Would you pay Stamkos more than $4m per to come to Toronto?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I haven't discussed him in a long time, I rarely bring him up since he has left since it seems to trigger so many people here and they start whining hysterically... you have a weird obsession like I said, I'd think about why you have that obsession and if you need to change some things in your life.
Don't need to change a thing but thanks for playing 👍🏽

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
You have no idea how they will perform...do ya?

Recent performance is a good indicator of how they will perform and Stamkos is a point per game player.

Players age and get injured more....slow down...etc

Thanks for the newsflash.

If you think a 35 yr old can play like he is 25 then you must be a teenager.

Oh, so anyone who disagrees with your simplistic position is an immature teenager? I haven't been a teenager in almost four decades, but nice try.

Im over 70

So your mental faculties are slowing. Got it.

Its been said multiple times that hockey now is a young mans game....but not to you.....I guess.

If it is exclusively a young man's game how is Stamkos still a point per game player? Why do you ignore that fact?

Or what about Sid, who is older than Stamkos? Here are his numbers for the last five years:

GP P
41 47
55 62
69 84
82 93
82 94

Care to explain those numbers, or will you ignore tham like you do Stamkos' numbers? By your logic, and I use that term loosely when referring to your position, Sid wouldn't worth signing because of his age. Brilliant position to take.

And lets stroke all our young players the blame for losing. From the sounds of it , if the team was filled with veterns in their mid 30's we would of won the cup?

At no point did I say that; try reading my comment again.

Tampa is trying to resign him but cant meet in the middle and you think Stamkos is coming here on a team friendly deal?

At no point did I say he was coming here nor that it would be on a team friendly deal. Please read what I said and address that, not what you imagine I said. All I have said is that if it were to happen, having a point per game player with experience of winning would be a good thing.

If Nylander was a -21 player on this club last year.....there would be threads and threads for his removal....and I bet you would say the same thing and not say +\- is overrated.

Don't make assumptions, I have always thought +\- is an overrated stat.

Its obvious we dont agree.....put me on ignore ....Im too old for this

Well you're certainly too old for a logical position.

He had his chance in 2016, he can kiss our asses now.

So because he didn't want to come then you write him off forever? That's special.

Dude doesn't like it here anyways.

You have no idea what he does or does not like. From reports at the time, he walked out on the Leafs' presentation because it was so over the top. He didn't like the presentation, that doesn't mean he doesn't like it here. And besides, he lives here in the off-season, ffs. Why would he live here if he doesn't like it here?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
No, you cannot build a team with guys on the back half of their careers.

The Leafs need help starting from the net out. The only forward I'd be interested in would be DeBrusk @ an AAV of sub 5m. He's a middle 6 guy like Domi and I read that Domi is looking at a 4X4 deal

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
-26 if you include the playoffs.

He's still a very good goal scorer... when Kucherov is feeding him, particularly on the PP... the rest of his game as you say, has declined a great deal. He's just not a very good player 5v5 anymore.

We had NINE forwards put up more points/60 5v5 this past year than Stamkos.

As a remarkable aside... the kid a lot of people want to trade. Roberson, was 34th in the league in points/60.

Some look at he is a ppg player and that all that matters.

like you mentioned 5v5 he was horrendous. He is at the end of his career .

Reactions: Fogelhund

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
LOL apparently he rejected tampa's offer. he is looking for a retirement overpay F this shit LOL

3x8 is a crazy contract... Stamkos either needs to go LTIR (which then the league is admitting is not being used legitimately), forfeit a portion of his contract when he retires, or play til he is 43...

I don't even understand this contract.

Assuming they were planning on front loading it and then just eating the cap recapture on it when he retires since they think they will suck by then.

Some look at he is a ppg player and that all that matters.

like you mentioned 5v5 he was horrendous. He is at the end of his career .

to be fair, hiding someone on a 3rd line and using him for offensive deployments while using his shot on the PP doesn't sound like the worst player for our team if the cap hit is reasonable.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
3x8 is a crazy contract... Stamkos either needs to go LTIR (which then the league is admitting is not being used legitimately), forfeit a portion of his contract when he retires, or play til he is 43...

I don't even understand this contract.

Assuming they were planning on front loading it and then just eating the cap recapture on it when he retires since they think they will suck by then.

to be fair, hiding someone on a 3rd line and using him for offensive deployments while using his shot on the PP doesn't sound like the worst player for our team if the cap hit is reasonable.

I don’t want to waste cap dollars on utility player . Our pp has been pretty good over the yrs except in playoffs. We don’t have that luxury.

Bigger fry to fish then adding a 35 yr old who is getting slower and plays very little D …is a liability 5v5 ….just to have pp shot. We have enough guys to do that on the pp IMHO

We need to invest in our other needs like D and a goalie

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Stamkos doesn’t play C any more. He is a winger on TB and that’s how he should be viewed, would I take him at $5m aav? Absolutely, that is a no brainer. You replace Bert’s 20g with 40g by doing this. And he is a gamer in the playoffs. But he is not a center.

People worried about term, that is fair, but the island takes care of that for us. We need to use our $$$ advantage and front load deals to make it compelling and we have proven over many years we can LTIR.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheScandal89

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Recent performance is a good indicator of how they will perform and Stamkos is a point per game player.

Thanks for the newsflash.

Oh, so anyone who disagrees with your simplistic position is an immature teenager? I haven't been a teenager in almost four decades, but nice try.

So your mental faculties are slowing. Got it.

If it is exclusively a young man's game how is Stamkos still a point per game player? Why do you ignore that fact?

Or what about Sid, who is older than Stamkos? Here are his numbers for the last five years:

GP P
41 47
55 62
69 84
82 93
82 94

Care to explain those numbers, or will you ignore tham like you do Stamkos' numbers? By your logic, and I use that term loosely when referring to your position, Sid wouldn't worth signing because of his age. Brilliant position to take.

At no point did I say that; try reading my comment again.

At no point did I say he was coming here nor that it would be on a team friendly deal. Please read what I said and address that, not what you imagine I said. All I have said is that if it were to happen, having a point per game player with experience of winning would be a good thing.

Don't make assumptions, I have always thought +\- is an overrated stat.

Well you're certainly too old for a logical position.

So because he didn't want to come then you write him off forever? That's special.

You have no idea what he does or does not like. From reports at the time, he walked out on the Leafs' presentation because it was so over the top. He didn't like the presentation, that doesn't mean he doesn't like it here. And besides, he lives here in the off-season, ffs. Why would he live here if he doesn't like it here?

I think you are missing the forest for the trees, at a certain point Stammer will slow down considerably, maybe its next year maybe he's a freak and its in 5 years. If people hate Mitch's 11 mil and 90 points, they will hate Stammers 8 or 9 mil and 30 to 50 points when he slows down. People slow down as they age its a simple fact, father time is undefeated in that manner. It's a calculated risk when you sign older players, Gio, Brodie, JT are all proof positive that father time comes after event the best. BTW you cant argue your point both ways and be taken seriously, you first challenge him for him saying a 35 year old cant play like he is 25 then accuse him of declining mental faculties because he is over the age of 70. Either your performance drops as you age or it does not.

Maybe mute now that tb has moved sergachev

Moot..

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Stamkos doesn’t play C any more. He is a winger on TB and that’s how he should be viewed, would I take him at $5m aav? Absolutely, that is a no brainer. You replace Bert’s 20g with 40g by doing this. And he is a gamer in the playoffs. But he is not a center.

People worried about term, that is fair, but the island takes care of that for us. We need to use our $$$ advantage and front load deals to make it compelling and we have proven over many years we can LTIR.
You have to look at equals.

Bert had 16 goals at ES, and Stamkos had 21, so at ES you are only looking at 5 goals difference. (Also, Bert had a slow start, but scored 12 ES goals in the last 25 games, while Stamkos scored 9.)

As far as the PP goes, he would be replacing either JT (8 goals) or more likely Mitch (9 goals) with his 19.

Is that worth his much worse defensive play?

Reactions: Da Mash

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
stamps used us before as leverage.
u offer him a short term deal at a team friendly deal and if he doesn't take then good luck elsewhere!!

Everyone uses us as leverage, if we signed all the players who are rumored to come here we'd have a roster of 70 skaters and 15 goalies. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad