Would you pay Stamkos more than $4m per to come to Toronto?

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
can't just swap out 10 guys for 10 better guys.
THe process is one move at a time.
Agreed. But those individual moves have to be made in conjunction with team needs. And I think part of Toronto's problem is this misapplied thinking that our gravity is stronger than other markets. To the contrary, it seems to be getting weaker.

But I'm missing the part where I said that one move with ten pieces for ten pieces was part of the explanation entailed in the process under my use of the word bandwidth. By bandwidth - again - I mean an environment that facilitates and cultivates any number of justified decisions with seemingly less negative impact and more positive.

And to that end with respect to demonstrated bandwidth, what was Florida's roster turnover this year from the previous season? Wasn't it like...9 or 10 players?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Another forward, lol and one that would probably like to put in a couple of seasons on the best team in the NHL before he hangs them up. NO THANKS.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Im tired of signing players that are past their prime. Seems like all the rumours are for these types.

In Tre we trust?

Tanev is rumoured too .....and he is bad....maybe a step above Gio
But for whatever reason....we always think the grass is greener on the other side.

I hope Tre is smart but then again.....his track record in FA isnt great .

Reactions: Al14 and Confucius

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Im tired of signing players that are past their prime. Seems like all the rumours are for these types.

In Tre we trust?

Tanev is rumoured too .....and he is bad....maybe a step above Gio
But for whatever reason....we always think the grass is greener on the other side.

I hope Tre is smart but then again.....his track record in FA isnt great .

Why do you take rumours as fact?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Well that's a little misleading. When you look closely Toronto players combined to be +171, while Tampa was -72.

Besides Hedman who was +18, mostly playing with Cernak who was +5, and Perbix was +8 the rest of the defence was pretty bad. Sergachev was -16 (in 34 games), Lilleberg was -15, De Haan was -9, Dumba -5, Raddysh -3, etc. So yeah there D core struggled. When you look at the team as a whole, the highest is +18 (hedman) then there's a big drop off.

The Forwards, as mentioned Point was -16, but Paul was -16, and Jeannot -10. It appears that its maybe a team thing, and while Stamkos is declining, his minus is very indicative of the team and line mates he had. If he was -13 like Reaves was on a team that's +171 combined, then yeah thats a standout.

So yeah, obviously special teams played a big role for Tampa Bay, and adding one of their best PP guys to our unit that has been terrible in the playoffs and the team can barely score more then 2 goals would help.
It's more than a bit misleading suggesting that the player with easily the worst +/- on the team isn't one of the biggest defensive liabilities.

As far as the PP goes, we have two excellent shots in Matthews and Nylander. The problem is more the lack of a point shot, the lack of a net front who will screen the goalie, and Marner trying to make impossible passes to Matty. The PP was much better with Domi, Bert, and a point shot.

Getting Stamkos and his weak defensive play for the sake of his shot on the PP doesn't seem to me like a good idea.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
They’re not signing Stamkos as I said. It’s signing Tavares that will be a mistake.
They are not signing JT again for 11. If he hangs on for another year past expiration it will be less than 5. He has more value than the 1 trick pony that Stamkos has become.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
It's a pretty big step you're looking at there.
Personally I don’t think so. Tanev is on the wrong side of 30 and has worse offensive IQ than Gio.
Tanev is the typical player fans love to overhype.

Father time catches up to everyone and most of his career he is always injured and it won’t get better.

Odds are we will overpay for him and he will be the new whipping boy playing beside Reilly even tho he will miss part of the season injured.

JMHO :) Not a fan and we should stop signing older players and expect them to be players they were 5-10 yrs ago

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Personally I don’t think so. Tanev is on the wrong side of 30 and has worse offensive IQ than Gio.
Tanev is the typical player fans love to overhype.

Father time catches up to everyone and most of his career he is always injured and it won’t get better.

Odds are we will overpay for him and he will be the new whipping boy playing beside Reilly even tho he will miss part of the season injured.

JMHO :) Not a fan and we should stop signing older players and expect them to be players they were 5-10 yrs ago
He’s exactly the same player as he was 5 years ago. Zero regression in his game. If we can get him for 2 years I wouldn’t even blink. 3+ and I’d worry.

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It's kind of weird to me how little respect Stamkos gets. People have been talking about him like he's washed up for years now, yet he goes PPG every year and scores 40. Even if we knock his numbers a bit for not getting as many PP looks (he's shared a PP with Kucherov for years lol) and getting older, we're still looking at a 30g, 60p kind of player.

He's at the age where term is the problem more than the value. If he wants to come here, I think we would be within our rights to ask him to take a discount, but I hope he wants to come here. Great player.

Reactions: ToneDog

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It's kind of weird to me how little respect Stamkos gets. People have been talking about him like he's washed up for years now, yet he goes PPG every year and scores 40. Even if we knock his numbers a bit for not getting as many PP looks (he's shared a PP with Kucherov for years lol) and getting older, we're still looking at a 30g, 60p kind of player.

He's at the age where term is the problem more than the value. If he wants to come here, I think we would be within our rights to ask him to take a discount, but I hope he wants to come here. Great player.

Stamkos is everything I wished Tavares was.

A fighter, goal scorer, leader, and winner. Tavares never did escape his younger contemporaries shadow. Even at the end of their careers I would STILL rather have Stamkos on the team.

That statement is just as true today as it was the first time I made it all those years ago.

Reactions: LeafGrief

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I can't believe there are people here actively arguing against getting a point per game player for $4 million per year. What the hell is wrong with you people?

Plus, unlike previous older vets such as Marleau (terrible choice), Thornton (another bad choice), Tavares (good choice but paid a bit too much) Stamkos is a winner and the team desperately needs that winning experience in the dressing room.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
He’s exactly the same player as he was 5 years ago. Zero regression in his game. If we can get him for 2 years I wouldn’t even blink. 3+ and I’d worry.
We have no idea if that will continue. Last 5 yrs he also missed games. His play hasnt been great either and he will be 35 mid season.
Sorry.......Father time catches up to everyone ....we cant rely on investing cap dollars to a aging player that we hope keeps playing like he did 5 yrs ago. Thats a stretch IMHO

If it happens then it will be another circus finding a partner for Reilly as Tanev will be injured again.

Lets raise the bar here........this team has to stop picking up aging players that are at the end of their careers.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Why do you take rumours as fact?

I dont....I did mention rumours in my post. And from our past acquisations alot of the players we targeted were older players. We need better players then the Bear and Edmundson etc. Now it seems like Bert is testing free agency and Domi may come back but then again he never seems to stay on one team very long.

I hope Tanev doesnt sign here....

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
We have no idea if that will continue. Last 5 yrs he also missed games. His play hasnt been great either and he will be 35 mid season.
Sorry.......Father time catches up to everyone ....we cant rely on investing cap dollars to a aging player that we hope keeps playing like he did 5 yrs ago. Thats a stretch IMHO

If it happens then it will be another circus finding a partner for Reilly as Tanev will be injured again.

Lets raise the bar here........this team has to stop picking up aging players that are at the end of their careers.
391/415 games in the past 5 years is 94% of the games including 100% of playoff games.

I don’t think you have any idea who Tanev is right now. His game hasn’t declined at all. He’d be a perfect partner for Rielly for 2 years. It would be nice to find a long term partner for Rielly but it would also be nice to get a great player on a short contract instead of overpaying some other 30 year old for 7 years into the age you are worrying about Tanev being in 2 years.

Who exactly do you want let me criticize your choice now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Upon further consideration I’d throw a healthy contract at Stammer if we are letting Bertuzzi and Domi walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad