Waived: [WPG] G Kaapo Kahkonen waived by the Jets

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I guess someone other than Edmonton put in a claim for Lavoie?

Yeah it was reported yesterday that at least one team lower in priority also put in a claim, so Edmonton would have to waive Lavoie again to be able to send him to the AHL.

But since this is a thread about Kaapo Kahkonen.......

He did well enough for the Devils in a short stint after the deadline last year. Some of the fancy stats seemed to indicate that Kahkonen was a better goalie than his numbers with San Jose would indicate. But most of the goalie spots are filled right now, so we'll see if anybody puts in a claim. Saros isn't starting Nashville's opener but he seems to be skating so that appears to be a short term thing. I haven't kept track of Joseph Woll's prognosis.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Huh. I'd have bet Kahkonen would beat out Comrie. Guess not. I think he's still at least a potentially serviceable NHL backup. There are teams where i think he'd be an upgrade.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Huh. I'd have bet Kahkonen would beat out Comrie. Guess not. I think he's still at least a potentially serviceable NHL backup. There are teams where i think he'd be an upgrade.
Even if he's better, they might just value the extrao 150K they can bank over the difference in quality

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Buffalo I bet

Seemed like they wanted Luukkonen and Levi as the NHL duo with Reimer as the veteran #3 in the AHL. Not sure if they'd want to do the waiver dance with Kahkonen to get him to the AHL (ie, Edmonton with Lavoie). Or if they just would wait a few weeks for John Gibson to get cleared and then reclaim Reimer if/when Anaheim waives him to clear the roster spot.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
As a Jets fans, I really don’t understand this move.

Comrie, outside of one freakish outlier season with the Jets in 2021-22, hasn’t performed like a reliable NHL backup.

Kahkonen, outside of 1 or 2 rough seasons with the down bad Sharks, has performed like a solid NHL backup.

Comrie is by all accounts a great dude and teammate, so I’m pulling for him. But not sure how the Jets have him ahead of Kahkonen on the depth chart.

Reactions: surixon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad