Proposal: WPG - VAN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Feb 19, 2018
Say hypothetically the Canucks and Miller come to an agreement and he chooses to stay on a decent deal as Vancouver clearly knows he’s the play driver and most important forward on the team.
Winnipeg has been spinning its wheels for some time now and things look to be getting pretty stale like Paul Maurice suggested, they could use a shakeup theoretically.

WPG: Bo Horvat
VAN: Mark Scheifele

With Rumours of a rift between Bo and Miller
(I don’t see it) maybe both teams flip Centers as Bo looks like a playoff warrior and Scheiflele would give Vancouver a RHS Center down the middle.
Maybe some adds in there but with new management in Van I could see them being open to a shakeup due to no loyalties.

Reactions: platotld

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Canucks would have to add IMO as Scheifele brings a lot more offense (he says without checking any advanced stats).

EDIT

After looking up some basic numbers Vancouver would have to add a significant piece. Horvat is 1 year to UFA and he scores about 2/3 of what Scheifele does for similar money.

Feb 19, 2018
I don't see this going well, and the reason for the trade seems thin on both sides.
It’s because both teams have become a little stale and a core with Horvat and PLD down the middle would give Winnipeg a little younger option with Connor and other pieces around the same age.
Scheifele would be the same age as Miller and a RHS Center on the team. Trending water is the term I’d use for both teams.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Value is fine, but I'd rather just keep Horvat. He will sign his extension at 28, finding the right term and dollars for Scheifle at 31 would be far more challenging.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
As a Jets fan I don’t mind it so long as Bo would agree to extend with a reasonable cap hit. Always liked him and have watched him since his London days.
Values are close but I think Canucks add a touch just based on the face that FeFe definitely adds more offence than Bo does.
Rolling with PLD/Bo down the middle with Conner/Perfetti/Ehlers is a pretty good T6 for the foreseeable future.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Uhh if we could get Scheifele for Horvat alone? we take that 10 times out of 10. No take backs..Vancouver would need a good sweetener on this deal realistically.

This really isn't a terrible base for a hockey trade, Kudos

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Personally, I’d happily trade Scheifele, but that’s me. VAN needs to add here, but I’m sure it could be worked out.
Unfortunately, all signs point to Chevy going all in on this group and riding this roster out for the foreseeable future. Chevy likely gets the axe next season TDL if the Jets are out of the playoff picture again.
Then the new GM will do what Chevy should have and trade Scheifele and Wheeler and build around PLD, Connor, Ehlers, and Morrissey… assuming they agree to stick around.

Last edited:
Reactions: BKarchitect

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Horvat hits more, fights when needed, does much better taking faceoffs, kills penalties and...drastically underscores Scheifele when it comes to points, especially assists.

I don't think Jets fans are wrong in requesting more from Vancouver with Horvat. Scoring is more valued than the defensive side of the game, not that Scheifele is poor at that side of the game, but with Pettersson, Boeser and even Miller on the team, another high end top six forward isn't as good a fit as Horvat is, so adding what it sounds like would have to be added, wouldn't make a ton of sense for us either.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck
Feb 19, 2018
I feel both players will be used to a Canadian market and be able to handle the pressure. If the Canucks feel like Miller is actually the Captain going forward instead of a rift and stripping him of the C a move like this would make sense. Winnipeg gets a player who is a Captain of a NHL team and can play anywhere throughout your lineup. You get 2 years younger to build around their current core without losing much in terms of value. Horvat is a top face off, plays first PP and can be a part of your PK. You also save on the cap a bit to add overall depth.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I feel both players will be used to a Canadian market and be able to handle the pressure. If the Canucks feel like Miller is actually the Captain going forward instead of a rift and stripping him of the C a move like this would make sense. Winnipeg gets a player who is a Captain of a NHL team and can play anywhere throughout your lineup. You get 2 years younger to build around their current core without losing much in terms of value. Horvat is a top face off, plays first PP and can be a part of your PK. You also save on the cap a bit to add overall depth.

Yeah Horvat is 2 years younger but 1 year closer to UFA status which is a big red flag here.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah Horvat is 2 years younger but 1 year closer to UFA status which is a big red flag here.

Even if one wanted to say Horvat defensive play makes up for his lack of offensive ability compared to Mark…..in a cap era, especially a near flat period of the cap one does not get a PPG centre for an extra year without a pretty big add. Both are good players, both are in their prime. But One for one trade is a none starter IMO and all the Jets fans in this thread so far. I would consider the trade personally as long as the Nucks are adding, without an add I would have zero interest in the trade personally

Reactions: Snowman

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Even if one wanted to say Horvat defensive play makes up for his lack of offensive ability compared to Mark…..in a cap era, especially a near flat period of the cap one does not get a PPG centre for an extra year without a pretty big add. Both are good players, both are in their prime. But One for one trade is a none starter IMO and all the Jets fans in this thread so far. I would consider the trade personally as long as the Nucks are adding, without an add I would have zero interest in the trade personally

In a cap era, cap hit for those two years could get the team with Horvat a contributor there too. Perhaps not enough of one to make up for the difference in points, but a veteran role player can make a lot of difference for 1.6 million a season. Or that could be a factor in resigned another player that might get lost or have to hold out. All conditional benefits of course, but worth mentioning. And this might be my bias showing, but I don't think Horvat's going to get as much on his next contract as Schiefele is making now, if term is offered.

I'm not advocating the trade, I think I've been clear this was a bad thread to make and a bad offer to make, but I don't see the add being enormous here, despite Scheifele's obvious superiority in putting up points. I'm quite happy with Horvat, and Scheifele, while being a different style of player, is definitely the more desirable of the two.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Scoring is more valued than the defensive side of the game, not that Scheifele is poor at that side of the game,

No he definitely is that poor on that side and then some.

Frankly I think if you are just measuring them by what they are bringing in their current situations, it’s actually a pretty fair swap. The thing is Scheifele brings far more upside if he starts to care and play hard on all 200’ of ice every night. I don’t think it’ll happen in Winnipeg but the allure of some other franchise believing they can bring that out of him again should give him significantly more trade value than Horvat.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
No he definitely is that poor on that side and then some.

Frankly I think if you are just measuring them by what they are bringing in their current situations, it’s actually a pretty fair swap. The thing is Scheifele brings far more upside if he starts to care and play hard on all 200’ of ice every night. I don’t think it’ll happen in Winnipeg but the allure of some other franchise believing they can bring that out of him again should give him significantly more trade value than Horvat.

I've got to get my eye test kit together. I didn't think he was bad in the Jets' games I've watched. Huh. Maybe I'm just setting the bar at Boeser and Pettersson.

And I think that second paragraph is fair, but I also feel the defensive side of the game is easier for teams to fill, compared to being able to score, which again, Schiefele mops the floor with Horvat in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad