Would you pay Stamkos more than $4m per to come to Toronto?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
My position is never. Anything above 4 would be worse than JT contract, I don't care if he was born in a seat at Scotiabank center.
But the Leafs live in the past and on a profit statement, so Shanny might bite on this.

Reactions: ruaware41

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
My position is never. Anything above 4 would be worse than JT contract, I don't care if he was born in a seat at Scotiabank center.
But the Leafs live in the past and on a profit statement, so Shanny might bite on this.

On a short-term contract, yes, I'd pay him at least that.

Immediately improves the PP by having two serious threats for one-timers.

I think that is the immediate benefit, but also gives some more scoring depth.

If anything above 4 is worse than the JT contract, does that mean Bertuzzi had the worst contract on the team last year?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
On a short-term contract, yes, I'd pay him at least that.

Immediately improves the PP by having two serious threats for one-timers.

I think that is the immediate benefit, but also gives some more scoring depth.

If anything above 4 is worse than the JT contract, does that mean Bertuzzi had the worst contract on the team last year?
Not the worst contract, but in the top4

Lol. Even if Stamkos isn't what he used to be, he's still gonna command something much higher than a $4m AAV on his next deal. It'll cost around double that to sign him.
Then pass, right? His agent is asking.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Treliving would essentially have to move out a forward with a NMC before this became either a possibility or a good idea. I also wonder if term might be even more problematic than AAV when negotiating with someone in the position of Stamkos?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He is still worth it short term. Like I dont know what 4m looks like to you? How many years?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well 4 mil is cheap enough for any team to strongly consider it depending on term. Though I suspect he's looking for more in the 6-7.5iah mil range.

And at that higher aav the answer is probably not.

He had his chance to come earlier and tuned it down, and I think the team needs support forwards with different skillets from the main core guys.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's an excellent PP player, and a liability otherwise. His 5v5 game has fallen off the cliff. Much of his PP success, is likely also attributed to Kucherov. TB will find a way to extend him, so it's not going to matter much, but he isn't a player that I'd add to the team, except for maybe at league min, in a very reduced role, plus PP..

If you want to pay an aging player upwards of $4 mil, make it Patrick Kane, as a Marner replacement, if that comes to pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finger Licking Good

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Of course they would pay that, silly question.

Not sure why anyone would care that he didn't come here earlier when he had the chance, seems kind of childish.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think he made a real sound choice staying in Tampa. He's not a leader and would have fit into this core all too well.

If he comes that cheap, I think he'd be worth it for the PP shot. And lets us kick Tavares to the curb really easy.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd give him a 3 year deal at $5.5 mil per to come and play with his Pal JT.

Then JT would get his salary cut in 1/2 at expiry and re-signed for 2 X $5.,5 mil to overlap perfectly Stankos term.

Then a slowing JT I would move to the wing and let Stamkos man center ice.

Taraves ($5.5 mil) ---- Stamkos ($5.5 mil) --- XXXX [combined the pair would make what JT use to make individually)

XXXX ------ Matthews --- Nylander
Tavares ---- Stamkos ---- XXXX
Knies ------ Minten ------ Cowan

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
OMG. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
Would we rather sign Stamkos @ $4-5 million after 40 goals and 5 playoff goals
OR
Bertuzzi and his 21 goals and 1 playoff snipe again for $5.5 million

HMMMMM, not a tough decision at all.

If Leafs are only offering $5 mill for Stamkos he will stay in TB for sure anyways.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Exactly, we don't need him now. He can go play for Utah for all I care.

At least JT actually came home to play in TO in his prime.

f*** Stamkos !!!
I hated Stamkos for turning us down but he made the right decision to stay in Tampa. I'd easily sign him now for the right number.

Rather pay Stammer $4m than what they are rumoured to pay Woll. Imagine Stammer, Matthews and no Marner and Rielly on the PP.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well 4 mil is cheap enough for any team to strongly consider it depending on term. Though I suspect he's looking for more in the 6-7.5iah mil range.

And at that higher aav the answer is probably not.

He had his chance to come earlier and tuned it down, and I think the team needs support forwards with different skillets from the main core guys.

We need a genuine center at the very least

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad