Would you pay Stamkos more than $4m per to come to Toronto?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
This fanbase is pretty gun shy when it comes to free agents. And that makes sense after guys like Clarkson, Komisarek, and Jeff Finger. And it's even worse for players who are former all-stars but now a bit past their prime, like Jumbo Joe and Marleau.

And I know Tavares isn't a fan favourite on HF Leafs. So many here blame him for us not winning a Cup yet in the Matthews era.

So I'm not surprised there's not too many fans who want to add Stamkos as a UFA. But let's be real. Even if he is mostly a PP threat more than 5on5, he's quite a PP threat if he got 40 goals and point-per-game. Let's not forget that a dismal powerplay was probably the #1 reason they lost in round 1 again. Scoring is not something to sniff at.

4 million a year for Stamkos? Yes, please.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The AAV and leadership would be worth bringing Stamkos in. He’s a more offensively productive player than Tavares and has winning pedigree now. But he would be a frustrating player to watch as he’s basically a shoot only sniper who doesn’t play much of a center game. Basically a late stage Matthews without the size.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
4m is fine for a 2/3C, I'd focus on trying to get a D man first and foremost, but the Leafs have a ton of money coming off the books, so it's fine value.

Reactions: arso40

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
No and he doesn't wanna be here anyways. He shits on this market and team and any chance he gets and he ran away when he had an opportunity in 2016.

Reactions: torontoblood

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Agree to disagree on this one I suppose. Usually we have a very similar take on things.

Stamkos really isn't a C at this point, he mostly plays wing, though he does take faceoffs. At least Tavares can play C. Second, Stamkos absolutely needs someone feeding him... and in your scenario, we've traded the guy who can do that. Stamkos is also a very poor 5v5 player now... very poor. He was a -26 on the season. (playoffs and regular season)

Tavares is well overpaid, but he is a better 5v5 player, and can still play C.

Stamkos earned the labels “power play merchant” and “5v5 liability” all over social media in the Fall. After all, his plus-minus rating of -20 is a career-worst. From October 10th to January 15th, Stamkos surrendered 3.06 expected goals against per hour (3.06 xGA/60), 42nd worst amongst 401 forwards with over 200 minutes of ice time. Furthermore, Stamos controlled 44.88% of the expected goal share (44.88 xGF%), good enough for 321st out of 401 forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Stamkos really isn't a C at this point, he mostly plays wing, though he does take faceoffs. At least Tavares can play C. Second, Stamkos absolutely needs someone feeding him... and in your scenario, we've traded the guy who can do that. Stamkos is also a very poor 5v5 player now... very poor. He was a -26 on the season. (playoffs and regular season)

Tavares is well overpaid, but he is a better 5v5 player, and can still play C.

Stamkos earned the labels “power play merchant” and “5v5 liability” all over social media in the Fall. After all, his plus-minus rating of -20 is a career-worst. From October 10th to January 15th, Stamkos surrendered 3.06 expected goals against per hour (3.06 xGA/60), 42nd worst amongst 401 forwards with over 200 minutes of ice time. Furthermore, Stamos controlled 44.88% of the expected goal share (44.88 xGF%), good enough for 321st out of 401 forwards.
They are both pretty shit 5v5. I'm suggesting we sign him for the PP bump and he performs in the playoffs. Marner isnt the only guy on the team who can dish the puck. Domi is a helluva passer. Matty had some very nice assists this year. All MR does is pass. Nylander handed Matty a 40goal rookie season on a platter and has had 105 assists in the last 2 seasons. I don't see an issue.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I'd rather pay him that then Bertuzzi. Our PP would be way better, teams can't cheat to Matthews side when Stamkos is on the otherside.

Domi - Matthews - Marner
Stamkos - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Minten - Cowan

With that said, I don't expect it to happen

Reactions: CincoHolio

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I'd rather pay him that then Bertuzzi. Our PP would be way better, teams can't cheat to Matthews side when Stamkos is on the otherside.

Domi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Minten - Cowan

Interesting. I think Domi is the weaklink there. Move Knies to 1, get a big man like DeBrusk for Minten line for protection and you got the good beginnings. Neither Bert or Domi would help Minten Cowan

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
My position is never. Anything above 4 would be worse than JT contract, I don't care if he was born in a seat at Scotiabank center.
But the Leafs live in the past and on a profit statement, so Shanny might bite on this.
Worse than JT who’s paid $11M ? You know Stamkos won two cups and scored 40 goals this year ? What’s that worth on a short term deal ?

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Of course they would pay that, silly question.

Not sure why anyone would care that he didn't come here earlier when he had the chance, seems kind of childish.
Especially since he made the right decision and won two cups. Captain of a team that won two cups and scored forty last season. I’d pay him $4.1M. 😂

I hated Stamkos for turning us down but he made the right decision to stay in Tampa. I'd easily sign him now for the right number.

Rather pay Stammer $4m than what they are rumoured to pay Woll. Imagine Stammer, Matthews and no Marner and Rielly on the PP.
We can only dream.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
No interest in Stamkos.

None.

Would rather re-sign Tavares to a heavily discounted 2 year deal and have him play 3C, while getting a 2C like Lindholm now.

Stamkos can kick rocks in Tampa.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Would we pay a 40 goal scorer 4M?? What kind of question is this.
we have enough on offence
I'd give him a 3 year deal at $5.5 mil per to come and play with his Pal JT.

Then JT would get his salary cut in 1/2 at expiry and re-signed for 2 X $5.,5 mil to overlap perfectly Stankos term.

Then a slowing JT I would move to the wing and let Stamkos man center ice.

Taraves ($5.5 mil) ---- Stamkos ($5.5 mil) --- XXXX [combined the pair would make what JT use to make individually)

XXXX ------ Matthews --- Nylander
Tavares ---- Stamkos ---- XXXX
Knies ------ Minten ------ Cowan
you guys never learn

Reactions: bax

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No to Stamkos. Enough of yesterday’s stars seeking retirement, we need young, hungry, eye of the tiger players. Crest on the front.

Reactions: bax and LeafSteel

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
No to Stamkos. Enough of yesterday’s stars seeking retirement, we need young, hungry, eye of the tiger players. Crest on the front.
I would take him if he wanted to sign with the Leafs as long as its relatively cheap and its short term. He's still a PPG player putting up 30-40 goals a year and is a consistent playoff performer. However I really think he re-signs with the Lightning and if he doesn't he'll most likely sign with a non-Canadian team.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
OMG. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
Would we rather sign Stamkos @ $4-5 million after 40 goals and 5 playoff goals
OR
Bertuzzi and his 21 goals and 1 playoff snipe again for $5.5 million

HMMMMM, not a tough decision at all.

If Leafs are only offering $5 mill for Stamkos he will stay in TB for sure anyways.
Bertuzzi had 5 fewer goals and the same number of assists at ES, in virtually identical ice time. He had the same number of ES points in the playoffs.

Stamkos was -21 while Bert was +2. Bert's 5 years younger.

It's a pretty silly comparison.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Domi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Minten - Cowan

That second line would be a defensive disaster!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad