Would you rather: Captaincy

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I figure the majority of us figure it's only a matter of time before McDavid becomes our team captain. It's just a matter of when.

Edit: There's someone who doesn't want a captain next year and I didn't consider someone wanting that again next year. So if that's what you want leave it in the comments and I'll add you here. Please mention it in bold so it's easier for me to pick it up.

Don't want a captain next year: 4

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Hendo next year and McD the year after.

Or McD at the TDL if Hendo gets moved.

I have no problem with trading a captain. Hendo is in the last year of his deal. If a deal is there I trust that Chia won't let manufactured outrage about trading a captain if it's in the best interest of the team.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm pretty sure he is going to have it at the start of next season. I don't really like giving the captaincy to someone that young, it's a lot of pressure, but I think it's inevitable.

Also, if he gets it by the start of next season he will be the youngest captain in NHL history I think.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
It is McD's team now, that may chaff a few of his teammates but Connor has the game to back it up as well.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
None of the above. I vote going no captain again next year and then giving it to MCD after the season

Look at all of the overhaul we've had from year to year over the past few years.
We're looking at having how many new guys from Jan 2016 till the start of next season?
Having a captain is good for the new comers.
You'd never see a 5 star restaurant with 50 prep cooks and no head chef.
Young kids and vets all need a direction.
I want to see a captain next year.

Vancouver got away with not having a captain a few years ago because Luongo was their captain but the NHL wasn't willing to recognize him as their team captain so they just put the C on his mask. Amazing how he was their captain and the fans treated him so poorly down the stretch considering the awesome job he did for them considering they only had 1 line that could put the puck into the net.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Honestly I think he gets it at the start of the year, but I'm not so sure if it's the right call. But already he is our best player, leader on the ice, maybe go one more year with no C then put it on him but I'm not sure.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Its definitely gonna be Connor's. I like Hendo, but another grinder bottom 6 as a C is just Ference like.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Its definitely gonna be Connor's. I like Hendo, but another grinder bottom 6 as a C is just Ference like.

I agree.... but Hendo has done everything the coach has asked him to do and he's done it very well. Ference looked good during his first season but his play really fell off after that. He's like Kelly-B except he doesn't get his ass kicked in every day.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I honestly can't see any of our d-men getting the C, but what would Klefbom, Davidson or Nurse have to do or become to eventually get the C?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I agree.... but Hendo has done everything the coach has asked him to do and he's done it very well. Ference looked good during his first season but his play really fell off after that. He's like Kelly-B except he doesn't get his ass kicked in every day.

Sure he has, and I love Hendo for it. Guy's an absolute warrior. But its Connor's team now and a lot of the attention will be on him. He's gonna be the future captain of this team and this is from a guy who's been more of a Hall fan for the C.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
Start of next season. If he's named before October 24ish he would be the youngest ever captain. We won't regret it.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
It's McDavids team already. He may not be the most vocal player out there. But he will lead by example each and every night.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It's McDavids team already. He may not be the most vocal player out there. But he will lead by example each and every night.

He's already doing it right now. A few young players have become captains in this league. Toews, Landeskog, etc. McDavid leads on ice and you can tell that he rallies his team by doing so. What a great kid.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Buchy should thank Shayne Corson every day. Corson is undeniably the worst captain in team history.

If McD hadn't been hurt for most of the season I would agree with making him captain next season.

Because of the injury I voted for Hendo next season and McD whenever Hendo is moved (or not re-signed as a UFA).

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Buchy should thank Shayne Corson every day. Corson is undeniably the worst captain in team history.

If McD hadn't been hurt for most of the season I would agree with making him captain next season.

Because of the injury I voted for Hendo next season and McD whenever Hendo is moved (or not re-signed as a UFA).

Corson and Moreau were both horrid.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I voted Hendricks, then McDavid. Considering the injury, McDavid technically wont even have a year under his belt.. Don't put too much pressure on him. I would've voted no captain next season if that was an option. Hendricks would be a reasonable guy because he wouldn't take it hard to see the C stripped off him.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Forgot about Moreau. Corson/Moreau/Buchy as the bottom three?

I think Bucky was great.
We sucked really bad when he was the captain but he did everything the coach asked out of him which included getting his face punched in 50+ games per year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad