Value of: Would your team be interested in Jeff Skinner? And if so, how much retention would you demand?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Don't think so. Numbers are tempting but the rest of the package doesn't work. Would put him in the same category as Mike Hoffman. Their teams rarely make the playoffs.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Skinner is a good player. As soon as he got away form coach Kreuger, it's like he's 10 years younger. His huge 2022-23 season won't be repeated, but he still hit 24 goals and almost 50 points last year. Skinner's a talented scorer. You won't find too many neutral fans that like Skinner more than me.

But 3 more years at 9 million? That's a tough sell. You can get similar production form a free agent for 4 million ish. So why even consider trading for Skinner unless he's half price at 4.5?

Reactions: Eegs

Krieger Bot

Apr 30, 2007
Skinner is a good player. As soon as he got away form coach Kreuger, it's like he's 10 years younger. His huge 2022-23 season won't be repeated, but he still hit 24 goals and almost 50 points last year. Skinner's a talented scorer. You won't find too many neutral fans that like Skinner more than me.

But 3 more years at 9 million? That's a tough sell. You can get similar production form a free agent for 4 million ish. So why even consider trading for Skinner unless he's half price at 4.5?
Yeah I figure no one is realistically touching Skinner at $9 million. I'm not sure if the Sabres will actively try to unload him. But if they do, I'd imagine their ideal scenario involves finding a couple teams interested in adding him to their second line, and trying to get one of them to bite at an AAV around $5.5 million. I'm curious if any fanbases are interested in him at a price like that.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
3 Years.
33 34 35 season

I could see a team taking him on at 2 million retained.
I do not think a lot would be recieved though. A B prospect or 2nd/3rd if the goal was just to shed 7 million. Wouldn't be horrible.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not interested, even with retention. Any extra cap space we need to build out our depth, we don't have room for another big contract. He's a good player, and if he was a free agent, I wouldn't be upset if we signed him, but that contract just makes it impossible.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I'd be interested in him but it would have to be around

Norris for Skinner straight up?

If the Sabers take Norris for him I dont think the Sens would need retention especially with Norris's injury history, I think Norris has a longer contract so I don't know if buffalo would be interested in that

Krieger Bot

Apr 30, 2007

If the Sabers take Norris for him I dont think the Sens would need retention especially with Norris's injury history, I think Norris has a longer contract so I don't know if buffalo would be interested in that
Edit: I was moving too fast and responded to the wrong post.

Other sabres fans might disagree, but I don't think I'd be willing to take on Norris. Too much risk there. What I'm really interested in is getting out of his deal with minimal cap consequences.

Last edited:

Krieger Bot

Apr 30, 2007
3 Years.
33 34 35 season

I could see a team taking him on at 2 million retained.
I do not think a lot would be recieved though. A B prospect or 2nd/3rd if the goal was just to shed 7 million. Wouldn't be horrible.
Yeah I don't think Skinner would return anything particularly significant. I'm moreso wondering if there's a decent team out there that would take him on for close to free if the price was right. Maybe someone like Nashville? Or maybe the islanders wouldn't demand much retention if we agreed to handle pageau's buyout for them?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's not really much of a debate.

Skinner has said -- repeatedly -- that his #1 priority is being close to home (Toronto). It's why he was fine with being traded from Carolina to Buffalo. There is a VERY, VERY limited number of trade options that he'd be likely to accept a trade to. Toronto for sure....maybe Detroit, maybe Ottawa. That'd be about it.

There are basically 2 scenarios for Skinner -- he's a Buffalo Sabre in 24/25 or he's bought out.

Krieger Bot

Apr 30, 2007
It's not really much of a debate.

Skinner has said -- repeatedly -- that his #1 priority is being close to home (Toronto). It's why he was fine with being traded from Carolina to Buffalo. There is a VERY, VERY limited number of trade options that he'd be likely to accept a trade to. Toronto for sure....maybe Detroit, maybe Ottawa. That'd be about it.

There are basically 2 scenarios for Skinner -- he's a Buffalo Sabre in 24/25 or he's bought out.
His NMC definitely poses a problem. But I'm a bit skeptical of the notion that there's nowhere he'd accept a trade to. I mean, hypothetically, Ken Holland calls and says he thinks Skinner is the perfect compliment to his top 6. Skinner is definitely saying no to that? Why? Because it's easier to get home from Buffalo a few times per year? I think that's debatable.

I don't know if an opportunity good enough for Skinner to waive will come to pass. Or if any fanbases at all are interested in him for that matter. But it'd be good to know if any are

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006

Definitely not taking on a far worse contract for longer in exchange for Skinner. I'm still dumbfounded by that Norris deal.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
His NMC definitely poses a problem. But I'm a bit skeptical of the notion that there's nowhere he'd accept a trade to. I mean, hypothetically, Ken Holland calls and says he thinks Skinner is the perfect compliment to his top 6. Skinner is definitely saying no to that? Why? Because it's easier to get home from Buffalo a few times per year? I think that's debatable.

I don't know if an opportunity good enough for Skinner to waive will come to pass. Or if any fanbases at all are interested in him for that matter. But it'd be good to know if any are
Plenty of other players have exercised their NTC or NMC to avoid a trade to Edmonton, it's not far fetched to think Skinner would do the same. He had a full NMC when he accepted the trade to Buffalo. He definitely didn't do that expecting them to be cup contenders considering they had just finished dead last in the league and have a history of being on players no trade lists.

Reactions: Zman5778 and banks

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020
As a Sabres fan, the main issue for me is, when we chat about buying out or trading with retention how much more production does he have at 32 years old?

He’s also a guy who was literally one of the worst defensive forwards in the league last year, and needs to be sheltered. His strength is that he is still a good 5 on 5 scorer, but he’s average on the PP at best.

Other teams are also asking these same questions.

And the problem with Buffalo with the Skinner defenders who want to keep him in particular is that this roster is not constructed properly, too much of the same type of players on the roster and in the system on a team that needs to add a different type forward to the mix? He’s also blocking Jiri Kulich from making the roster IMO because I don’t see a clear spot for him on the roster next season because every top nine spot is spoken for with Skinner here except for 3C.

We’d have to retain 50% to move him to get teams remotely interested. Also, Skinner would have to waive his NMC, which you can’t forget either.

If Skinner didn’t have that NMC, he’d be a lot easier to move at 4.5 million, but with that clause, in order to get him to a team that he would accept a trade to, you’d likely have to attach 11th overall with him to make a team interested.

Skinner wants to make the playoffs too. Think the dude doesn’t know it’s embarrassing to be a guy in the league to play 1000 games with no playoff games? He’s only waiving for a playoff team, and not a lot of playoff teams will want him without a kicker.

Best moves are keep him or buy out, and by the buyout option for Buffalo is not as bad as people make it out to be. The cap is going up every year, and the majority of the team is locked up long term. If it doesn’t work with this core, you’re likely rebuilding again. The next big contract questions will be Tuch, Quinn, Peterka, and Byram and what to pay the goalies. It’s a doable.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
To SJ: Skinner, 11th, 43rd, Buff 3rd 2025
To Buffalo: 14th, $9M in cap room

I'd prefer to keep 14 and trade 33 without the picks coming back, but don't think Buffalo needs to do that. $22M cash over three years doesn't kill San Jose as Smith and Celebrini's ELCs aren't up for 3 years, and we likely won't approach the cap.

San Jose gets a top 6 forward to play with Smith or Celebrini, increases their chance of grabbing one of the top 6 d-men, and a couple future picks. Skinner's not perfect to shelter the young centers, but we're a long way from only seeing perfect as an upgrade.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
To SJ: Skinner, 11th, 43rd, Buff 3rd 2025
To Buffalo: 14th, $9M in cap room

I'd prefer to keep 14 and trade 33 without the picks coming back, but don't think Buffalo needs to do that. $22M cash over three years doesn't kill San Jose as Smith and Celebrini's ELCs aren't up for 3 years, and we likely won't approach the cap.

San Jose gets a top 6 forward to play with Smith or Celebrini, increases their chance of grabbing one of the top 6 d-men, and a couple future picks. Skinner's not perfect to shelter the young centers, but we're a long way from only seeing perfect as an upgrade.

That's a good offer.

Doubt he would waive tho.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
That's a good offer.

Doubt he would waive tho.

That's right, I intended to check one more thing on capfriendly...the NMC situation. California and playing on Celebrini/Smith's wing isn't a terrible pitch, but if he's at all competitive, wouldn't blame him for declining.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
That's right, I intended to check one more thing on capfriendly...the NMC situation. California and playing on Celebrini/Smith's wing isn't a terrible pitch, but if he's at all competitive, wouldn't blame him for declining.

More about being close to his family (Toronto) .. but maybe with only 3 years left he could survive that

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'd pass even if he was 50% retained. just not a great player imo he has had moments and flashes sure but I just think he stinks and makes too much. 2.5-3m I think Id be ok with but prob just not want him on my team at all

Id take Skinner 50% + Kulich or something even though Buffalo would never

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad