WSH, CBJ, or NYR? What if..

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Did you follow hockey prior to 04'? Serious question, not trying to be a jerk. The NHL came back after the 04' lockout with a completely different style. It came to be known as the "new-NHL" and has continued to develop since then. It's a much more open style game. They got rid of the red line and essentially destroyed the trap, making skilled players far more relevant and plugs much less so. It also instituted the cap.

Basically the NHL drastically changed after the first lockout and really didn't change much after the 2nd.

Generally when I look at teams successes/non-successes I also use the 04' lockout as the time period. But even if you want to look at more recent success, the Rangers are one of only two teams I believe (the Kings) to win a playoff round in each of the last three years, going to the ECF one season and the finals in another.

Any way you want to slice it, using the post lockout or the past couple years, the Rangers have been one of the leagues most successful teams.

I know we'll get the people that scream "cup only counts ARGHHHHHHH" but success can certainly be measured on different levels. Regardless of cups, I would argue the Rangers have probably been the most successful Eastern Conference franchise of the past 3 years and probably a top 5, if not top 3 in the last 10.

Lol yes I'm sorry you wasted your time writing all of that. I've watched hockey and understand how it was and now is. That wasn't my point.

My entire point is any date is arbitrary when there is so much turnover in rosters. You can't make a case of who you would or wouldn't want to face based on prior playoff success those teams have had.

Saying a team will be better these playoffs because they won a few rounds in the playoffs 5 years ago is ridiculous at best IMO.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Lol yes I'm sorry you wasted your time writing all of that. I've watched hockey and understand how it was and now is. That wasn't my point.

My entire point is any date is arbitrary when there is so much turnover in rosters. You can't make a case of who you would or wouldn't want to face based on prior playoff success those teams have had.

Saying a team will be better these playoffs because they won a few rounds in the playoffs 5 years ago is ridiculous at best IMO.

Turnover is a fair point, but I think in comparing the Rangers record post 05 lockout to the Caps makes a certain amount of sense. Why? Because that was the rookie season for both teams' franchise player.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Such a weak argument. I bet hypothetically if someone totally different happened, at least one person who follows your team would have complained. Yeah, maybe. Doesn't make it any less silly.

The Caps haven't done well against this faster version of the Rangers. You think they might not do well against CBJ, but we've seen them not do well against the Rangers multiple times now. If I were deciding for the Caps, I'd take CBJ for sure. Deciding for the Rangers, I'd take the Caps. Do not want to even run the risk of Dubi playing like a mad man and costing the Rangers a run. Plus, Holtby is more beatable than Bob when both are on their games.

I'd recommend proof reading before posting. Might help your point get across instead of just rambling.

We've played the Rangers one time this year, coming off a back to back and almost the entire month on the road, and looked better at even strength. This faster version of the Rangers is much easier to play against under Trotz than under Oates, who was an abortion of a coach. I'll take the Caps all day over the Rangers in the playoffs this year. I don't know if we'd beat a healthy Blue Jackets team.

RangersOwnNewYork*

I'd recommend proof reading before posting. Might help your point get across instead of just rambling.

We've played the Rangers one time this year, coming off a back to back and almost the entire month on the road, and looked better at even strength. This faster version of the Rangers is much easier to play against under Trotz than under Oates, who was an abortion of a coach. I'll take the Caps all day over the Rangers in the playoffs this year. I don't know if we'd beat a healthy Blue Jackets team.

Understand, I think the Caps are good, I just don't think you would beat a healthy rangers team either in a playoff series.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Early rounds I'd hate to play the Rangers because of Lundqvist...in the SCF, I'd love to play the Rangers because of Lundqvist.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
From Most to Least:

CBJ

After that it depends if you want to face Henrik or OV.
I'm not fearful of either. Maybe more of Henrik.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

So sorry to offend you with that one half of one word being wrong. I don't really see how that constitutes rambling though.

The Caps controlled the game, and did so in dramatic fashion, for one half of one period. How does that lead to the conclusion that the Rangers are easier to play against now? It's a sample size of one, and the Caps took it to the Rangers for 1/6 of the total playing time in a game that they lost.

If we're wiping the slate clean due to coaching changes, and not considering the playoff series in the recent past, the Rangers went to the finals with their new coach and the caps haven't had a chance to do anything yet.

You're more than free to think whatever you want, but you thinking that the Caps could beat the Rangers "all day" this year is based completely on feelings, and not at all in data or recent history. That's fine, but those two aren't the same.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This thread is overly ridiculous. People hating on the Rangers recent post-season success are just straight up wrong. The facts prove it. The only thing working against the Rangers sucesses in the post-season are that they don't have a cup since the lockout began. You know how many other teams don't have a cup since the lockout? 23.

Now, here's a list of the most playoff series won by teams since the lockout:

Chicago / Detroit - 12
Pittsburgh - 11
Boston / LA - 10
New York Rangers / Anaheim / San Jose - 8
Philadelphia - 7
Carolina / Vancouver - 6
Ottawa / Montreal / New Jersey - 5
Buffalo / New Jersey - 4
Edmonton / Washington - 3
Colorado / Dallas / Tampa Bay / Nashville - 2
St. Louis / Minnesota - 1

Not bad company to have.

Since we have these stats now, anyone care to fill me in as to what this "healthy Blue Jackets team" everyone is talking about has done that makes them so scary?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Early rounds I'd hate to play the Rangers because of Lundqvist...in the SCF, I'd love to play the Rangers because of Lundqvist.

Is this attempted trolling or are you legitimately saying he **** the bed in the Final? He didn't. He had a bad game 3, every other game he put the team in a position to win and was facing ridiculous chances. Anyone watching those games saw how Lundqvist was just purely under siege.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Is this attempted trolling or are you legitimately saying he **** the bed in the Final? He didn't. He had a bad game 3, every other game he put the team in a position to win and was facing ridiculous chances. Anyone watching those games saw how Lundqvist was just purely under siege.

Never said he was bad in them, settle down. I just Lundqvist will be remembered like Shea Weber and his Norris...one of the greatest goalies to never win the cup, along with CuJo

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
This thread is overly ridiculous. People hating on the Rangers recent post-season success are just straight up wrong. The facts prove it. The only thing working against the Rangers sucesses in the post-season are that they don't have a cup since the lockout began. You know how many other teams don't have a cup since the lockout? 23.

Now, here's a list of the most playoff series won by teams since the lockout:

Chicago / Detroit - 12
Pittsburgh - 11
Boston / LA - 10
New York Rangers / Anaheim / San Jose - 8
Philadelphia - 7
Carolina / Vancouver - 6
Ottawa / Montreal / New Jersey - 5
Buffalo / New Jersey - 4
Edmonton / Washington - 3
Colorado / Dallas / Tampa Bay / Nashville - 2
St. Louis / Minnesota - 1

Not bad company to have.

Playoff success, IMO, is measured in winning Cups/Championships. Who gives a **** how many series a team has won if they haven't won a Cup this century, on in the Caps case, ever?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Since we have these stats now, anyone care to fill me in as to what this "healthy Blue Jackets team" everyone is talking about has done that makes them so scary?
Intimidated the heck out of Sidney Crosby and friends, mostly. We were going to build on that, but then the Hockey Gods decided against letting us ice a complete roster. :)

We haven't got the established history; just the optics and upside. We'll see how that goes in April.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Societal confrontations are entertaining. This board really could be a case study on attribution error.

C'mon Caps fans.
Did a lack of PPs cause the Caps to lose to the Rangers in 2013? Maybe but only because their coach basically created an offensive system around getting PPs and when those dry up in the playoffs...well...bye bye goals. But at the same time, Rangers fans are hockey fans so they get pissed off when penalty numbers aren't in their favor as well, so they should understand why this could and is used as an excuse of sorts. (Personally I'd rather have PPs be 4-0 than more even with "make-up" calls)

While I am generally someone who does not like to look at past successes or failures as proof for future success or failure (especially under drastically different circumstances), I understand that fans do this. I don't see why fans of teams wouldn't fear the NYR more than the Caps for reasons of more recent playoff success.

While I am generalizing a little bit, I am very surprised to see the Caps fans defending their own team in this thread with how much trashing and bashing goes on in the Caps Boards. Why are we defending an Oates led team, when we regularly refer to him as the worst coach since Jack Reilly? I agree that Rangers fans may be a little boasty at the present, but that's what happens when you played for the Cup 6 months ago.

Having said all of this, I don't know why anyone is surprised that Caps fans think the Caps are the best of the three, Rangers fans think the Rangers are the best of the three, and BJ fans are basking in Bob's aura. 'Tis the nature of the beast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad