GDT: WQSF | II | "Response" | Oilers @ Canucks | 5.10.24 | 8:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
12G 18A 30 pts mostly bottomsix play, zero PP. What trash. What is Brown, Perry etc in view of this determination.

McLeod is the 2nd fastest dude on the team that when properly used is good at zone exits and gaining Ozone. But not gonna get a lot done with who he's playing with. Nobody can stir dead players like Brown and Perry back to life and nobody here has. Not McD, Not Drai, not anybody. Oh but here Ryan Mcleod we got this useless sod, your problem now. Make Connor Perry Brown happen. f*** I can't stop.
Not to mention he is very good at suppressing shots and winning his matchups handily. He did so in game 1 as well and was our best face off man. Last year, when he matched up against Eichel, he was winning that matchup handily. It's when Woody, inexplicably, went away from that match up and lined up McD that Eichel took over.

McLeod doesn't hit- but he is excellent defensively and kills opposition plays.

McLeod can stop playing sissy hockey and get in front of the net. Nuge needs to do something like hit the net. Foegle blows and gave up on him. If you have no hope of scoring, contribute something else . Hit, forecheck, fight, disrupt, Something...
McLeod has been excellent. He is winning all his matchups, suppressing shots, winning faceoffs, and killing penalties. He is doing more than his part

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not to mention he is very good at suppressing shots and winning his matchups handily. He did so in game 1 as well and was our best face off man. Last year, when he matched up against Eichel, he was winning that matchup handily. It's when Woody, inexplicably, went away from that match up and lined up McD that Eichel took over.

McLeod doesn't hit- but he is excellent defensively and kills opposition plays.

McLeod has been excellent. He is winning all his matchups, suppressing shots, winning faceoffs, and killing penalties. He is doing more than his part
Mcleod even rides taller in saddle when he's with Kane/Drai. Players that are like that. Give him guys that engage physically and get in battles and he acts as if in Rome. But expecting him to be the catalyst on his own line. he's just not that player. he's an extremely good pk player and a good complimentary player and a pretty good puck exit and entry player.

if we didn't have allstar zone entry greats on the team people would more realize how important zone entries and establishing in ozone are. McLeod is one of our best forwards at that, when he's playing with any help at all.

Damn straight in the 90's people would more realize the skating with puck Skills Mcleod actually has. Would be among our better players in that era. Still, he's very useful.

Foegele and McLeod are two players that have to be elevated to get most out of them. But considering how little our top is doing EV why not do that?

Reactions: Ibanez

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Holy f*** I thought Gregor might get me pumped for this game but he’s basically been reading ads for tractors for the entire show. Except for when old lady Munser who used to ride bikes in circles tells everyone what Draisaitl and McDavid needs to do.

Just have LT on all day, Gregor go back to the farm and talk about tractors all day

• Haha
Reactions: Morpheus and oobga

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Mcleod is trash. Dude could have a breakaway and he'd probably peel back, curl and wait for help.

Or skate around the net...whichever is safer
Might dump it in a head off on a change….

Ok ok maybe that’s a stretch. But you get the point

He has some of the tools, but just rarely brings them all to a game

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Glad I’m not feeling alone in this.

10 years ago I would be foaming at the mouth about this game.

Now I’m more in the “hey that last game was garbage, I think I’ll skip the first period or two and see how are doing in the third”

I wonder on Kevin Lowe’s scale of fan where I sit? Tier 5?

Injuries are cruel and we’ve been fortunate this year. I was worried something would happen in the playoffs. I think Drai is sitting and these are just mind games

Hopefully we gut out a win. Would be nice for Connor to show up tonight…
I'm still very excite.

A wiseman one said its better to be watching playoffs and have your team in playoffs than have the alternative. Its always better, except if you're LA facing the Oilers. Or we could be Flames fans swallowing hard on all pride and cheer for the Canucks. lol Thats worse then giving them BJ's Thats some cuckolding shit. (whoops)

Actually nobody said that, I did lol. But I do feel like I'm on some kind of buzz and its just playoffs excitement naturally occurring.

Whatever happens this really is the best NHL playoff round since sometime before the pandemic. Every series is compelling.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I hope they're done with trying to sit back and not score while protecting a lead. It just about didn't work in game 5 vs the Kings then really bit them in game 1. They need to get a lot of shots on this goalie

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I hope they're done with trying to sit back and not score while protecting a lead. It just about didn't work in game 5 vs the Kings then really bit them in game 1. They need to get a lot of shots on this goalie
It never works long term, like the prevent in football, amazes me it is still a thing...It's not playing to win it's playing to not lose, it's for losers.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Might be in the minority most likely am but I think it would be better to have Leon sit tonight and throw Samwise in. Why risk making something worse from the cheap shots he’s very likely to take tonight? Gags has been waiting forever to play a playoff game in an Oilers sweater I say give him a shot while the series is young.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Knob was asked who would warmup in case those two can’t go. He replied with “they will warmup for themselves” then he was asked if they can’t go and he said Carrick.

Doesn’t that imply at least one of them is playing wouldn’t it be Carrick and gagner if both can’t go?

Henrique was already out last game, so both being out only opens one spot. I'm assuming if both go tonight, Brown draws out since they had him serve Skinner's penalty as that suggested they value the rest of the group more than him for killing penalties now.

Reactions: Navx94

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
It's the second round of the playoffs and I'm not as excited as I used to be for Oilers playoffs
Yah im the same, but its on purpose. I used to live and die by my sports teams. Oilers, Jays. Winning and losing had such a grip on my emotions that it was probably pretty unhealthy.

Ive learned to disconnect a bit and realize its just sports. Im especially happy that it doesn't have such a grip on me during the Mcdavid era, as we have a generational talent but might not have the supporting cast to get the job done . Mainly goaltending and defense.

It will be travesty if we dont get at least one with Mcdrai, but its trending in that direction. Who knows though Ovi eventually got one towards the end, maybe we will also.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yah im the same, but its on purpose. I used to live and die by my sports teams. Oilers, Jays. Winning and losing had such a grip on my emotions that it was probably pretty unhealthy.

Ive learned to disconnect a bit and realize its just sports. Im especially happy that it doesn't have such a grip on me during the Mcdavid era, as we have a generational talent but might not have the supporting cast to get the job done . Mainly goaltending and defense.

It will be travesty if we dont get at least one with Mcdrai, but its trending in that direction. Who knows though Ovi eventually got one towards the end, maybe we will also.

The only stress I get from them failing in any given year from this point is the concern that it ultimately leads to them moving on while still in their primes.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I'm still very excite.

A wiseman one said its better to be watching playoffs and have your team in playoffs than have the alternative. Its always better, except if you're LA facing the Oilers. Or we could be Flames fans swallowing hard on all pride and cheer for the Canucks. lol Thats worse then giving them BJ's Thats some cuckolding shit. (whoops)

Actually nobody said that, I did lol. But I do feel like I'm on some kind of buzz and its just playoffs excitement naturally occurring.

Whatever happens this really is the best NHL playoff round since sometime before the pandemic. Every series is compelling.
You’re not wrong. Playoffs is much better than not.

Some of this is contextual for me. New dad. Life is busy. Work is chaos. Something about the oilers games is giving me heightened anxiety which just isn’t healthy for me but I think there are other life factors contributing. So I need to take it in doses it seems to keep me sane.

Regardless. Let’s get that effing win.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011

I kinda made peace with that once we hired Holland. With Chia, we hired someone who destroyed Boston's cap and stripped them of depth. We suffered in the Chia years, and when we let him go, the upcoming GM was pretty much our final option to salvage McDrai's primes. Holland left Detroit in worse shape than Chia left Boston, and Nicholson chose to hire him without an interview. The other options before Holland became "available" were Kelly Mcrimmon, who's given Vegas a cup and made them annual contenders, and Bill Zito, who's vastly improved Florida, gotten them to the finals, are are probably the best team in the east right now.

I can't overstate how much of a failure Holland has been here- because we have 2 all time players- the rest of the roster just needs to be somewhat average. But, 5 years into his tenure, we have the worst starter of all the playoff teams, the worst 2nd pair in the playoffs by far, and a bottom 6 who hasn't been able to do anything in the playoffs while teams like Vancouver, Colorado and Dallas get scoring from their bottom 6 quite often. Add that to the fact that we have no prospects of note coming anytime soon, and nearly 10 million in dead cap next year between Campbell in the AHL, Brown's bonuses, Neal's buyout, AND a borderline 3rd pair 9.25 million dollar Dman....Holland has sewered this team as much as Chiarelli. We've won one more game in the playoffs in Holland's tenure than we did in Chiarelli's, and none past the 2nd round.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

Yep it used to affect my mood . Crazy when u think of it. Now I watch and cheer but realize it’s not worth stressing over can’t control the outcomes.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Actually neither is post injury Connor Brown. An astute club would have tried what they got in guys like Lavoie, Broberg etc months ago. Now is not necessarily the time, i agree but I would rather have young legs that can skate, hit and shoot. Lavoie ticks all those boxes. What box is Connor Brown ticking other than Friend of the other Connor?

People can't even say pk anymore because the pk was never better than when Brown wasn't even on it. In playoffs nonetheless.

ps Anything Brown can Gagner can do better. But its about who you know in this org. Sam is yesterdays many times discarded guy. The Rodney Dangerfield in the roster.

"Hey Sam, c'mon down. We'll give you a chance this time, really we will, ignore the other times this time for real samwise"

if he didn't love the Oilers so much he would have hung up. Most people would. I definitely would.
But as you say now is not the time with Lavoie. I would rather have Carrick or Gagner in over Brown.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
I'm still not over game 1, And I might never be if we lose this series.

IMO, this is almost a must win game considering Leon's injury and the possibility of Demko returning in game 5.

Reactions: Ibanez

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm still not over game 1, And I might never be if we lose this series.

IMO, this is almost a must win game considering Leon's injury and the possibility of Demko returning in game 5.
Yup.
After losing every reg season game and now game 1, they have to get a split on the road if you want to win without home ice. Pretty daunting task if they dont win tonight.

That said, get average goaltending, get CMD going a little bit more than game 1 and it will happen. Vancouver isn’t Colorado or Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad