Would you ever consider changing allegiances?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
sFG23DG.png

And here we are. 'Jettison Pod' for not thinking like you.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
The more I think on this question asked after all of the political stuff, the more I do wonder if say a sale to an owner who had a track record of killing teams (Alex Meruelo) would be a cause for pause of fandom.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
We have argued about downtown development promises quite a bit, along with stadium subsidies. I think a part of that where it isn’t as controversial as I support x side and the owner is supporting the other so I hate that guy… Obviously the political angle has changed tremendously since I first joined where that debate was allowed.
I'm gonna guess that this isn't an issue near and dear to the guy from Norway's heart.

Which just continues to leave me confused in this thread

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
As someone who pays a lot of attention to politics, in what ways have the Wings been politically involved? I wasn't even aware of this.

Like I'm not asking for an opinion on the issues, I just don't even know what we're talking about.
I took it as the general politics of billionaires being billionaires and doing billionaire things. I don't think the Red Wings, as an organization, have engaged in any politics in terms of.... the current landscape. But that's just me making assumptions. I hope this isn't another rainbow-tape adjacent social issue or something.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
i am a billionaire and your comments are deeply offensive to me
For $500,000 I will happily fire @jaster into the sun. PM me for wiring instructions, Mr. Billionaire.

To answer the thread, I'm sort of in the same boat as @Winger98. My interest in different sports ebbs and flows, but my team allegiances don't. I'm having a hard time getting into the hockey season just because the Wings have been bad for so long.

Honestly, the one sport I will always love and watch no matter how bad or good my team plays is baseball. You never get over your first love.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think taxpayer-subsidized stadium financing is a huge scam that benefits billionaires, but if that's a dealbreaker for someone as a fan the list of other teams for them to support is unfortunately going to be a short one.

I also don't think of it as particularly political, in the current sense. Yes it's gaming the political system but I don't think there's a side that's arguing we should have many more taxpayer-funded stadiums for team owners and wants to change policy to reflect that.
I agree on the higher level view. I have certainly seen those turn political quickly and have a lot of inaccuracies in a hurry.

The business board has always balanced this aspect with better civility than the team boards around here in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For $500,000 I will happily fire @jaster into the sun. PM me for wiring instructions, Mr. Billionaire.

To answer the thread, I'm sort of in the same boat as @Winger98. My interest in different sports ebbs and flows, but my team allegiances don't. I'm having a hard time getting into the hockey season just because the Wings have been bad for so long.

Honestly, the one sport I will always love and watch no matter how bad or good my team plays is baseball. You never get over your first love.
For me that first love is hockey. I am pretty much down to hockey across several leagues and NFL football. I have been box score watching the Tigers. I don’t think I would even tune in to watch the Pistons in the playoffs anymore. I didn’t watch March Madness the last couple years either.

My complete old man moment was this summer realizing I have on golf while I do things around the house now… It was like oh man this makes me feel older than my strange why is that sore moments😂

Reactions: SoupNazi

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I think taxpayer-subsidized stadium financing is a huge scam that benefits billionaires, but if that's a dealbreaker for someone as a fan the list of other teams for them to support is unfortunately going to be a short one.

I also don't think of it as particularly political, in the current sense. Yes it's gaming the political system but I don't think there's a side that's arguing we should have many more taxpayer-funded stadiums for team owners and wants to change policy to reflect that.

Agreed, as an overall statement, I would say if taxpayer-funded stadiums are a dealbreaker... you have a rude awakening about professional sports in general.

Tax payer funded stadiums are billionaires saying "why spend mine when I can spend yours".

Is this because they don't play enough Kid Rock in the arena?
Bench.... come on, man, if we're gonna ask others to follow the line, mods probably ought to do it too.

And lastly, TZE, that's my take. I'm definitely scoreboard watching the Tigers a lot harder now that they're three games out. When it was 2006 and they were on that kickass run to the World Series, I was glued basically every game. When the Wings were on that heater in December and then when they were in the dogfight for the playoffs last year, I watched them all. But I only begrudgingly saw the Pistons last year if they aired highlights immediately following a Lions game. But the PIstons bring in a core of players I can get excited about and not a mishmash of ill-casted non-shooters? I'm in.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
What line did I cross exactly? There's no commentary. Are we just not allowed to make Kid Rock jokes?

Hey guys, look, your Nazi nightmare mod is being oppressed, too.

But hey, fair enough. I just was on high alert because of the way the original topic was written... it was clearly trying to get a politics discussion going while saying it was something else.

I was pre-disposed coming in to be hyper-aware.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
IF the DRW donated to Planned Parenthood (not that they do, that we know of), a Christian might be inclined to boycott the team.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Is this because they don't play enough Kid Rock in the arena?
I'm going to go ahead and say it, our arena music is objectively shit. I don't want to hear a remix of Smells Like Teen Spirit with heavy drum and bass over dubbed, just play the goddamn original. We don't need a drum line, especially when the team is down 5-1. If there's one grievance I have with the owners/arena operators, it's that they let this malarkey stand.

Reactions: Winger98

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I'm going to go ahead and say it, our arena music is objectively shit. I don't want to hear a remix of Smells Like Teen Spirit with heavy drum and bass over dubbed, just play the goddamn original. We don't need a drum line, especially when the team is down 5-1. If there's one grievance I have with the owners/arena operators, it's that they let this malarkey stand.

Do we have a 55 on the roster? I miss the Sammy Hagar drop for Kronner big plays.

Edit: And yes, this is something I agree wtih. Miss the old days of Stompin Tom Connors, Detroit Rock City, and Hey, Hey Hockeytown.

Only thing I can think is the original Smells Like Teen Spirit might cost a bunch for licensing?

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Do we have a 55 on the roster? I miss the Sammy Hagar drop for Kronner big plays.

Edit: And yes, this is something I agree wtih. Miss the old days of Stompin Tom Connors, Detroit Rock City, and Hey, Hey Hockeytown.

Only thing I can think is the original Smells Like Teen Spirit might cost a bunch for licensing?
Even so, watching games on TV you can hear other arenas (Philly, NJ, Boston) that has all sorts of good licensed music, such as the original Teen Spirit, Offspring, Aerosmith etc.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
IF the DRW donated to Planned Parenthood (not that they do, that we know of), a Christian might be inclined to boycott the team.
Your example is presented as a hypothetical. The original post is presented as if the Detroit Red Wings have already engaged in activities that could be considered as hot button from a political perspective. So I'm still lost on what this thread is actually about.

But from purely an on-ice perspective, while I would not officially adopt another NHL team, my fandom absolutely ebbs and flows with my satisfaction with the strategy of this franchise. If a team that needs to rebuild does so and drafts well, I'm still all in despite the lack of points in the standings. But *cue mods tensing for dead horse topic* I was to the point of outright rooting against the team during the last few years of the playoff streak, because I saw it as purely a financial decision that made no sense with regards to the reality of the competitive cycle.

Give me a reason to believe that there is either a return on investment or a high chance of one down the road, and it's thumbs up all around. Spin your wheels to just bilk the die hards for gate fees to a dead end product, and life is too short to waste time on that nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad