Confirmed Trade: [WSH/CGY] Andrew Mangiapane for 2025 (Colorado) 2nd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Not sure what Calgary is thinking. If they are tanking and offloading Markstrom/Magiapane for draft capital- well doesnt MTL get their first round pick next season.

And if they are doing this to create cap space and will go hard in UFA signings this offseason to build a competitive roster, well this doesnt make sense either. Since most UFA signings you have to overpay for, and most come with term. You dont build a team with UFA signings, and the whole reason to trade AM was because he was overpaid

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not sure what Calgary is thinking. If they are tanking and offloading Markstrom/Magiapane for draft capital- well doesnt MTL get their first round pick next season.

And if they are doing this to create cap space and will go hard in UFA signings this offseason to build a competitive roster, well this doesnt make sense either. Since most UFA signings you have to overpay for, and most come with term. You dont build a team with UFA signings, and the whole reason to trade AM was because he was overpaid

No.
Montreal won’t get out first if it’s under 10. Hence why we’re moving all these pieces out.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Bond

May 10, 2012
You and I both know that ownership loves doing that.
Let’s give Conroy a July 1st with cap space. I think Treliving loved doing it. Worst part of his GMing.

If Wolf gets completely overwhelmed that of course could drop us down more but it's just as likely that we have some more break out players. I know people hate the mushy middle results, especially in Calgary but that's how I see it playing out.
That’s just because you are a jaded Flames fan lol. I understand the feeling. This team is bad tho.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Let’s give Conroy a July 1st with cap space. I think Treliving loved doing it. Worst part of his GMing.

That’s just because you are a jaded Flames fan lol. I understand the feeling. This team is bad tho.

I'd be fine if the team was tanking level bad this year. I just don't think it is, nor is that their plan.

And this summer will likely include a few threads about "wtf are Calgary doing bringing in quality players"

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I don't want UFAs, they're expensive and on long term.

I want overpaid guys that no longer fit on their teams cap structure but are still decent.
Well, my point is that guys like Zadorov, Brodie, Tanev probably not coming back here as UFA

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
No.
Montreal won’t get out first if it’s under 10. Hence why we’re moving all these pieces out.
I see now. Flames have to tank hard enough to have a bottom-10 pick and give Floridas 1st.

This trade does make more sense now at it does help with the tank.

Theyll have to make some tank moves and offload another roster player or two to ensure they secure a bottom 10 finish. Even bottom 7 as the draft lotto could push them down 2-3 spots

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't understand why the Washington Capitals of all teams are trading high picks for win-now players, especially guys with only 1 year left on their deal.
Win-win. If he gets you a playoff appearance, cool. If you're out, no shortage of teams wouldn't want him for around a 2nd, especially when he'll be easier to fit on the cap for every team.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Good trade for the Caps, they add a good player for cheap. Worst case trade him at the deadline for similar value.

I see now. Flames have to tank hard enough to have a bottom-10 pick and give Floridas 1st.

This trade does make more sense now at it does help with the tank.

Theyll have to make some tank moves and offload another roster player or two to ensure they secure a bottom 10 finish. Even bottom 7 as the draft lotto could push them down 2-3 spots
It's likely a late first from Florida but it will get interesting if Florida pick doesn't transfer over.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Good trade for the Caps, they add a good player for cheap. Worst case trade him at the deadline for similar value.

It's likely a late first from Florida but it will get interesting if Florida pick doesn't transfer over.
Wouldnt the only way it wouldnt transfer over is if both Calgary and Florida picks were top 10 picks, and then MTL gets the better of the two picks

Hard to see Floridas pick being top 10, but you never know

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Typical Canadian team trade thread. Goes from discussion about the trade to a full on roster discussion that should be had on their team board. lol

Great trade for Washington for the simple fact they will be able to offload him at the deadline for at least a comparable pick, potentially even upgrading the pick since COL will be good this season. If he has a big contract year kinda year, he might be worth a late 1st at the deadline. At worst the Caps break even with the trade and get a offensive stop gap while we hold off the rebuild for at least another season.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Surprised he got a 2nd with no retention. He has been a decent 3rd line guy for the last 2 seasons, nothing more. Flames want Pelts in that spot beside Coleman and Backlund

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
What about Mangiapane? He does play both wings
Yeah of course he could play 2RW. Milano and Protas have both played LW so they could swap sides. Washington's coach (Carberry) tried all kinds of line combos last season and will definitely do so again.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Calgary was converting an existing asset into a future asset with the idea of replacing him with a free asset, i.e. a UFA such as DeBrusk or a drafted prospect.

Gaining an additional 5.8M of cap to play with and changing the roster composition (team dynamic) are additional benefits.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00