Waived: [WPG] D Nate Schmidt placed on waivers by the Jets for the purpose of buyout

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I know this is a common excuse but it sounds like he was just tested positive for trace amounts of a banned substance that was likely in a supplement he took:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4808271

As someone who competes in powerlifting I have taken pre-workout that contained a stimulant that was on wada’s banned list without knowing at the time.

In Schmidt’s case he was still a very good defensemen for them after he was caught. On top of that I don’t see how steroids would help a player that much. As long as you have a solid build and are in good enough shape to skate well and play a lot of minutes then the cast majority of improving your game comes down to what you do at the rink. Look at most hockey players physiques, most of them have pretty big legs but not many of them look like they bench much more than 2 plates.

That's why I included those other factors in my post. Hard to say what amounts to what in these situations.

I dunno if I buy a 20 game suspension over an 'innocent mistake' either. These guys pump their bodies full of all sorts of stuff all season long. They have access to medical professionals that we don't. Most people(including me) have only a cursory understanding of what PEDs in pro sports actually means. Traditional steroids I can't see providing a major edge in hockey but science has gone beyond that recently. I really don't think you can underestimate the price guys will pay to get a competitive edge, there's millions of dollars at stake.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A good candidate for a steal on a 1 year deal. He's still a solid 3rd pairing D, would gladly take him on the Leafs.
Yep. Schmidt can still play. If he's on a team's bottom-pair, they could do a lot worse there. The problem is he was too expensive. He won't be on his next deal.

Nearly every team in the league should be looking at him for their third pair.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Was taken in the Vegas expansion draft from Washington. at the time was considered 1 of the big steals of the expansion draft.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
It was viewed as a rare win when Benning paid only a third round pick to take him from Vegas on one of their cap clearing binges (think it was when they needed to re-sign Pietrangelo) but requested a trade out after just one season of the Jim Benning/Travis Green/Nolan Baumgartner sh*t show going on in Van at the time. Smart guy to want to get out of that.

Hopefully he finds a good landing spot as he seems like a great guy who can still play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad