobbs are pushing. Ferhervary just signed. The team has good depth on defense and their very good top four of Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov and Kempny is all signed for three more years. Djoos has one more year on his ELC. They may bring in another vet too (Orpik at a lesser contract or someone else). Bowey, or any other kid, is going to have to bump someone -- or hope for injuries, for which the Caps are probably due.

My take on the original proposal: The guy taken at #4 in 2016, just two years ago, is likely not yet in play. JP is only 20, and still has much untapped potential.

Correct. All JP needs is time. 10 goals at evens and solid fancies is nothing to sniff at.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Aren't the Oilers still really high on Benson? like isn't he still expected to be an NHL player? i keep seeing his names in proposals suddenly. As for Puljujarvi he did show some improvement last season. The Oilers i'm sure aren't going to give up on him just yet. If he stagnates this year then yea maybe it's time to move on.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Had we not drafted Bouchard this trade would've made a lot of sense. As it stands we need cheap wingers on ELC's.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Aren't the Oilers still really high on Benson? like isn't he still expected to be an NHL player? i keep seeing his names in proposals suddenly. As for Puljujarvi he did show some improvement last season. The Oilers i'm sure aren't going to give up on him just yet. If he stagnates this year then yea maybe it's time to move on.
The reason you see his name is because he is one of the prospects we have that we'd be willing to give up in a trade. Bear/Bouchard/Yamo aren't available and Benson is right below those guys along with Jones on how they are valued by other teams.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad