Would you pay Stamkos more than $4m per to come to Toronto?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
391/415 games in the past 5 years is 94% of the games including 100% of playoff games.

I don’t think you have any idea who Tanev is right now. His game hasn’t declined at all. He’d be a perfect partner for Rielly for 2 years. It would be nice to find a long term partner for Rielly but it would also be nice to get a great player on a short contract instead of overpaying some other 30 year old for 7 years into the age you are worrying about Tanev being in 2 years.

Who exactly do you want let me criticize your choice now.

I don’t have a preference but it sure isn’t a soon to be 35 yr old. And if he does get signed for 2 yrs let’s see the cap hit. IMHO he is a waste of money unless he gives us a discount like Gio did.

Not a fan

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I dont....I did mention rumours in my post.

Yes, and then you moaned about unsubstantiated rumours as if they were fact:
"Im tired of signing players that are past their prime. Seems like all the rumours are for these types.

In Tre we trust?

Tanev is rumoured too .....and he is bad....maybe a step above Gio
But for whatever reason....we always think the grass is greener on the other side.
"

And from our past acquisations alot of the players we targeted were older players.

Irrelevant. What previous regimes did is not an indication of what this regime will do.

And there is a big difference between point per game Stamkos and the other older players we signed so you are not comparing apples to apples.

JustYourRegularGuy

Jun 27, 2024
This rumour is so silly, and if it somehow came to be would be a huge fail guaranteed

No guarantees in life except death. But I agree, I don't think Stamkos comes to play for us and instead just stays in Tampa.

That, or he signs in Nashville. A place that would be a better fit for him than our team would be with all our good forwards already taking-up offensive draws and PP icetime.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
So age is the only thing you care about? Brilliant.

well it’s a young man’s game so yes ….age is a big concern. We tried players over 30 or mid 30’s and where did it get us?

Father time catches up with all of us and I’m tired of the leafs paying retirement checks to older players.

I want talent but not an old player living off past performances.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Yes, and then you moaned about unsubstantiated rumours as if they were fact:
"Im tired of signing players that are past their prime. Seems like all the rumours are for these types.

In Tre we trust?

Tanev is rumoured too .....and he is bad....maybe a step above Gio
But for whatever reason....we always think the grass is greener on the other side.
"

Irrelevant. What previous regimes did is not an indication of what this regime will do.

And there is a big difference between point per game Stamkos and the other older players we signed so you are not comparing apples to apples.

I’m not a fan of this version of Stamkos. He will be a typical overpaid signing and yes he may score but we don’t need another floater defensively.

He was a -21 with a very good club and again like Tanev he will be 35 mid season

Hard pass as they won’t come here cheap

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
2 yr x $5M, sure. Take your emotions out of it - this would be good value for even the currently declining Stamkos. Replace Tavares and have more than $6M for an add on defense, a left wing or even to resign Tavares at <$5M for a couple of years.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
well it’s a young man’s game

Where did the young stars take the team?

so yes ….age is a big concern. We tried players over 30 or mid 30’s and where did it get us?

Father time catches up with all of us and I’m tired of the leafs paying retirement checks to older players.

I want talent but not an old player living off past performances.

You're clearly incapable of understanding that age is not the determining factor in one's performance.

I’m not a fan of this version of Stamkos.

You're not a fan of a point per game player?

He will be a typical overpaid signing

You have no idea what he will or will not be.

He was a -21 with a very good club

That is an overrated stat.

and again like Tanev he will be 35 mid season

Who cares? So long as someone is producing, their age is irrelevant. Why are you so obsessed with age over everything else?

Hard pass as they won’t come here cheap

You have no idea what the cost would be.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Where did the young stars take the team?

You're clearly incapable of understanding that age is not the determining factor in one's performance.

You're not a fan of a point per game player?

You have no idea what he will or will not be.

That is an overrated stat.

Who cares? So long as someone is producing, their age is irrelevant. Why are you so obsessed with age over everything else?

You have no idea what the cost would be.

You have no idea how they will perform...do ya?

If you want to play that game.....everything is just heresay .....all these rumours means squat right? Then who cares?

Players age and get injured more....slow down...etc

If you think a 35 yr old can play like he is 25 then you must be a teenager. Im over 70 and I know how age catches up to you. Its been said multiple times that hockey now is a young mans game....but not to you.....I guess.

And lets stroke all our young players the blame for losing. From the sounds of it , if the team was filled with veterns in their mid 30's we would of won the cup?

Tampa is trying to resign him but cant meet in the middle and you think Stamkos is coming here on a team friendly deal?

If Nylander was a -21 player on this club last year.....there would be threads and threads for his removal....and I bet you would say the same thing and not say +\- is overrated.

Its obvious we dont agree.....put me on ignore ....Im too old for this

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You have no idea how they will perform...do ya?

If you want to play that game.....everything is just heresay .....all these rumours means squat right? Then who cares?

Players age and get injured more....slow down...etc

If you think a 35 yr old can play like he is 25 then you must be a teenager. Im over 70 and I know how age catches up to you. Its been said multiple times that hockey now is a young mans game....but not to you.....I guess.

And lets stroke all our young players the blame for losing. From the sounds of it , if the team was filled with veterns in their mid 30's we would of won the cup?

Tampa is trying to resign him but cant meet in the middle and you think Stamkos is coming here on a team friendly deal?

If Nylander was a -21 player on this club last year.....there would be threads and threads for his removal....and I bet you would say the same thing and not say +\- is overrated.

Its obvious we dont agree.....put me on ignore ....Im too old for this
-26 if you include the playoffs.

He's still a very good goal scorer... when Kucherov is feeding him, particularly on the PP... the rest of his game as you say, has declined a great deal. He's just not a very good player 5v5 anymore.

We had NINE forwards put up more points/60 5v5 this past year than Stamkos.

As a remarkable aside... the kid a lot of people want to trade. Roberson, was 34th in the league in points/60.

Reactions: Da Mash

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He had his chance in 2016, he can kiss our asses now. Dude doesn't like it here anyways.

Every player had their chance during free agency do we only make offers to first-time UFAs?

I hold no grudges for him putting winning ahead of his hometown.

I think he is past his prime and would want him as a depth scorer/PP one-timer, but I think he still has some value.

He isn't top of my list for FAs, but he is still an option as far as I am concerned.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If Stamkos was willing my to take less money he’d be back in Tampa I would think. I don’t see any path to this happening
Unless he grew up a Leaf fan, wanted to play in the hometown before he hung them up. Since he snubbed us, I’d be willing to grant him his wish for a couple of years at somewhere 50% or more below his fair market value. If he wants anymore from us, forget it and stay in Florida.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Every player had their chance during free agency do we only make offers to first-time UFAs?

I hold no grudges for him putting winning ahead of his hometown.

I think he is past his prime and would want him as a depth scorer/PP one-timer, but I think he still has some value.

He isn't top of my list for FAs, but he is still an option as far as I am concerned.
He's old and will command 7-8M, we don't need to spend that kind of money on a winger in his twilight years. You love Dubas though so not surprising you'd be okay with that. Even more ridiculous when considering you probably want to keep Marner @12M AAV.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's old and will command 7-8M, we don't need to spend that kind of money on a winger in his twilight years. You love Dubas though so not surprising you'd be okay with that.

7-8M is not a reasonable contract, so I don't want him at that price point.

Also, I am not sure what the second part of your paragraph is talking about, but the obsession with a former GM when not mentioned is weird, you may want to re-evaluate your life if there is that much hatred towards people you've never met.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
7-8M is not a reasonable contract, so I don't want him at that price point.

Also, I am not sure what the second part of your paragraph is talking about, but the obsession with a former GM when not mentioned is weird, you may want to re-evaluate your life if there is that much hatred towards people you've never met.
There is no obsession from me, you continuously defend him and his moves.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
There is no obsession from me, you continuously defend him and his moves.

I haven't discussed him in a long time, I rarely bring him up since he has left since it seems to trigger so many people here and they start whining hysterically... you have a weird obsession like I said, I'd think about why you have that obsession and if you need to change some things in your life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad