Confirmed Trade: [WSH/CGY] Andrew Mangiapane for 2025 (Colorado) 2nd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't care that Mangiapane falls a lot. I get sick of that narrative. 5.8M is too much for a small defensive winger who isn't likely to score more than 20 most seasons.
Well I do, I am sick of watching a professional falling on his skates half the time I watch him.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well I do, I am sick of watching a professional falling on his skates half the time I watch him.
Again, who cares? Nieuwendyk was on his ass just as much and is one of our top players of all time. He's an effective middle 6 winger who was being paid too much in a situation where we have too many middle 6 wingers.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
We aren't the Sharks still. I think we're the 4th or 5th worst team in the league. We still have 2 top pairing defensemen, a high end 2C and an elite shutdown line. We just have no premium pieces and no D or C depth.
So pretty much lacking elite point production, I see(unless you think Hube has a comeback in him). I assume that should give chances for decent pick next year.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So pretty much lacking elite point production, I see(unless you think Hube has a comeback in him). I assume that should give chances for decent pick next year.
Yes, we would have to get great goaltending to finish in the top 25 I think. The only young guys who will be ready to contributes significantly next year are Zary and Pospisil I think. Maybe Coronato.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Again, who cares? Nieuwendyk was on his ass just as much and is one of our top players of all time. He's an effective middle 6 winger who was being paid too much in a situation where we have too many middle 6 wingers.
Niewendyk scored on his ass. Mangiapane doesnt. Now you get to decide what we should care?

Anyway, that’s just a minor irritation. Bottom line, you are right he is an overpaid middle winger that we don’t need.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Niewendyk scored on his ass. Mangiapane doesnt. Now you get to decide what we should care?

Anyway, that’s just a minor irritation. Bottom line, you are right he is an overpaid middle winger that we don’t need.
I don't disagree Nieuwendyk scored on his ass and Mangiapane didn't. I just think the narrative that they guy in Revelstoke on 960 started about Mangiapane falling all the time doesn't matter. What matters is how effective he is. Tkachuk skated like a beer leaguer, but he was a good player for us. Regehr couldn't make a breakout pass that wasn't at someone's earhole, but he was a good player for us. Players have flaws. Mangiapane is a tiny human who goes to dirty areas with big humans. He's going to be on his ass a lot.

I'm shocked we got a 2nd without retention tbh. The winger market is going to be flooded this summer with similar caliber players that will want similar AAV's. The logic on trading for him vs signing a UFA is just lost on me.
Me too. I thought 3rd if we did it now without retention and we'd get the 2nd if we waited until the deadline or retained.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Mangiapane is alright, but one of the more frustrating players to watch. Falls a lot and hits goalies crests often.

Surprised we got more than a 5th for him. He's not good.
Too many people in this thread think this is the same Mangiapane that got hot for three months and scored 35 goals. He isn’t good. He’s not a “good, reliable middle six guy”. He sucks. One of the most frustrating players I’ve seen play for the Flames in a long time. So happy he’s gone

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Good luck in Washington Senor Snowpants

Just never had that same tenacity that got him that deal after signing his last contract. Pretty decent albeit overpaid middle 6 winger, quite good defensively. Little surprised the Flames didn't want to give him a chance to rehab his value but a 2nd is about as good as I'd figure they'd do. No retention is big too. I think he could do fit in well with the Caps.

Best part for the Flames is the cap space and roster space this move gives them.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Too many people in this thread think this is the same Mangiapane that got hot for three months and scored 35 goals. He isn’t good. He’s not a “good, reliable middle six guy”. He sucks. One of the most frustrating players I’ve seen play for the Flames in a long time. So happy he’s gone
Oof. Awful take. Good reliable middle six guy is exactly what he is. He's been top 5 in league wing defensive numbers for multiple seasons. He's good for around 40 points year in year out.

Reactions: jct45

Ledge And Dairy

I don't disagree Nieuwendyk scored on his ass and Mangiapane didn't. I just think the narrative that they guy in Revelstoke on 960 started about Mangiapane falling all the time doesn't matter. What matters is how effective he is. Tkachuk skated like a beer leaguer, but he was a good player for us. Regehr couldn't make a breakout pass that wasn't at someone's earhole, but he was a good player for us. Players have flaws. Mangiapane is a tiny human who goes to dirty areas with big humans. He's going to be on his ass a lot.

Me too. I thought 3rd if we did it now without retention and we'd get the 2nd if we waited until the deadline or retained.
I'm pretty confident we would get more than a 2nd at 50% at the deadline. But I'm genuinely shocked we moved him now, and got a 2nd for it. Like I get Calgary is reported to be targeting DeBrusk but why couldn't Washington just do the same?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm shocked we got a 2nd without retention tbh. The winger market is going to be flooded this summer with similar caliber players that will want similar AAV's. The logic on trading for him vs signing a UFA is just lost on me.

Well the logic there is Mangiapane is now playing for a new NHL contract, while a newly signed UFA has kicked their feet up having secured one.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Oof. Awful take. Good reliable middle six guy is exactly what he is. He's been top 5 in league wing defensive numbers for multiple seasons. He's good for around 40 points year in year out.
I might have been a little harsh. Was just sick of watching him fall all over the ice, mishandle the puck, get pushed around, shoot high and wide

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm pretty confident we would get more than a 2nd at 50% at the deadline. But I'm genuinely shocked we moved him now, and got a 2nd for it. Like I get Calgary is reported to be targeting DeBrusk but why couldn't Washington just do the same?
Maybe, values were kind of all over the place this TDL for wings. You had Zucker for a 6th, Toffoli for a 2nd and 3rd, Beauvillier for a 5th. I think Toffoli is a bigger piece than Mangiapane and the other 2 smaller. It's tough to say for sure.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I like this for Washington. Mangi is a good player. He's a bit overpaid for what he produces but he's shown capable of more in a better situation. A late 2nd is good value. I expect Mangi will produce more with Washington, especially if Washington keeps looking to add players.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I like this for Washington. Mangi is a good player. He's a bit overpaid for what he produces but he's shown capable of more in a better situation. A late 2nd is good value. I expect Mangi will produce more with Washington, especially if Washington keeps looking to add players.
Washington reminds me of the Flames at the end of the Iginla era. They're chasing something that isn't there.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Do Flames have a team left after this season?

Maybe they gonna tank and give rookies time to play even more.

We didn't have enough room on the wings last year for the rookies.

Pelletier/Coronato/Klapka should have gotten a lot more games imo. Mangiapane got passed by Zary, Pospisil, and Sharangovich last year as well. Then you got Huberdeau, Coleman, and Kuzmenko.

We had way too many wingers. Only 6/7 of those are playing and I'd be shocked if we didn't sign someone, Debrusk makes sense. That way you can dangle Kuzmenko and Sharngovich too if they don't resign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad