Would you ever consider changing allegiances?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Communism...RED Wings...ah man, this is like when you realized Kevin Spacey was Kaiser Sozé!:oops:

IT ALL MAKES SENSE!

6506a_lg.jpeg

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ColdToiletSeats

Jul 10, 2006
Detroit
I've been a Wings fan for 32 years. I was just thinking about this the other day on how I can never say nice things about other NHL teams. If you're not wearing the Wing's jersey I really do hate you lol I could never jump ship, even if I moved to another hockey city.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
patiently waiting for jaster's lack of self control....
I don't think we will see any reaction from jaster.
Or I should say I am very sure we won't see any reaction.

However. The point is that people might consider to change the team for different reasons.
To make the topic a bit more understandable and digestive let me put it a bit differently.

You know we have this European song contest, Eurovision?
This show is supposed to be a music show. But it has become a freaks and politics show and has very little or anything to do with the music.

I also remember a few years back when different posters here complained about some things which I thought it was strange to complain about. However, I lately realised what those people complained about. I was not familiar with the situation in USA and Canada.

English is not my mother tong and we have different backgrounds, so I can understand your frustration. I am not very good with getting my point clear. When I read my posts I perfectly understand what I want to say, lol, but then I read your reactions and then I realise I didn't get my point across very well.
Does this make any sense or is it still unclear?

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I saw this post at work earlier and couldn't contribute -- I'm so excited -- I haven't been suspended for a year or so!

So about politics: I know what the OP means here. I abandoned the NFL because of it. And then about 5 years later, my Chiefs (who I'd followed for 25 years, have a signed Christian Okoye jersey, named my daughter for one of their players, yada yada) started winning Superbowls.

But I don't care -- I could not bear the bullsh*t anymore.

I don't see that happening with the Chel. Despite the fact that it's essentially a Canadian team, the politics of this league seem quite muted, and even-handed. And Detroit is aligned with the league.

Things the team would have to do, to make me abandon them -- they'd have to do all of these:

1) Replace Yzerman with Claude Lemieux

2) Name Kane the captain

3) Sign Tom Wilson and Cal Clusterf***, fire Raymond and Larkin into the sun

4) Take Lidstrom's 5 down and replace it with Sean Avery's...just replace the number with "King Sh*t of F*ck Mountain"

5) Re-hire Babcock

• Haha
Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
patiently waiting for jaster's lack of self control....
I know, someone needs to fall on their sword. I've decided with my next post I'm going to blow the lid of this mother-effer and get the entire Red Wings forum banned:naughty:

You better have empty bladder and bowels when you read it.

• Love
Reactions: norrisnick

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Not sure what politics has to do here.

But I am worried about the NFL opening up to private equity investors. How long until profits become more important than winning? I can see Bettman licking his chops at the thought.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I can't believe you guys can't see the 3-d chess criss-cross being employed. The real issue is scitilop!

Word up to my home fries!
It's possible to deal with scitilop if you're careful. The problem is when scitilop interacts with sllabfoog that have no desire for luftcepser noissucsid. That's when all lleh breaks loose.

If only there was a dedicated sllabfoog section to keep things contained...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
ah.. I think I'm beginning to understand now. I feel like we're only a few posts away from someone using "woke" as a pejorative.

If my team got involved in actual politics to an extreme level I guess I could see some scenario where I would stop following them.

As for the team (or league) trying to expand its fanbase by promoting the idea that all are welcome and will be treated respectfully? Yeah that doesn't bother me.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
It's possible to deal with scitilop if you're careful. The problem is when scitilop interacts with sllabfoog that have no desire for luftcepser noissucsid. That's when all lleh breaks loose.

If only there was a dedicated sllabfoog section to keep things contained...

I don't particularly remember how it was here but on LetsGowings the scitilop forum didn't really keep things contained. The animosity built up between members there often spilled into discussions about hockey.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
ah.. I think I'm beginning to understand now. I feel like we're only a few posts away from someone using "woke" as a pejorative.

If my team got involved in actual politics to an extreme level I guess I could see some scenario where I would stop following them.

As for the team (or league) trying to expand its fanbase by promoting the idea that all are welcome and will be treated respectfully? Yeah that doesn't bother me.
Yup. And that's why I reacted like I did early on in this.

Shit man, there have been several people here who just wildly abuse hockey statistics to tell a story that simply isn't true. (Re: Andreas Athanasiou being a superstar if he was given 20 minutes a night because he has a stellar p/60).

Now you add stuff that has a clear bias that encourages digging into your beliefs and you're asking for a powderkeg, no matter how vigilant on keeping it above board you think you are.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I don't think we will see any reaction from jaster.
Or I should say I am very sure we won't see any reaction.

However. The point is that people might consider to change the team for different reasons.
To make the topic a bit more understandable and digestive let me put it a bit differently.

You know we have this European song contest, Eurovision?
This show is supposed to be a music show. But it has become a freaks and politics show and has very little or anything to do with the music.

I also remember a few years back when different posters here complained about some things which I thought it was strange to complain about. However, I lately realised what those people complained about. I was not familiar with the situation in USA and Canada.

English is not my mother tong and we have different backgrounds, so I can understand your frustration. I am not very good with getting my point clear. When I read my posts I perfectly understand what I want to say, lol, but then I read your reactions and then I realise I didn't get my point across very well.
Does this make any sense or is it still unclear?

So, I think this determines it... Ari has been talking about a hypothetical shift, not one that has actually happened because he saw something changed with Eurovision that he didn't care for and it fundamentally changed his opinion on the event.

Like there is no actual current politics driving a wedge, but the possibility for politics to do that is something that could change the opinion.

It's still a weird discussion topic. Hypotheticals without any impetus for the hypothetical to occur are some of the weakest discussion topics, particularly when an example cannot or will not be given.

rbartnik

Mar 9, 2019
So, I think this determines it... Ari has been talking about a hypothetical shift, not one that has actually happened because he saw something changed with Eurovision that he didn't care for and it fundamentally changed his opinion on the event.

Like there is no actual current politics driving a wedge, but the possibility for politics to do that is something that could change the opinion.

It's still a weird discussion topic. Hypotheticals without any impetus for the hypothetical to occur are some of the weakest discussion topics, particularly when an example cannot or will not be given.
That is not at all what the original post says. It's not hypothetical, there are actual current politics driving a wedge, and they don't want to say exactly what for fear of moderation.

The hypothetical is in the question, though: can you think of any reasons why *you* would consider changing allegiances?

Mine would be less about politics and more about people. If we had a Kyle Beach situation here, where captains/coaches/owners tried to cover it up? I'd think long and hard about supporting someone else.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Mine would be less about politics and more about people. If we had a Kyle Beach situation here, where captains/coaches/owners tried to cover it up? I'd think long and hard about supporting someone else.
I dunno. A franchise with a 100 year legacy and one (in this case, hypothetical) "oopsie"? Folks need perspective, IMO. If I cleaned my media shelves of all the artists, authors, directors, actors, etc., who have done an oopsie or two, or made it clear that they don't approve of my morals or ethics, I'd have pretty empty shelves.

I mean, whatever goats your float, I guess, but it's not my style.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I dunno. A franchise with a 100 year legacy and one (in this case, hypothetical) "oopsie"? Folks need perspective, IMO. If I cleaned my media shelves of all the artists, authors, directors, actors, etc., who have done an oopsie or two, or made it clear that they don't approve of my morals or ethics, I'd have pretty empty shelves.

I mean, whatever goats your float, I guess, but it's not my style.
'
I would call what happened with Kyle Beach significantly more than an "oopsie." It was a massive organizational failure that had dire consequences.

When talking about books and movies and whatnot I see what you're saying because it can be different as it often involves the distant past. But if the Ilitch family had done something like the Wirtz's, I'd definitely have a hard time rooting for the Wings. Probably not forever, but a while (assuming they were still in charge).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
'
I would call what happened with Kyle Beach significantly more than an "oopsie." It was a massive organizational failure that had dire consequences.

When talking about books and movies and whatnot I see what you're saying because it can be different as it often involves the distant past. But if the Ilitch family had done something like the Wirtz's, I'd definitely have a hard time rooting for the Wings. Probably not forever, but a while (assuming they were still in charge).

Indeed. Owners being complicit in covering up a heinous act like that would make me leave a team. Because sports teams are just entertainment, they aren't a ride or die birthright like some people act. It's a performance, a TV show, and you're allowed to dip if the entertainment value doesn't outweigh your own personal objections.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I don't know that it'd be a "change" per se. When the Thrashers were awarded to Ted Turner in 1997, I adopted them as my B team. When they were sold, the B team spot became vacant. So, should the Atlanta area get a team (and all indications are that it will, and soon), the B team role will once again be filled.

But the Wings are my hometown team. I remember seeing taped games that my uncle would sometimes send me from the 80s and 90s. They have always been, and will always be, my A team.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Have to admit I was not expecting the theme of the post from the title lol. I don't really see how it got mixed in maybe I missed the news.

But I can say if Holland would have got another extension I would have quit following the team. I had mostly checked out just watching the prospects mostly until Yzerman came in and refreshed the feeling of being a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad