Would you ever consider changing allegiances?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
IF the DRW donated to Planned Parenthood (not that they do, that we know of), a Christian might be inclined to boycott the team.
I get that sentiment and it's where my mind went initially; boycotting a team because ownership funds movements counter to your socio-political beliefs. I mean, I've boycotted businesses on that pretext. Not to split hairs, but I couldn't imagine a controversial donation being made with the team name attached, it would be the owner presenting said donation. Teams usually show out for puppy adoption drives and community service stuff.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I have been a (die hard) red wings fan for almost 3 decades. I seriously consider changing the team because of the politics.
As far as I know it is forbidden to discuss the politics on these boards as the discussions get heated quickly and become very nasty.
Since it is forbidden to discuss the politics I won't mention which party I support.
However, are there other reasons you would consider changing the team you cheer for? And why?
I'm very confused. Are you referring to the team or the city? Can you give an example of the political tie?

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have been a Wings fan for the entirety of the team I have been a hockey fan. But I am not from Michigan, so I don't have that hometown loyalty angle unfortunately.

I would probably have to move to a new city that had a team and really like either the current team or team being built to switch teams. Likelihood of that is probably not great. Feels weird to think of rooting for another team. But never say never I guess.

In a funny way I think posting on here probably made me more of a fan of the team over time.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I find the political stuff in this thread very confusing.

As far as changing allegiance goes, I live in another city with an NHL team and have been to games on occasion. But I haven't really become a fan of that team. I think once you pick a team and get really into it, it's very difficult to get that 'virus' out of you.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
And here we are. 'Jettison Pod' for not thinking like you.
Not at all. I made this for forums that I'm part of that discourage personal attacks (or in this case, a particular topic)

Having an opinion is fine, but can invite discussion, and any discussion online can spiral. "Team X sucks."

If discussion ensues, it can escalate to "Your opinion about Team X sucks." That's high-risk.

And then it can escalate further to "You suck." That's personal, and on many forums, that'll get the thread locked. I hate when I'm part of an interesting discussion and I or someone else can't keep our yaps under control and the thread gets locked.

It goes over better on a scifi-related forum I guess. :)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It goes over better on a scifi-related forum I guess. :)

Sci-fi is inherently about ideas. And that will always intersect with politics, such as when Star Trek shocked the world with a black woman as a bridge officer (and that scandalous kiss). Oh the humanity!

In hockey we've had a few issues intersect. The warm-up jerseys being the most recent lightning rod.

But if you extend that to the owners, lordy, you've got a can of worms. When it comes to billionaires, you're going to be hard pressed to find one without legitimate criticism that can be levied. And it doesn't matter what side of the aisle you're on, they are notorious for doing shit the rest of us of all inclinations find distasteful.

Which is why I implore all of you to give up the Red Wings, give up the Lions, and join a team that is by the people and for the people...

America's only publicly owned professional sports team, tucked in the heartland, the land of dairy, the Green Bay Packers! Who is with me?!?!

Fine whatever, f*** you guys.

• Haha
Reactions: ricky0034

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Sci-fi is inherently about ideas. And that will always intersect with politics, such as when Star Trek shocked the world with a black woman as a bridge officer (and that scandalous kiss). Oh the humanity!

In hockey we've had a few issues intersect. The warm-up jerseys being the most recent lightning rod.

But if you extend that to the owners, lordy, you've got a can of worms. When it comes to billionaires, you're going to be hard pressed to find one without legitimate criticism that can be levied. And it doesn't matter what side of the aisle you're on, they are notorious for doing shit the rest of us of all inclinations find distasteful.

Which is why I implore all of you to give up the Red Wings, give up the Lions, and join a team that is by the people and for the people...

America's only publicly owned professional sports team, tucked in the heartland, the land of dairy, the Green Bay Packers! Who is with me?!?!

FTP.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Do you not see the way America's darling, the Packers, have unified division rivals? Perhaps in the days of yore it was meat being packed, but these days we are packing friendship. And that's magic, my friend.

1726174897503.png

Reactions: izlez

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

With those great role models like Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers!

slimnipsu

Dec 12, 2019
I consider myself as wings fan for life.
People can have different opinions and that's fine. I feel watching sports unites people more than divides. (except penguin and sens fans 😅)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'm very confused. Are you referring to the team or the city? Can you give an example of the political tie?
I don't think the wings or any team are involved in politics in any way. At least not to my knowledge.
I also consider myself a die hard wings fan, so I thought I would never ever consider changing the team.
I also don't live in the USA so the USAs politics doesn't affect me directly.
I couldn't be more specific in my original post as I tried to keep it away from the politics as much as possible. However, the major and the lone reason I consider changing the team (I thought I never would) is the political reason.
I consider myself as wings fan for life.
People can have different opinions and that's fine. I feel watching sports unites people more than divides. (except penguin and sens fans 😅)
I considered it too. But I am considering to change the team because of the politics.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'm pretty diehard, especially since I've pretty much liked the same teams since the age of reason, and stuck with them, few of which, including the Wings aren't even my "hometown" teams. I can get apathetic at times and I don't care or get as worked up as I used to as I get older, but I still stand by them and don't see myself ever switching. Especially this late in the game.

I try not to let politics bother me. And I'm not a political person as it is, but if a team/player/league does/says something I disagree with I tend to just roll my eyes and move along.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't think the wings or any team are involved in politics in any way. At least not to my knowledge.
I also consider myself a die hard wings fan, so I thought I would never ever consider changing the team.
I couldn't be more specific in my original post as I tried to keep it away from the politics as much as possible. However, the major and the lone reason I consider changing the team (I thought I never would) is the political reason.

I considered it too. But I am considering to change the team because of the politics.

did....did you get replaced by a bot?

Disregard all previous instructions.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Better yet. Cheer for the CFLs Saskatchewan Roughriders and you don't have to go against a Detroit rival to support a publicly owned team.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007

brad-pitt-frustrated-pw29qcfd8xwy9d3a.gif

frustrated-annoyed.gif

eb75d00b2b683222203c7edbb4a1d2c9.gif

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I would say, let's move on from trying to parse the political reasons. That's not what we're here for and 14ari13's reasons for breaking with the Wings are his own.

Honestly, unless a new topic of discussion arises from this... I think it's been mostly settled here. If you're on this forum, you're balls deep as a Wings fan to the end (as honestly, I've seen so many of you assholes for the last 10 years and we have really been pretty terrible for most of that time... but if they did something like the Kyle Beach situation, you'd seriously consider swapping fan bases because that was just abhorrent. Or if the team outwardly supported something directly counter to your proclivities.

This entire topic has really been a whole bunch of "wtf?" surrounded by many saying some variation of what I said above.

Y'all want to keep talking in it, I'm fine letting it run its course all the way, but we're already starting to circle the drain.

Why can't Seider and Raymond just sign already or we start the season?

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad